Old 21-05-2012, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default poly tunnel cover

My polytunnel needs a new cover, I can buy one ready made or buy the plastic
by the metre and cover it myself. My query is, would that be too big a job
to tackle single handed do you think?

kate

Old 21-05-2012, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
My polytunnel needs a new cover, I can buy one ready made or buy the
plastic by the metre and cover it myself. My query is, would that be too
big a job to tackle single handed do you think?

kate

Depends on the size really

AND

if the wind is blowing :-((

I have a 9 x 3 metre gazebo and if the wind is blowing when we, note WE, try
to put the cover over, it's a bit of a risky business. That needs 4 at
least.

Mike

Old 21-05-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 21, 7:08*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
My polytunnel needs a new cover, I can buy one ready made or buy the plastic
by the metre and cover it myself. My query is, would that be too big a job
to tackle single handed do you think?

kate

If you said
What make it is
What size it is
How the polythene is fixed to the frame at the ends
How it is fastened along the sides
Then just possibly we can answer your question.

I cover 18ft x 60 ft and 30ft x 50ft tunnels on my own, but I have
been doing it for over 30 years.

David @ the sunny half of Swansea Bay.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 21, 7:08 pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
My polytunnel needs a new cover, I can buy one ready made or buy the
plastic
by the metre and cover it myself. My query is, would that be too big a job
to tackle single handed do you think?

kate

If you said
What make it is
What size it is
How the polythene is fixed to the frame at the ends
How it is fastened along the sides
Then just possibly we can answer your question.

I cover 18ft x 60 ft and 30ft x 50ft tunnels on my own, but I have
been doing it for over 30 years.

David @ the sunny half of Swansea Bay.
The tunnel frame is 10ft long and about 6 ft wide, I have done some reading
re. covers and I have decided it is too big a job for me to do single
handed. I will wait until some of the family can come and give me a hand or
two.

Thank you all for your interest

kate

Old 24-05-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I cover 18ft x 60 ft and 30ft x 50ft tunnels on my own, but I have
been doing it for over 30 years.

David @ the sunny half of Swansea Bay.

Would you be happy to quote for doing one similar size to your examples in
Cheshire East location ?
My cover is well over ten years old - and consuming quantities of repair
tape !

Many thanks
Pete

Old 24-05-2012, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I cover 18ft x 60 ft and 30ft x 50ft tunnels on my own, but I have
been doing it for over 30 years.

David @ the sunny half of Swansea Bay.

Would you be happy to quote for doing one similar size to your examples in
Cheshire East location ?
My cover is well over ten years old - and consuming quantities of repair
tape !

Many thanks
Pete

I think we both know the answer! :~)
On a serious note, if you buy whole covers (normally enough to do a 64'
tunnel) and cut off what you need its normally cheaper than buying by the
metre.

My covers are trenched in so although digging out the trenches is quite hard
work I do it over a couple of days leaving small dollops at the poles. the
actual replacing of the cover only takes an hour if you have everything
ready. and like David I manage on my own. if you have grip rails its even
easier

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 26-05-2012, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .

I can't understand why we can't find one here.

--

Martin

I have now written to

http://www.premierpolytunnels.co.uk/...ment-cover.asp

to ask if they can suggest any re-coverers in my area.

Thanks David

Pete Stockdale

which cloche/poly tunnel? Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 3 11-11-2012 09:08 PM
Poly Tunnel No Name United Kingdom 0 25-05-2011 11:14 PM
poly tunnel Kate Morgan United Kingdom 20 22-04-2011 12:36 PM
[IBC] Poly Tunnel Covering audgen Bonsai 1 13-04-2003 06:32 PM