Old 24-06-2012, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foxes scratching holes in our bowing green

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 23/06/2012 19:43, Emrys Davies wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

Borrow the local hunt's foxhound pack?

Hunting foxes with dogs is illegal.

Janet

Not only that, but do not have a top hat etc. and a horse.

You think the Foxes are bad, wait till you see what a horse would do at
full gallop

Yes I agree; I let you in for that.

Old 24-06-2012, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 22/06/2012 23:59, Emrys Davies wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message

Is it too close to housing for automatic lighting to be used?

It is surrounded by houses and a public house, but the houses are
quite a distance away (long gardens and the green's spare land) and
the residents could be consulted, but do you think that that lighting
would frighten them away? In any case the green is roughly 1,225
square yards. The quite strong lighting from the pub's. big patio
shows up the whole of the green quite well until about midnight and
the foxes run around on it quite freely from about 9.45 p.m. and
during that time there is much noise from the patrons as they use the
smoking area. None of this deters the foxes.

In this case, lighting probably wouldn't frighten them away, no. They
sound too bold! I was thinking that if it's normally dark there and
lights come on suddenly, it might startle them. From stories like yours
- and there are several - I think we begin to see why hunting started,
whatever one may feel about that in modern times.

Have a look at these fox deterrents
http://www.electricfence-online.co.uk/
shop/pest-deterrents/fox-deterrents.html

Thanks. I have done, but our green is about 1225 square yards (11025 sq
ft) and we would need quite a few such devices to cover the ground. Fox
Watch (£43.25) appears to be the best and that covers 1350 sq ft so we
would need eight of those (£346.00) and then we would only be
experimenting.

You cpuld try one to cover the area they are diging and see if it stops
them, or find out where they enter and cover that part with a device.
David

They enter from three sides of the green (3x35 yds) and they have caused
damage over most of the green.

You could quite easily purchase a small electric fencer and cover the
whole of the perimeter of the green, and it would cost you less than
£100. If you have mains electricity available so much the better as you
can purchase a mains operated fencer for that sort of money.
I'm positive that that would sort out your problem.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
Old 24-06-2012, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1km6pa5.1yw4g5b1x4z5zyN%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...

"David Hill" wrote in message

[...]

We may well have to resort to this, but I am somewhat reluctant at the
moment due to practicalities. How many strands would you need in order for
it to be effective as they are good jumpers? Where would it be obtainable
at that price? Children and adults sometimes visit the green without
permission and mess about. Have you considered that aspect?

Old 24-06-2012, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
snip

if it was about reflection in the water bottles then mirrors would
be better, so it cant be that.

you see a lot of plastic bottles with water in, around plants in
tokyo and it has been done for many years, so it must work.

i've seen twenty or thirty bottles lined up before now. any
sensible suggestions as to why it works? one suggestion is they
know its clean water and dont like to disturb what might be a
drinking source. (all instinctive of course)

what about the movement activated very high pitch noise thingy, you
used to be able to buy?

Three bowling green persons who I have spoken to swear by the water
bottles method and so I was persuaded, but I must say that I have my
real doubts. I am studying high frequency, ultrasound and sonic
repellants on Google and one of their inadequacies in my case would
appear to be the distance they cover. Our green is about 35 yards
square and corner to corner is probably 50 yards or so.

Is it too close to housing for automatic lighting to be used?

It is surrounded by houses and a public house, but the houses are
quite a distance away (long gardens and the green's spare land) and
the residents could be consulted, but do you think that that lighting
would frighten them away?

Absolutely not.

In any case the green is roughly 1,225 square yards. The quite
strong lighting from the pub's. big patio shows up the whole of the
green quite well until about midnight and the foxes run around on it
quite freely from about 9.45 p.m. and during that time there is much
noise from the patrons as they use the smoking area. None of this
deters the foxes.
So what do you think you have to do?

We have a free offer of a cage and we are thinking about that. How far
would a fox have to travel before it loses its sense of whereabouts? I
know there a rules about caging and dispatching and that foxes taken to
another area find difficulty in adapting because of territory issues.

If you choose to get a catch alive cage/trap (which I did) you cannot
release them elsewhere because of territory difficulties.
If you get a trap like this you have to know that they have to be shot
inside the trap and not released into an area miles away where the
resident foxes will take a dim view and probably kill them. It's cruel
to release them in a new area, believing you are kind.

Thanks. I have been made aware of all that by a pest control person with
whom I discussed our problem. It appears that there are only two
realistic options: electric fencing or caging and dispatch. Should we
decide on an electric fence we will have to give thought to patrons of the
licensed house, some of whom trespass on our green at night and mess
about. We have to tolerate that as entry is quite easy, but they are not
much of a problem. Also, the brewery will have to be told as it is their
property. Cost will probably be the deciding factor.

Hah, I kind of like the idea of inebriated people trespassing on a bowling
green getting zapped by an electric fence. You will of course need to Put
A Notice Up to advise them not to do so to cover yourself in law.
If I could have used an electric fence against the foxes I would have done
so. I already had one for my goat paddock but my garden is very long and
narrow with lots of trees and shrubs on the boundary so it was not an
option.
After a big hit with 20-odd chickens killed in one day during daylight hours
when I was at work, I reluctantly decided on the trap and dispatch method.
I caught 39 in 3 years. 3 in a week once. I'm not proud of it, but
sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
IME, an electric fence might sort your problem out. Trap and dispatch is
for when an electric fence can't work for your situation and there is
nothing else.
Tina

Old 25-06-2012, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-22 14:14:23 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in message
[...]

Electric fence kits are usually supplied with such a notice.

If I could have used an electric fence against the foxes I would have done
so. *I already had one for my goat paddock but my garden is very long and
narrow with lots of trees and shrubs on the boundary so it was not an
option.

Electric fences could be used just in critical areas, such as where
the chickens are. They can also determine which route through the
garden the foxes are likely to take.

Ironically, foxes give my pond electric fence a wide berth and then
jump over the nearby boundary fence to kill my neighbour's unprotected
chickens. Before I installed the electric fence the foxes used to pull
my plant pots our of the pond and gnaw at the liner, etc.

After a big hit with 20-odd chickens killed in one day during daylight hours
when I was at work, I reluctantly decided on the trap and dispatch method..
I caught 39 in 3 years. 3 in a week once. *I'm not proud of it, but
sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
IME, an electric fence might sort your problem out. *Trap and dispatch is
for when an electric fence can't work for your situation and there is
nothing else.
Tina

Its worth a try though and doesn't cost very much.

Doug.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1km6pa5.1yw4g5b1x4z5zyN%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...

You could quite easily purchase a small electric fencer and cover the
whole of the perimeter of the green, and it would cost you less than
£100. If you have mains electricity available so much the better as you
can purchase a mains operated fencer for that sort of money.
I'm positive that that would sort out your problem.

We may well have to resort to this, but I am somewhat reluctant at the
moment due to practicalities. How many strands would you need in order for
it to be effective as they are good jumpers? Where would it be obtainable
at that price? Children and adults sometimes visit the green without
permission and mess about. Have you considered that aspect?

Have a look at the URL:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...e-hlb100-shrik
e-battery-fencer-energiser

This firm is selling electric fences that would suit your needs for £56.
On top of that you would need an earthing post and some wire. Even if
you found that one strand was not sufficient it is possible to buy
netting suitable for an electric fence. If you needed the latter I'm
sure you would come out on the good side of £125. Cheap if it stops
damage to the green.

You would need to put up warning notices of course, but once "bitten" I
don't think trespassers would be a problem.

And on private premises the onus would surely be on them to stay out.

Peter

Old 25-06-2012, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/06/2012 08:05, Peter James wrote:
Emrys Davies wrote:

[...]

Then there is the site I've already poster re fox deterents, they
sometimes have reconditioned units.
David

Old 25-06-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1km6pa5.1yw4g5b1x4z5zyN%pfjames2000@googlemai l.com...

You could quite easily purchase a small electric fencer and cover the
whole of the perimeter of the green, and it would cost you less than
£100. If you have mains electricity available so much the better as you
can purchase a mains operated fencer for that sort of money.
I'm positive that that would sort out your problem.

Children and adults sometimes visit the green without
permission and mess about.

You would need to put up warning notices of course, but once "bitten" I
don't think trespassers would be a problem.

And on private premises the onus would surely be on them to stay out.

Perhaps the answer would be to put up two fences. First one just some
netting on stakes and the electric fence a yard inside that one. The
outer one could carry the warning signs for the inner.

you could try and remove what the foxes are digging for,they don't do
it for pleasure. They will be after grubs and worms and the recent wet
weather won't have helped as such things are close to the surface.
If your conscience and local policies allow it then use the approved
insecticides or get someone in to do it.
Does your ground mans keep an immaculate green by feeding blood and
bone fertilizers. The Foxes will think there is some carrion buried
there.

May be easier to just get a pest controller with the appropriate
licensed firearms in to shoot them though if adjoining property is
really close they may have to trap first and despatch later.
G.Harman
Old 26-06-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

[...]

In my younger day when I worked on the Parks in Hastings, the bowling
greens were dosed with a solution of Potassium permanganate to kill off
the worms,

Old 26-06-2012, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:

[...]

We do not have any problems with worms, leather jackets or chaffer grubs.
Foxes are quite destructive and I think that they will dig just for the sake
of it, although I concede that they could be digging for food. The green is
in very good condition apart from the fox damage. I think that we will
eventually beat them by destroying their sleeping area and visiting it
regularly and also by erecting an electric fence.