Old 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fern ID

Found in a beech wood, about 10 yards from pavement along its boundary,
this a throwout (the root ball is not connected to the ground proper),
and presumably some form of ornamental fern.

It's the remains of last year fronds. As of today there was no sign of
fresh fronds.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernA.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernB.JPG

Anyone recognise it?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Anyone recognise it?

Looks like what is called a "Boston Fern" here. We hosted one for the
winter and it did poorly....currently it's outdoors under a semi-open clump
of pines to hopefully recuperate.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Found in a beech wood, about 10 yards from pavement along its boundary,
this a throwout (the root ball is not connected to the ground proper),
and presumably some form of ornamental fern.

It's the remains of last year fronds. As of today there was no sign of
fresh fronds.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernA.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernB.JPG

Anyone recognise it?

The trouble is that there are a fair number like that, and I think
that you would need more information for a positive identification.
Unfortunately, that is almost the sum of my knowledge on the topic!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Wed, 2 May 2012 20:57:55 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

Found in a beech wood, about 10 yards from pavement along its boundary,
this a throwout (the root ball is not connected to the ground proper),
and presumably some form of ornamental fern.

It's the remains of last year fronds. As of today there was no sign of
fresh fronds.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernA.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernB.JPG

Anyone recognise it?

Dryopteris erythrosora? From China and Japan. Quite ornamental, as the
young fronds are a coppery pink colour.

But that's only because it looks like it in a book on ferns I happened
to pick up second hand that I thought might be useful one day. I'm no
expert!

I think you may have it. (As Dryopteris erythrosora is one of the
commoner harder ferns in garden centres, it would make sense as the
identification of a throwout.) Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...

Found in a beech wood, about 10 yards from pavement along its boundary,
this a throwout (the root ball is not connected to the ground proper),
and presumably some form of ornamental fern.

It's the remains of last year fronds. As of today there was no sign of
fresh fronds.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernA.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/FernB.JPG

Anyone recognise it?

It looks like the ones that keep growing in pots of other plants in my
greenhouse. If I like them I pot them up grow on and plant out somewhere
suitable.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.