Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with Foxes?

On Jun 2, 11:18*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 02:44:54 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
My neighbour has a large garden and a lot of it is down to vegetables
and fruit. *He has an electric fence, so simple, a wire running around
the perimeter and attached to a battery.

Isn't there something attached to battery that generates high voltage
pulses or charges up a capacitor that discharges when the wire is
touched by something?

Another neighbour has tapes
around the perimetre at about half a metres height and this is
connected to the mains with some sort of power reducer thing. *The
tapes are sold in Garden Centres here.

I've seen similar tapes in UK, I hadn't realised they had electricity
flowing through them. I did wonder how something so flimsy could keep
horses in a field,
--

There is an energiser which generates a high voltage pulse about every
second or so and gives a fairly powerful shock, this can be powered by

You can find out more here...

http://shop.electricfencing.co.uk/in...=view&id=42:53

Doug.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Doug wrote:

snipped,
There is an energiser which generates a high voltage pulse about every
second or so and gives a fairly powerful shock, this can be powered by
a 12 volt battery or a mains transformer. My fence has wires but I
understand you can use something like netting. The wires are rigged on
plastic posts which come as part of a kit.

You can find out more here...

http://shop.electricfencing.co.uk/in...=view&id=42:53

Doug.

If you need to buy an electric fencer then buy it from an Agricultural
Dealer. Garden Supply firms are notoriously expensive. For instance I
see that Mole Valley Farmers in the South West are selling a small mains
operated fencer for £79. They will deal with on-line orders, so
distance won't be a problem.

If you can operate it from indoors then buy a mains operated fencer.
Batteries are expensive and will only last about 2 months, and you'll
need to keep the fencer operating 24/7 I should think.

Peter (an ex Farm Machinery Salesman)

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2012 08:28, Peter James wrote:
wrote:

snipped,
[...]

If you are using an electric fence, electric rabbit or poultry netting
with a battery powered unit then you use a rechargeable battery, I use a
leisure battery and it will run for around 4 weeks on a full charge and
will recharge in a few hours, the battery should last several years.
I have mu unit, and 300 meters of fence as well as the battery, and last
year it cost nearly £400 all in.
If you want a set up then browse, compare prices then phone and try to
get a deal fir the lot, though I got my battery from a local supplier,
it was on offer and saved me almost £40
You may find that the supplier has refurbished units.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay. at present between showers.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/2012 10:48, David Hill wrote:
On 03/06/2012 08:28, Peter James wrote:
wrote:

snipped,
[...]

You could try these people
http://www.electricfence-online.co.u...ting-kits.html

Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 22:42:16 -0700 (PDT), Doug wrote:

You can find out more here...

One certainly needs to do a bit of research as to what is best to
deter the target species. Pulse rate, strength of pulse etc vary with
the target species and type/length of fence being energised. Some
energisers are designed to power several kilometers of fence and keep
rhinos out, others just a few hundred meters and smaller, less thick
skinned, animals. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 11:51*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 22:42:16 -0700 (PDT), Doug wrote:
You can find out more here...

One certainly needs to do a bit of research as to what is best to
deter the target species. Pulse rate, strength of pulse etc vary with
the target species and type/length of fence being energised. Some
energisers are designed to power several kilometers of fence and keep
rhinos out, others just a few hundred meters and smaller, less thick
skinned, animals. *B-)

I just put up a standard garden pond fence kit and it certainly deters
foxes, dogs and cats.

Doug.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Peter James
writes
Just a hand sprayer from B&Q for .99p
and you're good to go.

I thought the male of the species came with built in sprayer

--
regards andyw