Old 22-06-2012, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foxes scratching holes in our bowing green

In article , says...

On 2012-06-22 11:08:15 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

We were not absolutely sure that it was foxes as opposed to carrion
crows or other birds which were causing the damage so to remove any
doubt whatsoever I visited the green at about 9.30 p.m. last night and
made sure that all holes were filled and that everything was in order.
Then I sat in the darkness of our pavillion and between 10 pm and 11.15
pm four foxes, in one instance all at the same time, visited the
green and, although the lighting was not sufficient for me to see
exactly what they were doing at the time, I found shortly afterwards
that they had removed the fillings from two holes without there being a
bird or other animal in sight. Now that we definitely know the cause
of our problem I will at first try the pop bottles and if that fails
total disturbance of their habitat must be an option and maybe the odd
visit by a Jack Russell. Should that not work I may seek the help of
our local council.

Lots of luck with getting a council involved. Foxes are not considered
life-threatening here (and they aren't, normally) so no help will come
from there.
You will have to do it yourself.

Yes, you are right. Spoke to the council today and they have a neutral
policy regarding foxes. I have totally disturbed the foxes sleeping
area on nearby waste land and will visit it regularly in an endeavour
to encourage them to move on and hopefully that will work. The pop
bottles are in place so I am hoping that they will have the desired
effect.

Continually disturbing their sleeping area might work. Forget the pop
bottles. I've seen the pop bottle idea mooted many times against cats,
foxes. Why would it be effective? Why would a fox be scared of a pop
bottle? they aren't.

Apparently they see their reflection in the bottle full of water and
that scares them off. I am about to go and to see if the bottles
worked last night and will let you know.

Some say that (human) male urine is a deterrent. How you go about that
is up to you! This 'neutral policy' thing is silly.

Rubbish. Tina's local council says

"Foxes are not classed as pests in the urban environment and as such
Leicester City Council does not take any action to treat for foxes.
Foxes inhabit the external environment and will not infest our homes like
rats and mice do. This means that humans are unlikely to come into close
enough contact with a fox to catch any diseases from them. This means that
foxes do not pose any health risk to humans in their natural habitat"

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-cou...environmental-
health-licensing/pest-control/foxes/

Janet.

Old 22-06-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
snip

if it was about reflection in the water bottles then mirrors would be
better, so it cant be that.

you see a lot of plastic bottles with water in, around plants in tokyo
and it has been done for many years, so it must work.

i've seen twenty or thirty bottles lined up before now. any sensible
suggestions as to why it works? one suggestion is they know its clean
water and dont like to disturb what might be a drinking source. (all
instinctive of course)

what about the movement activated very high pitch noise thingy, you used
to be able to buy?

Three bowling green persons who I have spoken to swear by the water
bottles method and so I was persuaded, but I must say that I have my real
doubts. I am studying high frequency, ultrasound and sonic repellants on
Google and one of their inadequacies in my case would appear to be the
distance they cover. Our green is about 35 yards square and corner to
corner is probably 50 yards or so.

Is it too close to housing for automatic lighting to be used?

It is surrounded by houses and a public house, but the houses are quite a
distance away (long gardens and the green's spare land) and the residents
could be consulted, but do you think that that lighting would frighten them
away? In any case the green is roughly 1,225 square yards. The quite
strong lighting from the pub's. big patio shows up the whole of the green
quite well until about midnight and the foxes run around on it quite freely
from about 9.45 p.m. and during that time there is much noise from the
patrons as they use the smoking area. None of this deters the foxes.

Old 22-06-2012, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It was a very wet night and and not much damage, if any, is caused on such
nights, but something had slightly disturbed the surface of two holes and
a fox had defecated on the green. Will give it a longer trial period.

LOL. was that the fox opinion of the pop bottles?

Old 22-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely not.

In any case the green is roughly 1,225 square yards. The quite
strong lighting from the pub's. big patio shows up the whole of the green
quite well until about midnight and the foxes run around on it quite
freely from about 9.45 p.m. and during that time there is much noise from
the patrons as they use the smoking area. None of this deters the foxes.

So what do you think you have to do?

Old 22-06-2012, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Is it too close to housing for automatic lighting to be used?

It is surrounded by houses and a public house, but the houses are
quite a distance away (long gardens and the green's spare land) and
the residents could be consulted, but do you think that that lighting
would frighten them away? In any case the green is roughly 1,225
square yards. The quite strong lighting from the pub's. big patio
shows up the whole of the green quite well until about midnight and
the foxes run around on it quite freely from about 9.45 p.m. and
during that time there is much noise from the patrons as they use the
smoking area. None of this deters the foxes.

In this case, lighting probably wouldn't frighten them away, no. They
sound too bold! I was thinking that if it's normally dark there and
lights come on suddenly, it might startle them. From stories like yours
- and there are several - I think we begin to see why hunting started,
whatever one may feel about that in modern times.

Have a look at these fox deterrents
http://www.electricfence-online.co.u...eterrents.html

David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

Old 22-06-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. I have done, but our green is about 1225 square yards (11025 sq ft)
and we would need quite a few such devices to cover the ground. Fox Watch
(£43.25) appears to be the best and that covers 1350 sq ft so we would need
eight of those (£346.00) and then we would only be experimenting.

Old 23-06-2012, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
[...]

We have a free offer of a cage and we are thinking about that. How far
would a fox have to travel before it loses its sense of whereabouts? I know
there a rules about caging and dispatching and that foxes taken to another
area find difficulty in adapting because of territory issues.

Old 23-06-2012, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
[...]

If you choose to get a catch alive cage/trap (which I did) you cannot
release them elsewhere because of territory difficulties.
If you get a trap like this you have to know that they have to be shot
inside the trap and not released into an area miles away where the resident
foxes will take a dim view and probably kill them. It's cruel to release
them in a new area, believing you are kind.

Old 23-06-2012, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2012 23:59, Emrys Davies wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

[...]

You cpuld try one to cover the area they are diging and see if it stops
them, or find out where they enter and cover that part with a device.
David

Old 23-06-2012, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message

[...]

They enter from three sides of the green (3x35 yds) and they have caused
damage over most of the green.

Old 23-06-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I have been made aware of all that by a pest control person with
whom I discussed our problem. It appears that there are only two realistic
electric fence we will have to give thought to patrons of the licensed
house, some of whom trespass on our green at night and mess about. We have
to tolerate that as entry is quite easy, but they are not much of a problem.
Also, the brewery will have to be told as it is their property. Cost will
probably be the deciding factor.

Old 23-06-2012, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Get a pack of Rotweilers or similar?
--

Martin

That would do it but
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Old 23-06-2012, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

Borrow the local hunt's foxhound pack?

Hunting foxes with dogs is illegal.

Janet

Old 23-06-2012, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

Borrow the local hunt's foxhound pack?

Hunting foxes with dogs is illegal.

Janet

Not only that, but do not have a top hat etc. and a horse.

Old 23-06-2012, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2012 19:43, Emrys Davies wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

Borrow the local hunt's foxhound pack?

Hunting foxes with dogs is illegal.

Janet

Not only that, but do not have a top hat etc. and a horse.

You think the Foxes are bad, wait till you see what a horse would do at
full gallop