Old 18-04-2012, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default The rain is back

After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 18-04-2012, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 06:21:09 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay

What a difference a bay makes!

This end we're getting heavy but short squalls - 5 minutes to get
soaked - then sun or high cloud for an hour or two before another
squall.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 18-04-2012, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/18/2012 03:21 PM, Dave Hill wrote:
After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay

Heavy rain today here in Normandy, have to say I'm pretty happy to see
it. The ground is still dry a few inches down though. After the last 5
days at least the fields are greening up.

Can't say I was very happy about the hail though, it was very thick and
won't do cherries and pears much good.

Sorry to hear about your flooding, Baz.

-E
Old 18-04-2012, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay

We, or at least further up the Swansea valley, must have had very heavy
rain overnight as the River Tawe was bank high today in spate.

Bill

Old 18-04-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay

It's been raining here in Leics for 24 hours. Although we never had the
drought others had, my new allotment was certainly dry after we took off the
surface tussocky grass and nettles with the digger.
So I'm fairly happy that what we have sown and planted recently will be
enjoying it.
OTOH if it does not stop soon, the bridge under the railway will be flooded
and I won't be able to get down the village to it..
Tina

Old 20-04-2012, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes
We had to travel to Staffordshire to experience the rain and hail.
--

Martin

Thunder, lightning, hail, bright sunshine then back to thunder,
lightning and heavy rain with a bit of hail ........
That's us in Amersham at the moment

I see May is forecast to be the coldest on record since 18 year dot.
Snow wind and old on East side mainly.

Being blamed on Gulf Stream by the look of it...
OTOH they have been wrong before !
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 20-04-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-20 17:34:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

I see May is forecast to be the coldest on record since 18 year dot.
Snow wind and old on East side mainly.

Being blamed on Gulf Stream by the look of it...
OTOH they have been wrong before !

I just don't understand this 'prediction' stuff. From what I've
seen/read/heard the absolutely stretched utmost is 5 days and that's
pushing it, especially on an island! ...

You can do a bit better, but the probability of being right drops
off fast. However, the medium-term forecasts are little better than
guesswork.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2012, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
On 2012-04-20 17:34:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

I see May is forecast to be the coldest on record since 18 year dot.
Snow wind and old on East side mainly.

Being blamed on Gulf Stream by the look of it...
OTOH they have been wrong before !

I just don't understand this 'prediction' stuff. From what I've
seen/read/heard the absolutely stretched utmost is 5 days and that's
pushing it, especially on an island! ...

You can do a bit better, but the probability of being right drops
off fast. However, the medium-term forecasts are little better than
guesswork.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick, if you still look at UK rec Walking you will have sen this site:-

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Swansea-UKXX0146

Enter your city of choice

Some quesswork eh ?

Bill

Old 21-04-2012, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
After a light 0,5" of rain a couple of days ago overnight we had a
further 1 inch so that we now have flowing water down the track and
out of the little gate.
Now after months of moaning about no rain it wont be long before we
are back to "I wish the rain would stop, we can't do anything in the
garden it's so wet"
Never happy some people.
David @ the Wet end of Swansea Bay

Never had such serious rain as here recently. It throws it down most days.
I will have to re-sow my peas and leeks.
Tina