Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

Previous years I had bought B&Q compost - and this choice was reinforced by
Which?'s best buy result.

This year they have changed the compost - and it is appalling. The bag I
bought was full of bits of wood - some bits of polythene and also white mould
on some of the wood.

I have just tried an Aldi bag - and it is much the same (but cheaper). It even
had a section of an old green plastic plant tie in it. There was an awful lot
of unrotted small wood chippings in it.

I guess this all comes about by local authorities making "compost" from the
recyclable rubbish. I know that my own does; I have never bought any directly
from them as I was just not happy at not knowing what was in it. What if
someone had put some old plant material which had been treated with weed-killer
in their recyclable refuse?

Moan over.

What do other people use for general purpose compost (growing tomatoes in) and
also compost for seeds and seedlings?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

Recently bought from B&Q.......
topsoil with 10mm stones in it.
potting compost with large grit in it.
I suspect the potting compost held the spores that killed my sweetcorn.
I went to a garden centre and got some JI peat free for the next lot.
Pete C

Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and soil,
both from Wicks! 1 bag of each mixed together. Never tried B&Q but all these
sheds (Wicks included do not make compost so are reliant on who they get it
from whereas the branded named composts at least have some quality control
but are usually much more expensive, I still use Levingtons for seeds
because I want to be sure its ok as some of the seed is not replaceable, but
once the plants are growing well I am happy to use the cheaper composts

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/2012 17:15, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

We use New Horizon (Formerly JA Bowers)for most things. Looks a bit
funny but things grow well (v.small petunia seedlings looked a bit
unhappy on transplanting in). Westland Surestart for fine seeds and
cuttings.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

I just buy the recycles centre compost and riddle it for planting seeds. Mix
in some sand.
All compost is full of fungus, how else can it rot down?
Never have any problems.

If you wanted to get rid of the fungus, it would have to be disinfected.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 12, 6:08*pm, "harryagain" wrote:
"Judith" wrote in message

[...]

If you wanted to get rid of the fungus, it would have to be disinfected.- Hide quoted text -

It takes time but the message get out eventualy.
I posted about the B & Q Multi pourpous compost a few weeks back.
They have changed supplier and what has been the "Gardening Which best
buy" for many yeard must now be a "Don't Buy".
Not only that but they have now put the price up and are still
retaining the reviews for last couple of years so missleading any one
reading them into thinking it's the same stuff.
I have been using around 15 bakes a year but am also looking for a sew
supplyWhy B & Q?
Well for a start, seived and with pearlite added it was a good mix for
dahlia cuttings.
Also they were just 2 miles down the road, (now almost 4) and used to
have 1 or 2 artics of compost a week delivered, so it was always
fresh, and they acted as stock holder for me. and with the Wed
discount it all saved me money.
David @ the wet but sunny end of Swansea Bay.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and soil,
both from Wicks! 1 bag of each mixed together. Never tried B&Q but all these
sheds (Wicks included do not make compost so are reliant on who they get it
from whereas the branded named composts at least have some quality control
but are usually much more expensive, I still use Levingtons for seeds
because I want to be sure its ok as some of the seed is not replaceable, but
once the plants are growing well I am happy to use the cheaper composts

I have given up on peat-free lightweight composts, as being disaster
areas, and had good results for my seeds this year with a nominally
JI seed compost. My potting compost is 50:50 garden compost and
soil, but you need the right soil (mine is 60% sand and 22% clay,
so ideal for that).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 May 2012 16:54:41 +0100, Judith
wrote:

[...]

I upset Alan Titchmarsh by growing everything in coir. I mix in
vermiculite for seed sowing. The main thing is getting the feeding
regime right as coir is both sterile and totally nutrient-free. I use
Westland multi-purpose or my own compost for larger stuff or JI No 2/3
with Perlite mixed in.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
I upset Alan Titchmarsh by growing everything in coir. I mix in
vermiculite for seed sowing. The main thing is getting the feeding
regime right as coir is both sterile and totally nutrient-free. I use
Westland multi-purpose or my own compost for larger stuff or JI No 2/3
with Perlite mixed in.

Why does this upset MrTitchmarsh?
Old 13-05-2012, 07:37 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and soil,
both from Wicks!
J Arthurs Bowers peat free is the New Horizon mentioned below. This year Which? is saying it gave them the best test results, not just among peat free, but compared with peat containing composts too.

I use New Horizon for general purpose, I use their seed compost for seeds, and I us New Horizon with sand or grit for cacti.
__________________

Old 13-05-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 12, 4:54*pm, Judith wrote:
[...]

Judith, do what I have done, go onto the B & Q website and do a review
of it, I gave it 1 star and called it rubbish.
David
Old 13-05-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I upset Alan Titchmarsh by growing everything in coir. I mix in
vermiculite for seed sowing. The main thing is getting the feeding
regime right as coir is both sterile and totally nutrient-free. I use
Westland multi-purpose or my own compost for larger stuff or JI No 2/3
with Perlite mixed in.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Virtual hydroponics then? The use of Rockwool etc proves that plants
thrive in any medium that incorporates air and moisture. Not my idea of
a flower bed mind :-)

Old 13-05-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 May 2012 06:37:21 +0000, kay
wrote:

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;958550']
J Arthur Bowers Peat free is the most consistent of the Peat Free
composts
but we get good results on the nursery using a mix of Peat free and
soil,
both from Wicks!

J Arthurs Bowers peat free is the New Horizon mentioned below. This year
Which? is saying it gave them the best test results, not just among peat
free, but compared with peat containing composts too.

I use New Horizon for general purpose, I use their seed compost for
seeds, and I us New Horizon with sand or grit for cacti.

What really annoys me is the compaction of compost bags when piled up
in garden centres. I won't buy one now which is pressed like a brick.
If it's compacted it's such a menace to get friable again.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-05-2012, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 12 May 2012 16:54:41 UTC+1, Judith wrote:
[...]

I feel a gardener's revolt against 'reduced peat' composts coming on.
If you can find an unPC garden centre Erin still do their old peat based general compost. Clover also do a peat based compost.

Rod
Old 13-05-2012, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Judith wrote:

Previous years I had bought B&Q compost ...
This year they have changed the compost - and it is appalling. The bag I
bought was full of bits of wood - some bits of polythene and also white mould
on some of the wood.

I have just tried an Aldi bag - and it is much the same (but cheaper). It
even had a section of an old green plastic plant tie in it. ...

I guess this all comes about by local authorities making "compost" from the
recyclable rubbish. ...

Well it's not "rubbish" is it? It's recyclable garden waste. The
problem of plastic comes from lazy buggers chucking their rubbish (bags,
pots, etc) in with their recyclable garden waste: it is just about
impossible for the compost processing people to "weed out" the rubbish.

What if someone had put some old plant material which had been treated with
weed-killer in their recyclable refuse?

Interesting question -- I always thought that the temperatures generated
in the "council"[1] heaps is so great that nothing (but plastic and
metal) survives.

John

[1] It's not actually "the council", is it? It's their sub-contractors,
on a nice little earner!