Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-04-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ponds - garden small variety

I have posted about my pond before - being overgrown, having lost all my
frogs ( except one I think and two or three newts).

I am beginning to wonder if my pond has a leak. Despite all my attempts and
no draught here and I have redirected the roof water into the pond ..... I
still seem to find my pond is not filling up. It just seems to be getting
less and less water. Its now down to the shallow ledge on the edge. Its
never as far as I can recall been that low before.

How can I find out if I have a leak? The ground around the pond is dryish
but if the leak were in the base it would go straight down wouldn't it?

Its a plastic pre formed pond. Its been there at least 20 years I think ( I
inherited it complete with a colony of thirty frogs and numerous newts and
other things) .

If I need to change it, what should I do? Take out the old one wholesale and
leave the wildlife in there and set the new one in place? I cant see how I
can move the poor little frog and his newt friends easily.