Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lithodora

Yesterday we were in Luss on the edge of Loch Lomond. In front of one
cottage was a bed of beautiful wee blue flowers which I think I have
identified as the above. It was low growing and spread evenly over the bed
so I assume is good ground cover. I have a border in which mint and
dandelions proliferate. Would these flowers help keep them down, or would I
still be continually weeding around them?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
Yesterday we were in Luss on the edge of Loch Lomond. In front of one
cottage was a bed of beautiful wee blue flowers which I think I have
identified as the above. It was low growing and spread evenly over the bed
so I assume is good ground cover. I have a border in which mint and
dandelions proliferate. Would these flowers help keep them down, or would I
still be continually weeding around them?

Mint will grow straight through it. If you remove all of the
established dandelions, it will help to prevent them reestablishing,
but you will still have to weed some of them out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
Yesterday we were in Luss on the edge of Loch Lomond. In front of one
cottage was a bed of beautiful wee blue flowers which I think I have
identified as the above. It was low growing and spread evenly over the
bed
so I assume is good ground cover. I have a border in which mint and
dandelions proliferate. Would these flowers help keep them down, or would
still be continually weeding around them?

Mint will grow straight through it. If you remove all of the
established dandelions, it will help to prevent them reestablishing,
but you will still have to weed some of them out.

That is great thanks

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-01 18:06:11 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Yesterday we were in Luss on the edge of Loch Lomond. In front of one
cottage was a bed of beautiful wee blue flowers which I think I have
identified as the above. It was low growing and spread evenly over the
bed so I assume is good ground cover. I have a border in which mint and
dandelions proliferate. Would these flowers help keep them down, or
would I still be continually weeding around them?

When you learn how to get rid of mint, write a book and make a fortune!
Lithodora is gorgeous but I wouldn't think of it as a weed suppressant.

No really didn't expect to get rid of the mint, I was just hoping to
suppress it enough not to spoil the display of the Lithodora too much! I
wouldn't mind the mint actually but not he dandelions.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

The mint here has gone berserk between flagstones outside the tea room. It
is impossible to describe the width and depth of its spread! Ray has

) I have never minded the mint) I use a lot in cooking ... and the
rest? Lovely)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

The mint here has gone berserk between flagstones outside the tea room.
It is impossible to describe the width and depth of its spread! Ray has
pulled masses out tonight - heavenly scent but still loads of mint!

) I have never minded the mint) I use a lot in cooking ... and the
rest? Lovely)

--

I think we'll have to start serving a lot of mint tea. There's a field
full of sheep round here looking very nervous. ;-)

lol

btw back to ground cover ... can you recommend any that would suppress (even
fairly well) the conditions I described? As I said, I don't mind the mint
growing through, but I hate the dandelions! Of course I would dig out the
roots - yet again!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

btw back to ground cover ... can you recommend any that would suppress (even
fairly well) the conditions I described? As I said, I don't mind the mint
growing through, but I hate the dandelions! Of course I would dig out the
roots - yet again!

Vinca major. You may well wish for the dandelions back :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

btw back to ground cover ... can you recommend any that would suppress
(even
fairly well) the conditions I described? As I said, I don't mind the mint
growing through, but I hate the dandelions! Of course I would dig out the
roots - yet again!

Vinca major. You may well wish for the dandelions back :-)

Hmm I doubt it, thanks) That looks very pretty - much prettier than
dandelions!
Given what you say, is it likely to take over the whole garden or just that
bed? I see there is a Vinca minor too. Is that any less aggressive? I see
it doesn't grow so tall which might be an advantage.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-02 13:27:56 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

The mint here has gone berserk between flagstones outside the tea
room. It is impossible to describe the width and depth of its spread!
Ray has pulled masses out tonight - heavenly scent but still loads of
mint!

) I have never minded the mint) I use a lot in cooking ... and the
rest? Lovely)

--

I think we'll have to start serving a lot of mint tea. There's a field
full of sheep round here looking very nervous. ;-)

lol

btw back to ground cover ... can you recommend any that would suppress
(even fairly well) the conditions I described? As I said, I don't mind
the mint growing through, but I hate the dandelions! Of course I would
dig out the roots - yet again!
--

I think the problem is that whatever you plant, mint and dandelions will
both find their way through and you really need to clear the ground first.

Oh heavens yes! Of course I intend to clear the ground. I thought I had said
so. It is harder to keep down now that we are away so much. I am not able
to clear it on a regular basis, so when I am home, it is a major job.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:23:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

It is harder to keep down now that we are away so much. I am not able
to clear it on a regular basis, so when I am home, it is a major job.

--

Why not, after this major clearing bit, lay some weed-suppressing
membrane. Plant through that and then mulch over the top with

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

It is harder to keep down now that we are away so much. I am not able
to clear it on a regular basis, so when I am home, it is a major job.

--

Why not, after this major clearing bit, lay some weed-suppressing
membrane. Plant through that and then mulch over the top with
something. Then the weeds won't regrow (or at least won't be deeply
rooted if they do).

That sounds like an excellent plan! I could plant my Lithodora on top too
It is so pretty

Many thanks, Jake))

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

btw back to ground cover ... can you recommend any that would suppress
(even
fairly well) the conditions I described? As I said, I don't mind the mint
growing through, but I hate the dandelions! Of course I would dig out the
roots - yet again!

Vinca major. You may well wish for the dandelions back :-)

Hmm I doubt it, thanks) That looks very pretty - much prettier than
dandelions!
Given what you say, is it likely to take over the whole garden or just that
bed? I see there is a Vinca minor too. Is that any less aggressive? I see
it doesn't grow so tall which might be an advantage.

It will take over anywhere it can get its runners to, with a fair
hope of rooting. And they can run a couple of yards before rooting.
Vinca minor is less agressive, but still invasive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Nick Something there to think on. A couple of yards eh? wow)
It is only the borders I have the problem with because a few years ago
(because of our work situation) we did away with the lawn area and laid
decorative gravel and use tubs for decoration. I suppose we could do that
with the borders but I do like some soil and flowers and so am loathe to
cover that with gravel and Jake's suggestion seems to be a good one. We
have raised beds at the end with fruit trees but the paths separate that
area from the borders. How would that area cope if Vinca did spread there?
Could it kill the trees? If yes, or even if not, can you suggest something
else to sow into the border that will not take much care and be safer?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

How would that area cope if Vinca did spread there?
Could it kill the trees? If yes, or even if not, can you suggest something
else to sow into the border that will not take much care and be safer?

No. It is shallow-rooted and not particularly difficult to remove
except when it gets into the middle of shrubs and herbaceous plants.
If you let it establish under the trees, it might take all the
water from the surface if there isn't a lot of rain. But it's not
a problem to any established tree or woody plant. Mine is ground
cover under climbers, and I merely have to remove it when it
crosses a 2' path and gets into the adjacent bed. Not a big deal,
but action is needed several times a year, including cutting back
its runners (which is easy) when they get going.

However, it can be that invasive! V. minor is less vigorous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:

How would that area cope if Vinca did spread there?
Could it kill the trees? If yes, or even if not, can you suggest
something
else to sow into the border that will not take much care and be safer?

No. It is shallow-rooted and not particularly difficult to remove
except when it gets into the middle of shrubs and herbaceous plants.
If you let it establish under the trees, it might take all the
water from the surface if there isn't a lot of rain. But it's not
a problem to any established tree or woody plant. Mine is ground
cover under climbers, and I merely have to remove it when it
crosses a 2' path and gets into the adjacent bed. Not a big deal,
but action is needed several times a year, including cutting back
its runners (which is easy) when they get going.

However, it can be that invasive! V. minor is less vigorous.

Thanks for that! Most reassuring V. Major it shall be!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Lithodora Giffusa problem? Frank Booth United Kingdom 5 22-09-2015 10:10 PM
Lithodora Ophelia[_4_] United Kingdom 0 02-06-2012 06:00 PM
Lithodora Diffusa Frank United Kingdom 1 23-05-2012 05:05 PM
Lithodora V_coerulea Garden Photos 0 05-04-2007 12:27 AM