Old 30-05-2012, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mares Tail

In article ,
'Mike' wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message

If you pull it then hang a bunch under the hot tap as you run a bath, it's
supposed to good for aches and pains.

What will it do for the coal in the bath?

Well, a lot of that is just mare's tail, anyway!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-05-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Mares tail roots go deep and you're unlikely to get the whole plant
out by digging. The slightest bit of plant will regrow. My "trick" has
been to buy a syringe or two from the local chemist and fill with
glyphosate solution. Simply cut off the mares tail shoot a couple of
inches above ground and inject the solution into the cut end. Repeat
every 4-5 days for 2-3 weeks or until the shoot browns and dies. It
helps to stick a plant label in the ground next to the shoot so you
can find it.

Whilst I still have the stuff appearing here and there (in a new-build
property it usually starts to appear after about 10 years), it has
never yet returned in an area I've treated in this way. Neighbours
who've tried the same approach also report success.

I battled with this stuff for 2 years before moving plots. Jakes suggestion
should work. However, I found a gas weed torch very effective if repeated
regularly. The 'Tail' won't affect your beans at all.
Pete C

Old 30-05-2012, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe?
Yes, or a vet.

Arrrgh, you're making my pedantry-gland twitch!

ODing on Round Up symptoms?

Not unless that causes ambiguous grammar.
Janet was making me want to ask why vets weren't considered people,
or why I would be buying a vet from a chemist. :-/
Old 31-05-2012, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe?
Yes, or a vest.

A vet or a vest?

Yes, that looks better. :-D
*waits for Janet to get grump at her*

Old 31-05-2012, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I have
had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail and
have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the middle of my
newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the lawn
weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to get shut
of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

Cut each stem carefully just below the ground, wrap the bundles in rustic
twine, and sell them on the market as minature Polish asparagus.
This should motivate you to cut regularly and frequently.
:-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 31-05-2012, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 14:07:09 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 30/05/2012 13:29, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:03:11 GMT, wrote:

wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, wrote:

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on
top) I have had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2
lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares
Tail and I have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in
the middle of my newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them
out and resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but
the lawn weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very
difficult to get shut of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic
action regarding Mares Tail.

It's Round Up time! :-)

Our local authority sprays pavements with Round Up to get rid of
Mares Tails.

Ok. Martin will do.
I thought that they were impenetrable because of their waxy leaves.
But still, that is what i'm going to do. I will try and "spot" them
with G.

You have to trample on them preferably with hobnail boots before
spraying

Just ask yourself what Right On Monty would do

Pluck them out of the ground using only his lips?

His lips are never still enough he talks so much rubbish.

Baz
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I
have had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail
and I have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the
middle of my newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and
resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the
lawn weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to
get shut of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

It's Round Up time! :-)

Our local authority sprays pavements with Round Up to get rid of Mares
Tails.

Ok. Martin will do.
I thought that they were impenetrable because of their waxy leaves. But
still, that is what i'm going to do. I will try and "spot" them with G.

Thanks
Baz

Roundup is very effective on Mares tails. Dead the next day! To get
the maximum ON the mares tails and minimum on the surroundings, spray
from the tip along the stalk.

Michael Bell

Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I
have had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail
and I have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the
middle of my newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and
resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the
lawn weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to
get shut of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

Thanks.
Baz

Mares tail roots go deep and you're unlikely to get the whole plant
out by digging. The slightest bit of plant will regrow. My "trick" has
been to buy a syringe or two from the local chemist and fill with
glyphosate solution. Simply cut off the mares tail shoot a couple of
inches above ground and inject the solution into the cut end. Repeat
every 4-5 days for 2-3 weeks or until the shoot browns and dies. It
helps to stick a plant label in the ground next to the shoot so you
can find it.

Whilst I still have the stuff appearing here and there (in a new-build
property it usually starts to appear after about 10 years), it has
never yet returned in an area I've treated in this way. Neighbours
who've tried the same approach also report success.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe? I will do it but
it seems to me that it is wrong. I could be a drug user for all they
know.

Baz

I doubt if you'd get a syringe in a chemist's shop. But syringes are
widely used in engineering for oiling.

Michael Bell

Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/06/2012 17:40, Michael Bell wrote:
In 6
wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

It isn't waxy but a thin silica exoskeleton and yes it does prevent many
weedkillers from working unless you bruise the stems first.

Roundup is very effective on Mares tails. Dead the next day! To get

That wasn't a glyphosate based formulation then. I wonder how long it
will be before some farmer sprays "Roundup ready" crops with a consumer
grade "Roundup" mixture that contains stuff other than glyphosate?

the maximum ON the mares tails and minimum on the surroundings, spray
from the tip along the stalk.

Whilst it is possible that there is a product sold to amateur gardeners
with the product name Roundup somewhere on the packaging there is
absolutely *NO* way that real glyphosate based weedkillers will act
visibly in less than a week and normally a full kill takes at least two
weeks. First signs of damage are that the growing point goes yellow.

The "Roundup" product you refer to must include some other quick acting
compound which will counter the effects of any glyphosate that might be
present by frying the top growth far too quickly and before there is any
chance for the weedkiller to translocate into the roots.

Paradoxically for best effect on pernicious deep rooted weeds you
actually want the spray slightly over diuted so that it acts more slowly
and damages the roots more extensively. Patience is rewarded!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM