Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trapping squirrels

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

I bought a squirrel cage trap from Amazon and caught a squirrel
within
10 minutes of leaving the trap open in the garden.

Once caught I quickly realised that I didn't have it in me to kill
the
squirrel - as destructive as they are in chewing timber frame
houses
and damaging plants and trees.

and that's what you need to think about when you get a trap and get
one, your target. Now what will you do?
Please don't trap, unless you can kill them yourself, or get someone
in, quickly, who can.

You do NOt HAVE to kill them directly, if you just leave the buggers
in
the trap, after a short while, they will die anyway!

Alan
What, from thirst or hunger? Totally unacceptable. If I was forced
trap, what I caught was shot very quickly.

But there are a number of us who do not have acess to a gun, and in any
case with some traps you would have to shoot the damned things several
times before you managed to kill it, so is this any more cruel that
letting the thing die anyway

If you cannot give the animal you trap a dignified quick death, you
should
not be trapping them. Full stop.
I can't believe I am having this conversation.

How quick is quick?

Just asking.

Alan

Immediate. Instant. Do not leave them in a trap.

How do you kill them instantly?

Alan

Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 22:58:01 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:32:36 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:57:56 +0100, Jake
wrote:

On Sun, 27 May 2012 19:28:52 +0000, snowathlete
wrote:

Would starving them of oxygen in a plastic bag be humane?

No.

Why are grey squirrels tree rats and red squirrels cuddly little
animals?

I would ask the same question. Humans introduced grey squirrels into
the country. In their own place they are not a problem; just here they
carry a virus that kills the native reds. That isn't their fault.

I think you will find it was not humans who introduced then but one stupid
bugger who did not want to pay to keep them any more!

Alan

Deliberately released as "an exotic" in a park in Cheshire in 1870s.
(Even on your argument, the "one stupid bugger" would have been a
human.)

Unfortunately, history is full of lessons that should have been
learned by gardeners and others. Non-native-species are always an
unknown - even the slightest difference from their normal habitat may,
over time, make a major difference to their survival/reproduction
rate. But, at the end of the day, most non-natives didn't introduce
themselves and we shouldn't condemn them but, rather, accept the
blame.

Incidentally, whilst greys are vilified for feeding on the contents of
birds' nests, let's not forget that reds will also feed on them.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

If you must, club them over the head or if you're in a position to do so,
shoot them. If you can't kill them instantly, leave them alone.

It is very difficult to club them whilst they are in a trap, and you would
not want to take them out to do it, they can do a lot of damage to anyone
who is silly enough to try to handle them, they have razor sharp tallons.

It has been suggested that you get them into a sack and beat the buggers to
death, but I'm sure it would take several striks to eventually kill them,
during which time they are suffering a great deal of pain.

As for shooting them you have to have a firearms licence which I do not, and
even shooting them can cause them a great deal of pain because they run from
one end to the other of the traps, and they do not stay still enough for you
to get them in one shot, you may injure them and you would have to have
several attempts to manage to make the final fatal shot, in the meantime

--
Sacha

Old 03-06-2012, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 15:12:43 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

As for shooting them you have to have a firearms licence which I do not,

You don't need a firearms certificate for an air pistol.

and even shooting them can cause them a great deal of pain because they
run from one end to the other of the traps, and they do not stay still
enough for you to get them in one shot,

As I suggested earlier one would have to pin them to the side of the
trap by inserting bits of wood or WHY through the bars to reduce the
size that they can move about in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan
said:

"Christina wrote in
message

"Alan wrote in message

"Christina wrote in
message

"Alan wrote in message
news
"Christina wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
.. .
wrote in
:

[...]

You can get an air rifle without a fire arms certificate, they are
nothing like the ones that we had when I was young.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

That won't be possible if the animal is in a squirrel trap.

Janet.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

It is very difficult to club them whilst they are in a trap, and you would
not want to take them out to do it, they can do a lot of damage to anyone
who is silly enough to try to handle them, they have razor sharp tallons.

It has been suggested that you get them into a sack and beat the buggers
to death, but I'm sure it would take several striks to eventually kill
them, during which time they are suffering a great deal of pain.

As for shooting them you have to have a firearms licence which I do not,
and even shooting them can cause them a great deal of pain because they
run from one end to the other of the traps, and they do not stay still
enough for you to get them in one shot, you may injure them and you would
have to have several attempts to manage to make the final fatal shot, in
the meantime they are suffering a great deal!

You don't need a firearms certificate for a gun that will quickly dispatch a
squirrel with one shot. Most professional pest controllers use an air
pistol, usually a Crosman gas-powered .22 pistol that produces close to but
safely below the legal limit of 6 ftlbs muzzle energy. A single shot to the
head does the job instantly. You can use a cage-restrictor, slotted into the
cage through the bars from the outside, to confine the squirrel so that it
cannot run about in the trap. The same method is also often used for rats
and birds and a larger version for foxes, though for them a firearm is used
for the killing shot.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 03-06-2012, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-03 15:12:43 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

In that case, it's time to call in a pest controller, if they're causing a
lot of damage in your garden.

How many hundred will a pest controller be able to catch?

Alan

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-03 15:12:43 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote
in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

None on the Isle of Wight as we only have the Reds :-))

Mike

(Hope you noticed that I didn't prune the rest of the thread in accordance
with the practice of the regulars who own the newsgroup and ignore the rules
and regulations which are posted so often. As a regular poster myself I have
chosen not to prune and to ignore the recommendations)

Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-03 15:12:43 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote
in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

Lucky you, wish there were reds around here!

Alan

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 21:27:21 +0100, Alan Holmes wrote:

None on the Isle of Wight as we only have the Reds :-))

Lucky you, wish there were reds around here!

Reds around here and a "hotline" number to call if a grey is spotted.
Brings out the guns...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
Thanks O and for the additional information via email. The price of
some of the beautiful shotguns made me wince ut one can see the work
that went into them and the precision.

Not hugely expensive but my .410 has a beautiful stock Will send pics if
you like

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

In article , says...

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

As Ophelia has suggested, buying a Crossman 2240 and getting a little
practice should enable a clean kill in the trap. For a few pounds more, Alan
could add a suppressor to the pistol, so the neighbours wouldn't hear the
shot, and he could perhaps make believe he is James Bond whilst saving his
back garden from these fearsome creatures.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

In article , says...

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote
in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

*rolls eyes*

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 04-06-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-04 16:01:04 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"BAC" wrote in message

In article , says...

On 2012-06-02 19:12:31 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

On 2012-06-01 22:47:29 +0100, "Alan Holmes"

said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote
in
message

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news
"Christina Websell" wrote
in
message ...

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Gareth" wrote in
:

[...]

I enjoyed reading that the 'James Bond' boat played that theme as it went
past the MI6 building yesterday! ;-)

lol wonderful

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/