Old 19-04-2012, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mini greenhouse

I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How
can I anchor it without making holes in the cover?
Old 19-04-2012, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham K." wrote in news:cqUjr.240505$Js7.84024
@fx16.am4:

I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How
can I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

Doesn't it already have guy ropes and eyes to do this? Most do.
If not you will struggle.

Baz
Old 19-04-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:

I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How
can I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

Doesn't it already have guy ropes and eyes to do this? Most do.
If not you will struggle.

Baz

Depends what you mean by mini greenhouse. If it's one of those little
"against the wall" jobs, the good ones have eyelets in the seams and
you can drill into a wall and put some hooks in to attach the
greenhouse to a wall.

If it's the free-standing type, you really need somewhere sheltered. I
got one a few years back when I ran out of space and then bought a box
of metal tent pegs, bent the hook ends out a bit to fit over the frame
at the bottom and hammered them into the ground about a foot apart.
Bit of wind and the thing blew over so I doubled up the tent pegs. Bit
of wind and the bottom frame stayed put on the ground but the rest
detached itself. It went to the tip as I didn't want to glue all the
bits together.

I then bought half a dozen little ones on wheels -
http://tinyurl.com/brhbpzd - save that I got them as a job lot on eBay
for around a tenner each. I just wheel them indoors when it's too
windy. Once I've finished using them, they come apart and go in boxes
in the loft until the next year.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 19-04-2012, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham K." wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

Old 19-04-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2012 16:03, Ragnar wrote:
"Graham wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

This is
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst08044i/

and stands on concrete slabs near to a fence.

It has no eyelets or other fixing.
I guess burning holes and sealing with hot glue then tie to fence is
best idea.

Thanks for replies

Old 19-04-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Graham wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

This is
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst08044i/

and stands on concrete slabs near to a fence.

It has no eyelets or other fixing.
I guess burning holes and sealing with hot glue then tie to fence is
best idea.

Thanks for replies

It there some frame-fitting in the base which you could cover with
concrete slabs, then put your growbags on top?

Janet
Old 19-04-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:03:53 PM UTC+1, Ragnar wrote:
"Graham K." wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

You might try using eyelets from a camping shop, e.g.
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/instant-hold-on-eyelets
or
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/w4-bra...lets-13mm-10pk

Andy McC
Old 19-04-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Graham wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover.
How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

This is
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst08044i/

and stands on concrete slabs near to a fence.

It has no eyelets or other fixing.
I guess burning holes and sealing with hot glue then tie to fence is
best idea.

Thanks for replies

It there some frame-fitting in the base which you could cover with
concrete slabs, then put your growbags on top?

I've used two of these for a few years with a patio slab on the bottom.
Pete C

Old 19-04-2012, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover.
How can
I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

This is
http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/...-prodst08044i/

and stands on concrete slabs near to a fence.

It has no eyelets or other fixing.
I guess burning holes and sealing with hot glue then tie to fence is
best idea.

Thanks for replies

I used plastic pipe brackets (the ones for 15mm copper pipe I think).
They snapped over the frame and the plastic without tearing it. Then the
plastic disintegrated after a year or two of uv exposure. Then I bought
a replacement cover and got another couple of years. Now the metal parts
are used as shelves inside my shed. Project abandoned.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote in message

"Graham K." wrote in message
I have one of these. A tubular frame with reinforced plastic cover. How
can I anchor it without making holes in the cover?

I had to make holes in the one I bought. But don't use a knife - melt a
hole with a hot poker or similar, it will be stronger.

HTH
R.

A hot poker will also mend a split in the sole of your wellingtons. You do,
of course, need a flame, either from a fire or from a gas cooker top to heat
it. If you are all electric, you're stuffed ;-)
Tina

Old 23-04-2012, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:44:05 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

A hot poker will also mend a split in the sole of your wellingtons. You
do, of course, need a flame, either from a fire or from a gas cooker top
to heat. If you are all electric, you're stuffed ;-)

Any sensible "all electric" place has at the very least a small
camping gaz stove to make a brew when the power goes off surely?

As for mini green houses provided it can be placed somewhere *very*
sheltered it might survive. SWMBO'd bought one I don't think it got
through the first gale without falling over, getting bent and the
cover detaching itself. Couple of eye bolts into the paving got it
tied down but the cover then thrashed itself to bits within a year. I
think the frame and selves are now in the shed as storeage.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-04-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:44:05 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

A hot poker will also mend a split in the sole of your wellingtons. You
do, of course, need a flame, either from a fire or from a gas cooker top
to heat. If you are all electric, you're stuffed ;-)

Any sensible "all electric" place has at the very least a small
camping gaz stove to make a brew when the power goes off surely?

I'm covered. Gas hob, electric oven, woodburner and a calor gas stove. and
candles.

Old 24-04-2012, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 22:52:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:44:05 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

A hot poker will also mend a split in the sole of your wellingtons. You
do, of course, need a flame, either from a fire or from a gas cooker top
to heat. If you are all electric, you're stuffed ;-)

Any sensible "all electric" place has at the very least a small
camping gaz stove to make a brew when the power goes off surely?

I'm covered. Gas hob, electric oven, woodburner and a calor gas stove. and
candles.

Had a power cut recently. Got gas hob and camping stove so no problem.
Wrong! No matches!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 24-04-2012, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm covered. Gas hob, electric oven, woodburner and a calor gas stove. and
candles.

Four of em?

Had a power cut recently. Got gas hob and camping stove so no problem.
Wrong! No matches!

One of my camping staves has piezo ignition.

--
Phil Cook
Old 27-04-2012, 02:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-04-23 22:52:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:44:05 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

A hot poker will also mend a split in the sole of your wellingtons.
You
do, of course, need a flame, either from a fire or from a gas cooker
top
to heat. If you are all electric, you're stuffed ;-)

Any sensible "all electric" place has at the very least a small
camping gaz stove to make a brew when the power goes off surely?

I'm covered. Gas hob, electric oven, woodburner and a calor gas stove.
and
candles.

Aga, electric oven, gas hob, log & coal fires, wind up torches, candles!
--

wind up torches too, I forget to mention those..
No Aga.