Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tall plant needed

On 2012-07-01 08:47:41 +0100, Pam Moore said:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:59:49 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 27/06/2012 10:04, Pam Moore wrote:
My garden is very small, 5 yds by 9 yds but it is very full of plants.
It backs onto a path which serves our back gates.
Now the housing association who own the site have decided the paths
need upgrading (fine!) but also that for Health and Safety the lane
should have lights though we've managed for 30 years without lights!
They have put up a full height street lamp post immediately behind my
fence. We are fighting it but when/if they install the lamp it will
be 9 yds from my sitting room and bedroom windows.

One practical point since they are installing it that close in is that
you can probably insist that they fit the thing with a full cutoff
luminaire and/or a shade protector to prevent it disturbing your sleep.
They are not uncommon additions to avoid light trespass.

I want to plant something to hide it. I had a lovely tall eucalyptus
growing there until 2 years ago but as it got tall I cut it back, as
they say you can do , but it did not regrow.
The fence runs S-N.
Any suggestions on something tall and slim?

One of the pencil thin cyprusses? Although starting small it may take a
while to get that high - a big one would be expensive. eg.

http://www.seagravenurseries.co.uk/p...s-and-conifers

There's not much space either width-wise or at soil level.
I don't like prunus amanaganogawa which a friend suggested.
On the new AT prog last night (more Ground Force!) someone planted
tall palms but that would not look right here.
Another euc? Or is there something else?
HELP please.

Pam in Bristol

Of all the suggestions, I like the Italian Cyprus best.
Can anyone say how hardy they are? It looks as though the cheapest
would be £50+ with delivery extra.
I'm so cross I cut down the eucalyptus. It was in just the right
position and tall enough.

Pam in Bristol

They're beautiful trees but do be cautious of the fact that in our
wetter, less well drained climate, they tend to lose that pencil
slimness and become bushier. I don't know if you saw my suggestion for
Crinodendron hookerianum or a Eucryphia. But they may be too bushy for
you, perhaps. Would a clipped bay tree do the trick. You'd have to
'manage' it and the same goes for Azara which has the bonus of scented
flowers. Otherwise, could you put in your own tall pole, cemented into
position and grow something up it?

Thanks Sacha
I may have to completely rethink that part of my garden, but the image
of a tall cyprus seemed ideal. I think those you suggested would be
too big.
Your sugtgestion of a pole of my own is interestgin but I'm not so
sure it would look right. It's so close to the house.
They're putting the lamp itself up this week.
I think I'll just move!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

PS You might like to look at Hoheria sexstylosas, too. We have a few
here and they're wonderful trees. Ours are evergreen and light and
airy so not too dominant in a smallish space. The flowers come in late
summer and are scented. They're under-used trees, ioo. They seed
freely but that's easily dealt with!

Thanks. I'll look at that one too.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 10:54:50 +0100, David Hill

wrote:

[...]

I think we must remember the size of Pam's garden 5yards by 9 yards so
even a small tree with a spread of 3 yards will take up a chunk, also we
don't know if it will great shade over any of the garden.
I'd go with the idea of a tall post/pole with either a vigorous rose
growing up it or something of that ilk, that could be kept to a spread
of around 3 ft. I know that some of my climbing roses are growing out
through trees of over 20 ft, and some of the new stems are already 12 ft
tall, granted that is from plants that have been in for several years.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay

Thanks for that idea David.
Perhaps a Kiftsgate? LOL
It's just getting something to that height. My eucalyptus was just
about the right height.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

In the morning I'll try taking a photo. Can't do it now as the sun
(know what that is?) would be in the photo.
Needs a morning shot.

Pam in Bristol