Old 01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered User

Default Acer has rooted through it's pot!

Hi all.
I'm new here and (as you can no doubt tell from the title of this thread, not exactly an experienced gardener).

I have 2 beautiful Acers's in my garden and planned to re-pot them as they have grown significantly, but they have actually rooted through the pots and into the ground.
I am selling my house and don't want to leave them but don't want to harm them either.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Many thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2012 03:20 PM, Spring12 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm new here and (as you can no doubt tell from the title of this
thread, not exactly an experienced gardener).

I have 2 beautiful Acers's in my garden and planned to re-pot them as
they have grown significantly, but they have actually rooted through the
pots and into the ground.
I am selling my house and don't want to leave them but don't want to
harm them either.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Many thanks.

Just cut through the roots that connect them to the ground, and take
them with you. Acers respond well to root pruning, so it's not likely
to damage them. Keep them in partial shade this summer and don't let
them dry out too much; but don't overwater or feed either. Next fall
once they've lost their leaves you can bang them in bigger pots. Make
sure the soil is very free draining.

-E
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
Spring12

I'd lift them with a spade and see how much root is through the pot.
If the pots are cheap plastic then I'd break them off the root ball
(the pots that is) and repot the acers, you could cut out any thick
roots that had grown through but leave the small fiberous ones, do so
ASAP.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay where this weekend has given us 2
inches, fairly normal for us.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring12 View Post
I have 2 beautiful Acers's in my garden and planned to re-pot them as they have grown significantly, but they have actually rooted through the pots and into the ground.
.
If a tree in a pot starts to "grow significantly", it usually does mean it's got a root out of the bottom and in to the soil! Others have advised you what to do this time - in future, it's worth rocking pots now and again to see if they've tethered themselves, and most certainly do it of one of the trees seems to be growing really well.
__________________
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I'd lift them with a spade and see how much root is through the pot.
If the pots are cheap plastic then I'd break them off the root ball
(the pots that is) and repot the acers, you could cut out any thick
roots that had grown through but leave the small fiberous ones, do so
ASAP.

Yes I'd do same, if it's a clay pot you can then break it to get to the
plant. I don't think I'd risk cutting off a LOT of root!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 07-05-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2012 01:43 AM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I'd lift them with a spade and see how much root is through the pot.
If the pots are cheap plastic then I'd break them off the root ball
(the pots that is) and repot the acers, you could cut out any thick
roots that had grown through but leave the small fiberous ones, do so
ASAP.

Yes I'd do same, if it's a clay pot you can then break it to get to the
plant. I don't think I'd risk cutting off a LOT of root!

It was better advice than I gave, somehow a spade never occurred. :/

Still, you really don't need to worry about cutting off a lot of root,
unless it's really large. They don't seem to mind.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful!
I will do this asap. :-)

what compost to pot plant acer keith United Kingdom 5 09-09-2003 12:29 AM
Bare rooted trees David United Kingdom 5 10-02-2003 07:20 PM
Bare Rooted Trees David Gardening 1 09-02-2003 06:15 PM
Bare rooted Sweet William plants -- where to get them ?? Bob United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 06:48 PM