Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered User

Default Help with Foxes?

Foxes: I have had foxes camping in neighbouring gardens (by people not looking out for theirs) for years. Causing the occasional problem, but so far manageable.

However, every year they get worse in terms of behaviour. Digging holes, digging out plants, etc. It also appears that every year there is a different urban fox (probably litter from the previous year). Last year's fox was extraordinarily brash: it decided it owned my garden and would sun itself in my garden and would only run away when you threw stuff at it. Apart from that it made little problems. No digging, etc.

This year we have a baby fox (no mother), which has made incredible trouble already. I can't leave windows and doors open. It tries to get into the house - even during the day - when I am there. Two days ago my mother was visiting from Germany: she left the bedroom window open at night and nearly got a heart attack when she was woken by the fox in the middle of the night. It took us a while to chase it out of the house.

It is digging holes everywhere and digging out plants. This morning I discovered pieces of mummified baby fox (a head and a some more bone) laid out in a location where the fox dug a trench between my and the neighbouring property the night before. I blocked it off by submerging a stone and chickenwire yesterday morning.

I am just intruigued by the behaviour and am wondering whether anybody else has seen similar. And whether you have any tips? It's almost as if the fox is trying to mock me (-: But the incident with the mummified head is odd - maybe his dead sibling, which he kept? And I am worried that as the fox gets bigger, I will have real problems. Any advice? All the usual remedies such as anti fox water cannons, sprays, etc. I have tried in the past and dont work.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Foxes?-181857_3331125073239_1121877018_52929030_1677745743_n.jpg   Help with Foxes?-581044_3331125673254_1255820198_n.jpg   Help with Foxes?-555435_3295624065736_954373584_n.jpg
Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/06/2012 09:09, LarsKurth wrote:
[...]

|Filename: 181857_3331125073239_1121877018_52929030_167774574 3_n.jpg|
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15029|
|Filename: 581044_3331125673254_1255820198_n.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15030|
|Filename: 555435_3295624065736_954373584_n.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15031|

Looks like skull dugery.
Nice garden.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"LarsKurth" wrote in message

Foxes: I have had foxes camping in neighbouring gardens (by people not
looking out for theirs) for years. Causing the occasional problem, but
so far manageable.

However, every year they get worse in terms of behaviour. Digging holes,
digging out plants, etc. It also appears that every year there is a
different urban fox (probably litter from the previous year). Last
year's fox was extraordinarily brash: it decided it owned my garden and
would sun itself in my garden and would only run away when you threw
stuff at it. Apart from that it made little problems. No digging, etc.

This year we have a baby fox (no mother), which has made incredible
trouble already. I can't leave windows and doors open. It tries to get
into the house - even during the day - when I am there. Two days ago my
mother was visiting from Germany: she left the bedroom window open at
night and nearly got a heart attack when she was woken by the fox in the
middle of the night. It took us a while to chase it out of the house.

It is digging holes everywhere and digging out plants. This morning I
discovered pieces of mummified baby fox (a head and a some more bone)
laid out in a location where the fox dug a trench between my and the
neighbouring property the night before. I blocked it off by submerging a
stone and chickenwire yesterday morning.

I am just intruigued by the behaviour and am wondering whether anybody
else has seen similar. And whether you have any tips? It's almost as if
the fox is trying to mock me (-: But the incident with the mummified
head is odd - maybe his dead sibling, which he kept? And I am worried
that as the fox gets bigger, I will have real problems. Any advice? All
the usual remedies such as anti fox water cannons, sprays, etc. I have
tried in the past and dont work.

|Filename: 181857_3331125073239_1121877018_52929030_167774574 3_n.jpg|
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15029|
|Filename: 581044_3331125673254_1255820198_n.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15030|
|Filename: 555435_3295624065736_954373584_n.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15031|

LarsKurth

A large part of a foxes normal diet is earth worms/grubs and lava hence the
digging. I think you may either have to get to like the foxes or arrange to
have them shot, or you could like me have a dog which is large enough to
take them on, even then our fox has a pretty good idea when the dog knocks
off for the night! I don't think you will discourage them easily when the
area is so good for them.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:09:08 +0000, LarsKurth wrote:

This year we have a baby fox (no mother), which has made incredible
trouble already. I can't leave windows and doors open. It tries to get
into the house - even during the day - when I am there. Two days ago my
mother was visiting from Germany: she left the bedroom window open at
night and nearly got a heart attack when she was woken by the fox in the
middle of the night. It took us a while to chase it out of the house.

For a first step I'd get onto the pest control department of the
local council. A fox that is persistant at getting into the house is
a health hazard and pest and needs to be dealt with.

Not convinced that pest control will actually do anything in relation
to a fox though but it's a starting point. You probably wouldn't get
much joy from them if it was only damaging your garden.

A fox that was being persistent at getting into the house even when
discouraged I'd like to see shot as a quick and humane way of getting
rid of it. Not sure the council would have a suitably trained
marksman or even if discharging a firearm in an urban setting would
be a "good idea" or allowed. Which means the council will probably
want to poison it, I don't like poisons...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Foxes: I have had foxes camping in neighbouring gardens (by people not
looking out for theirs) for years. Causing the occasional problem, but
so far manageable.

However, every year they get worse in terms of behaviour.

Allow the local fox hunt to charge through your garden!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it still
available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does the job
it is meant for).

Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:55:03 +0100, "Tahi"
wrote:

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it still
available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does the job
it is meant for).

Been banned for a while now. Didn't work anyway!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it
still
available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does the
job
it is meant for).

Been banned for a while now. Didn't work anyway!

It did if you threw it hard enough and hit the fox between the legs.
http://www.reynardine.com/
--

Martin

Hit between the legs? ;-)

Two Thai girls asked me if I'd like to go bed with them, they said it
would be just like winning the lottery. I agreed, and they were right.
We all stripped off and to my horror, we had six matching balls!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tahi" wrote ...

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it
still available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does
the job it is meant for).

I remember being told years ago that they don't like the smell of human pee
marking an area. Some beer and a little later a bucket would do the trick.
:-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Tahi" wrote ...

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it
still available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does
the job it is meant for).

I remember being told years ago that they don't like the smell of human pee
marking an area. Some beer and a little later a bucket would do the trick.
:-)

I did tell a poster on the Allotment forum to use human urine to keep
cats from fouling his allotment. It worked for me in my front garden,
and still does. From time to time I need to spray human pee on the
front flower bed to keep the neighbourhood cats off. Another fellow
allotment holder told me it works for foxes as well. You could try it,
after all it doesn't cost a lot. Just a hand sprayer from B&Q for .99p
and you're good to go.

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:00:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Tahi" wrote ...

I remember being told some years back that rags soaked in stuff called
'Reynardine,' and hung round the edge of the garden, works well. Is it
still available? (or have the EU banned it, like everything else that does
the job it is meant for).

I remember being told years ago that they don't like the smell of human pee
marking an area. Some beer and a little later a bucket would do the trick.
:-)

They do seem to react to a stronger 'marking'. I wouldn't care to say
what diet a human should follow in order to produce a 'knock-out'
scent but I would suspect it would also deter the rest of the family.

I invested in a couple of packets of extra hot chilli powder which
SWMBO distributed around areas attracting unwanted fox attention. Made
no difference whatsoever, although I there's hope that the foxes rear
end might have suffered later...

The only real solution is Lead based and at high velocity. It's
legally available but expensive.

JonH
Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 1, 9:09*am, LarsKurth
wrote:
[...]

I have had much less trouble with foxes and visits from them since I
put up an electric fence, with nightime CCTV. After getting a shock
they stay well away from it and sometimes don't come back. Its a
simple matter to move the fence around to protect different parts of
the garden.

Doug.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 12:18:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

My neighbour has a large garden and a lot of it is down to

vegetables
and fruit. He has an electric fence, so simple, a wire running

around
the perimeter and attached to a battery.

Isn't there something attached to battery that generates high voltage
pulses or charges up a capacitor that discharges when the wire is
touched by something?

There ought to be, known as an "energiser", as you say they generate
a pulse of electricty every second or so. I've not seen them in
ordnianry garden centres or sheds in the UK but easy to get from an
agricultral supplies place.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"LarsKurth" wrote in message

[...]

I'm afraid there is only one solution to a fox repeatedly coming into your
house. A piece of lead in the ear. Sad, but you have to do it or find a
vermin man who will.
They often do not advertise that they will in the yellow pages, for fear of
the Bill Oddie brigade, but check them out, some will.
I totally blame the wildlife programmes for making people think that feeding
foxes is a good idea. Of course it is not, it has made them too brave.
Once upon a time foxes only came out at night because quite rightly they
were afraid of humans. Now they are so confident that I lost 20+ chickens
during the day once, the vixen was still killing them when I checked them at
5 pm in full daylight in the summer.
I am unable to let my chickens out now to free range.
They are in huts & runs like Fort Knox now, simply because foxes are not
afraid of us now.
Tina