Old 30-05-2012, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mares Tail

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I have
had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail and I
have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the middle of my
newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the lawn
weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to get shut
of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

Thanks.
Baz
Old 30-05-2012, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I
have had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail
and I have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the
middle of my newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and
resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the
lawn weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to
get shut of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

It's Round Up time! :-)

Our local authority sprays pavements with Round Up to get rid of Mares
Tails.

Ok. Martin will do.
I thought that they were impenetrable because of their waxy leaves. But
still, that is what i'm going to do. I will try and "spot" them with G.

Thanks
Baz
Old 30-05-2012, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2012 12:24, Baz wrote:
Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I have
had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail and I
have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the middle of my
newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and resow the beans?

No. Just pull out any new mares tail shoots as soon as you spot them.
Don't let it see the light. Any that are clear of other wanted plants
hit with gel formulation glyphosate(*) after bruising gently to get past
the non-stick silica exoskeleton of the plant. Ordinary glyphosate and
wall paper paste is off label use but much cheaper.

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the lawn
weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to get shut
of.

I leave wildflowers in my lawn like speedwell and even the odd daisy and
bellum. I think sterile prefect green grass looks boring. YMMV

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

They won't inconvenience the beans so I would just pull up any that you
see and weedkill those that are easy to get at. Don't allow it to have
green shoots in the sunshine and force it to regrow from underground to
deplete the stored energy in the roots/rhizomes.

After the season is over go digging to get rid and expect to reach the
antipodes before you find the deepest roots!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-05-2012, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2012 13:29, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:03:11 GMT, wrote:

wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, wrote:

[...]

You have to trample on them preferably with hobnail boots before
spraying

Just ask yourself what Right On Monty would do
Old 30-05-2012, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote in
:

[...]

Yes, thankyou.

I asked myself and Monty says I should go procreate with myself. I must
admit, that was a bit harsh.

Baz

Old 30-05-2012, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Now the garden has dried out, and I mean dried(huge cracks on top) I have
had a lawn maintenence firm in to feed and weed the 2 lawns.

He pointed out that in my veg patch there is one area with Mares Tail and I
have not seen that before in my garden. It is right in the middle of my
newly planted runner beans. What to do? Dig them out and resow the beans?

On the lawns there is Speedwell, again have never seen before but the lawn
weedkiller should eliminate it? I am told it is very difficult to get shut
of.

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

Thanks.
Baz

Mares tail roots go deep and you're unlikely to get the whole plant
out by digging. The slightest bit of plant will regrow. My "trick" has
been to buy a syringe or two from the local chemist and fill with
glyphosate solution. Simply cut off the mares tail shoot a couple of
inches above ground and inject the solution into the cut end. Repeat
every 4-5 days for 2-3 weeks or until the shoot browns and dies. It
helps to stick a plant label in the ground next to the shoot so you
can find it.

Whilst I still have the stuff appearing here and there (in a new-build
property it usually starts to appear after about 10 years), it has
never yet returned in an area I've treated in this way. Neighbours
who've tried the same approach also report success.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe? I will do it but
it seems to me that it is wrong. I could be a drug user for all they
know.

Baz
Old 30-05-2012, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

I just pull it up. If it grows again I pull it up again. It gives up
before me!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 30-05-2012, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe?

Yes, or a vet.

Janet
Old 30-05-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/30/2012 04:15 PM, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe?

Yes, or a vet.

I bought one from the farmers coop just this morning. To inject
insecticide into a tunnel made by a beetles pupa... hoping it is not
the dreaded Asian Longhorned, but I think the holes are too small.

Old 30-05-2012, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Can a person just go into a chemist and buy a syringe?

Yes, or a vet.

Arrrgh, you're making my pedantry-gland twitch!
Old 30-05-2012, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:46:49 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Maybe that's a benefit of living in a small place - everyone knows
everyone. The two local pharmacies know I'm not a drug user. Isn't
there a chemist that you use regularly and who knows you?

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 30-05-2012, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2012 15:00, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, wrote:

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

I just pull it up. If it grows again I pull it up again. It gives up
before me!

Steve

If you pull it then hang a bunch under the hot tap as you run a bath,
it's supposed to good for aches and pains.
Old 30-05-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 30/05/2012 15:00, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2012 11:24:48 GMT, wrote:

Anyway, I thought that I would ask here before taking drastic action
regarding Mares Tail.

I just pull it up. If it grows again I pull it up again. It gives up
before me!

Steve

If you pull it then hang a bunch under the hot tap as you run a bath, it's
supposed to good for aches and pains.

What will it do for the coal in the bath?

Mike

mares tail Karin United Kingdom 76 15-02-2004 01:23 PM
mares tail [OT] Tom Bennett United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 04:48 AM
mares tail , horse tail David Hill United Kingdom 0 01-02-2004 11:20 PM
Mares tail Ed Gardening 10 25-08-2003 03:32 PM
mares tail hendo2002 United Kingdom 4 26-06-2003 09:44 AM