Old 26-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered User

Default Id Needed!

hi all,

i decided to cut down a bush in my garden today as i didnt want it there anymore.. its given me a rash, and its REALLY itchy, so was just wondering if anyone can give me an ID on it from thie picture?

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...34613387_o.jpg
Old 27-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni_c View Post
hi all,

i decided to cut down a bush in my garden today as i didnt want it there anymore.. its given me a rash, and its REALLY itchy, so was just wondering if anyone can give me an ID on it from thie picture?

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...34613387_o.jpg
That looks like giant hogweed. You wouldn't normally call it a "bush".

It's really very, very nasty. From Heracleum mantegazzianum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Protective clothing, including eye protection, should be worn when handling or digging it. If skin is exposed, the affected area should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and the exposed skin protected from the sun for several days."

"Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as it burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary.[7] Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness.[9] These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins."
Old 27-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
[...]

ooh not good then considering i only had garden gloves on!!
this morning my arms werent any where near as itchy, and the rash i came out in seems to have gone down leaving only a few small red marks and bumps ud see from stinging nettle contact.. a friend thinks it might be chaya?
Old 27-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni_c View Post
ooh not good then considering i only had garden gloves on!!
this morning my arms werent any where near as itchy, and the rash i came out in seems to have gone down leaving only a few small red marks and bumps ud see from stinging nettle contact.. a friend thinks it might be chaya?
You are posting on a UK gardening forum, so I assume you are in UK. Chaya is a tender Mexican vegetable that is not grown in the UK and is too tender to self-seed as a weed here. Also it has very obvious white leaf ribs on the upper surface of the leaf. See picture of leaf further down the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaya_(plant)

As the previous material I quoted indicates, giant hogweed contact results in photosensitivity, so it will get better over night, 'cos its dark, and then worse again as you expose the contacted area to sunlight again. Keep the affected area covered with clothing for a week or so for relief.
Old 28-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
You are posting on a UK gardening forum, so I assume you are in UK. Chaya is a tender Mexican vegetable that is not grown in the UK and is too tender to self-seed as a weed here. Also it has very obvious white leaf ribs on the upper surface of the leaf. See picture of leaf further down the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaya_(plant)

As the previous material I quoted indicates, giant hogweed contact results in photosensitivity, so it will get better over night, 'cos its dark, and then worse again as you expose the contacted area to sunlight again. Keep the affected area covered with clothing for a week or so for relief.
yes i am in the UK

and thats cool.. it wa a guess from him anyway!!!
ill keep myself covered up for the week thank you very much for your help x