Old 21-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Talking New to this and looking for tips!!

Hi i'm Mike i'm 31 and i am new to all this and havent a clue about gardening
I have taken it up as a hobbie to chill out as i have just been told i have epilepsy and this would help with stress hahahaha yeah right i have the bug now and want my garden looking good.
Any tips would be a big help please i only have a small garden and i have also just built myself a potting shead.
One thing i need help with is i am thinking about making a flower wall but just with ferns, my family and I do a lot of walking and we come across a lot of wild ones are you aloud to take cuttings or any small plants or is this a no no?? I have seen you can bag new groth with a little compost but this would look strange to other walkers.
Any tips or help with this matter I would appreciate it.

Thanks little Mike
Old 22-06-2012, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New to this and looking for tips!!

--
little mike

No-body can answer a general question like that.
You need to start with easy stuff (not ferns).
You need to decide what branch of gardening interests you and get a
good book.
Someone here wil lalways answer any specific questions you have.
Old 22-06-2012, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"little mike" wrote

Hi i'm Mike i'm 31 and i am new to all this and havent a clue about
gardening
I have taken it up as a hobbie to chill out as i have just been told i
have epilepsy and this would help with stress hahahaha yeah right i have
the bug now and want my garden looking good.
Any tips would be a big help please i only have a small garden and i
have also just built myself a potting shead.
One thing i need help with is i am thinking about making a flower wall
but just with ferns, my family and I do a lot of walking and we come
across a lot of wild ones are you aloud to take cuttings or any small
plants or is this a no no?? I have seen you can bag new groth with a
little compost but this would look strange to other walkers.
Any tips or help with this matter I would appreciate it.

Welcome to this Newsgroup. Whilst gardening is often quoted as a stress
releasing hobby if you get into it seriously it can have it's moments like
everything else. This year all our peas were eaten by mice, the parsnips
have refused to germinate, the fennel germinated and then got eaten, some of
the carrots got eaten, and nothing other than the brassicas seems to be
growing. We do not feel stress relieved at the moment.
I thought taking plants from the wild was a no-no but don't quote me on
that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-06-2012, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Don't know anything about flower walls, and I suspect collecting ferns
from the wild is illegal (but IANAL), but you can buy them online, see
for example http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/index.html . You
would probably need a north-facing wall to grow them successfully, as
most of them like damp shade.

It's not illegal, except for a few species. However, while taking
plants from the wild is often ecologically better than buying them,
ferns are a group that is usually harmed by the practice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2012, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Don't know anything about flower walls, and I suspect collecting ferns
from the wild is illegal (but IANAL), but you can buy them online, see
for example http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/acatalog/index.html . You
would probably need a north-facing wall to grow them successfully, as
most of them like damp shade.

It's not illegal, except for a few species. However, while taking
plants from the wild is often ecologically better than buying them,
ferns are a group that is usually harmed by the practice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Removal of any plant material of endangered or listed species (even if you
are the landowner) is illegal. Removal of any plant material without the
landowners permission is illegal. This includes the picking of bluebells,
primroses and wild daffodils. Seed can usually be collected from council
owned roadside verges but the percentage crop should not be more than 20%.

Phil
Formally Head of the Ashton Wold Wildflower Project.

Old 22-06-2012, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

Removal of any plant material of endangered or listed species (even if you
are the landowner) is illegal. Removal of any plant material without the
landowners permission is illegal. This includes the picking of bluebells,
primroses and wild daffodils. Seed can usually be collected from council
owned roadside verges but the percentage crop should not be more than 20%.

Stuff and nonsense. Read the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Bluebells are not in Schedule 8 as far as section 13(1) is
concerned.

Yes, that infamous act stole rights from the public, but it stole
far less than is claimed by the followers of William the *******.
The only thing that is forbidden even by that act for plants not
in schedule 8 is uprooting them - and, while there is no precedent
as far as I know, it is doubtful that taking a rooted offshoot
would count as that. It is CERTAINLY not illegal to pick the
flowers you specify.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

[...]

Oh, so you're quite happy for me to come onto your proprty and pick your
flowers?

Phil

Old 22-06-2012, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

[...]

I have news for you. Wild flowers growing on your land are not
your property. Of course, following on from William the *******,
the English establishment has been very keen on claiming rights
they do not have, and depriving others of them. That is morally
theft and YOU are taking sides with the thieves.

"The law doth punish man or woman
That steals the goose from off the common,
But lets the greater felon loose
That steals the common from the goose."

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2012, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

[...]

I posted before I intended to. Here is the rest.

Removing or damaging wild flowers, animals etc. has always been
a tort (trespass), not a crime, which means that the landowner
has a right to damages, but no more. In particular, picking
flowers, fruit etc. where it does no harm to anyone is no kind
of offence whatsoever. During the furore over that Act, even
its proponents were keen to state that traditional gathering
(whether it be elderflower, blackberry or whatever) was not
affected.

Also, there always has been a difference in interpretation of
trespass between the 'domestic' land immediately surrounding a
property and such things as farmland. Let alone publicly-owned
land, such as highways (including verges) and Crown land.

Of course, the modern successors of the land reivers, which
regrettably include some so-called conservation charities, do
their level best to spread the lie that the act forbids picking
flowers, and even fruit. Well, it doesn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User

Post

Removal of any plant material of endangered or listed species (even if you
are the landowner) is illegal. Removal of any plant material without the
landowners permission is illegal. This includes the picking of bluebells,
primroses and wild daffodils. Seed can usually be collected from council
owned roadside verges but the percentage crop should not be more than 20%.[/i][/color]

Stuff and nonsense. Read the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Bluebells are not in Schedule 8 as far as section 13(1) is
concerned.

Yes, that infamous act stole rights from the public, but it stole
far less than is claimed by the followers of William the *******.
The only thing that is forbidden even by that act for plants not
in schedule 8 is uprooting them - and, while there is no precedent
as far as I know, it is doubtful that taking a rooted offshoot
would count as that. It is CERTAINLY not illegal to pick the
flowers you specify.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you for all your comments and tips. Think its a hard subject for all about the removal or cuttings of wild flowers. But i too will look at the Countryside Act 1981 or maybe just stick to the garden centers haha.
Thank you all again.

Old 22-06-2012, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

[...]

Ah, a commie, I suppose that's only to be expected given the long
association that Cambridge University has had with that organisation!

Phil

Old 23-06-2012, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message

Ah, a commie, I suppose that's only to be expected given the long
association that Cambridge University has had with that organisation!

Phil

What an extraordinary thing to say! I have found Nick to be kind and
helpful on this group and his political affiliations are of no interest to
me whatever they might be.

Old 23-06-2012, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , little mike
writes

[...]

at the Countryside Act 1981 or maybe just stick to the garden centers[/i][/color]

There is a bit more to it as well, not just WCA 1981.

As said, in general that act doesn't restrict your taking of parts of
plants (except schedule 8), and under the Theft Act you are allowed to
take parts of plants (picking fruit, flowers etc.).

What you are not allowed to do is uproot or take away a whole plant.

But there is also the Countryside and Rights of Way act 2000, which
introduced Open Access land. This does restrict your taking of bit of
plants.

Under Schedule 2 of the CROW you are not allowed to take any parts of
plants from land you accessing under these rights

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/schedule/2
--
Chris French

Old 23-06-2012, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , little mike
writes

Under Schedule 2 of the CROW you are not allowed to take any parts of
plants from land you accessing under these rights

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/schedule/2

Unless you have the permission of the landowner - which is what I said in
the first place!

Phil

Old 23-06-2012, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/23/2012 11:13 AM, Phil Gurr wrote:
"chris wrote in message
In , little mike
writes

Under Schedule 2 of the CROW you are not allowed to take any parts of
plants from land you accessing under these rights

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/37/schedule/2

Unless you have the permission of the landowner - which is what I said in
the first place!

Does the legislation mentioned above apply to Scotland, too? I thought
Scots law was somewhat different.