Old 20-06-2012, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foxes scratching holes in our bowing green

These foxes probably sleep in rough land which is adjacent to the bowling
green and they are progressively damaging the well kept green by digging a
few holes each night and also removing the earth from any that has been
repaired. I have no confidence in any repellant products on the market due
to an experience I had years ago when they damaged my heather garden, but I
am wondering if anyone has found a way to deter them. Following tips from
other bowling greens I have acquired a large number of 2 litre pop bottles
which I shall fill with water and hopefully that will frighten them off as
they are apparently scared of seeing their reflection in the bottles. Using
crushed moth balls is another suggestion, but I learn that they are now
banned.

Old 20-06-2012, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:55:15 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

These foxes probably sleep in rough land which is adjacent to the bowling
green and they are progressively damaging the well kept green by digging a
few holes each night and also removing the earth from any that has been
repaired. I have no confidence in any repellant products on the market due
to an experience I had years ago when they damaged my heather garden, but I
am wondering if anyone has found a way to deter them. Following tips from
other bowling greens I have acquired a large number of 2 litre pop bottles
which I shall fill with water and hopefully that will frighten them off as
they are apparently scared of seeing their reflection in the bottles. Using
crushed moth balls is another suggestion, but I learn that they are now
banned.

There have been a few discussions here of late and I think the
consensus is that the only effective solution is an electric fence!
Can't speak for pop bottles but it used to be said that they were
effective against cats but I've never seen a cat scared by one ;-)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 20-06-2012, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

My cat sneers at pop bottles.
Electric fences are good against foxes as long as you keep them charged -
the minute the battery fails you are in trouble, as they seem to know it.

I've had a difficult relationship with foxes attacking my chickens for some
years. My preferred method if they do it, is to put a piece of lead in
their ear.
Works quite well.

Old 21-06-2012, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We were not absolutely sure that it was foxes as opposed to carrion crows or
other birds which were causing the damage so to remove any doubt whatsoever
I visited the green at about 9.30 p.m. last night and made sure that all
holes were filled and that everything was in order. Then I sat in the
darkness of our pavillion and between 10 pm and 11.15 pm four foxes, in one
instance all at the same time, visited the green and, although the lighting
was not sufficient for me to see exactly what they were doing at the time, I
found shortly afterwards that they had removed the fillings from two holes
without there being a bird or other animal in sight. Now that we definitely
know the cause of our problem I will at first try the pop bottles and if
that fails total disturbance of their habitat must be an option and maybe
the odd visit by a Jack Russell. Should that not work I may seek the help
of our local council.

Old 21-06-2012, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Yes an electric fence seems to be a good deterrent. Once shocked they
don't go near it again.

Doug.

Old 21-06-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

[...]

Lots of luck with getting a council involved. Foxes are not considered
life-threatening here (and they aren't, normally) so no help will come from
there.
You will have to do it yourself.

Old 21-06-2012, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-21 01:18:09 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

I'm told they don't like alpacas...!

Alpacas and llamas will soon see off a fox, but I doubt they can be kept on
a bowling green.
I wish I had enough room for a couple of alpacas at my house. Foxes after
my chickens are the bane of my life.
After a huge kill during the day, when I filled several sacks with my dead
chickens, which almost broke my heart, I declared war on them.

Old 21-06-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Yes, you are right. Spoke to the council today and they have a neutral
policy regarding foxes. I have totally disturbed the foxes sleeping area on
nearby waste land and will visit it regularly in an endeavour to encourage
them to move on and hopefully that will work. The pop bottles are in place
so I am hoping that they will have the desired effect.

Old 21-06-2012, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-21 22:46:23 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Not necessarily, if it's an amenity provided by the Council or funded by
it in some way.

Just as a matter of interest, Sacha, phone your local council tomorrow and
tell them you having a problem with foxes.
See what they say and report back ;-)

Tina

Old 21-06-2012, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Continually disturbing their sleeping area might work. Forget the pop
bottles. I've seen the pop bottle idea mooted many times against cats,
foxes. Why would it be effective? Why would a fox be scared of a pop
bottle? they aren't.

Old 22-06-2012, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Apparently they see their reflection in the bottle full of water and that
scares them off. I am about to go and to see if the bottles worked last
night and will let you know.

Old 22-06-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

if it was about reflection in the water bottles then mirrors would be
better, so it cant be that.

you see a lot of plastic bottles with water in, around plants in tokyo and
it has been done for many years, so it must work.

i've seen twenty or thirty bottles lined up before now. any sensible
suggestions as to why it works? one suggestion is they know its clean water
and dont like to disturb what might be a drinking source. (all instinctive
of course)

what about the movement activated very high pitch noise thingy, you used to
be able to buy?

Old 22-06-2012, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 11:08:15 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Some say that (human) male urine is a deterrent. How you go about that is
up to you! This 'neutral policy' thing is silly. If foxes did have
fluffy coats but were rats digging up a local amenity, they'd sing a
different tune.

I have no confidence in any liquid whatsoever as years ago I bought Renadine
(no longer available) to deter foxes which were digging up my heather
cuttings. I dunked teabags in it and placed them in jars as recommended
only to see the foxes messing around with the jars in the early hours.

Old 22-06-2012, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

It was a very wet night and and not much damage, if any, is caused on such
nights, but something had slightly disturbed the surface of two holes and a
fox had defecated on the green. Will give it a longer trial period.

Old 22-06-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"D. T. Green" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Three bowling green persons who I have spoken to swear by the water bottles
method and so I was persuaded, but I must say that I have my real doubts. I
am studying high frequency, ultrasound and sonic repellants on Google and
one of their inadequacies in my case would appear to be the distance they
cover. Our green is about 35 yards square and corner to corner is probably
50 yards or so.