Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered User

Default Acorus in lawn

I went to look at a job earlier were a customer was complaining that he had a strange grass growing in his lawn, when i got there i saw that it was an acorus which i have never seen or heard of before.

The question he asked was how he would get rid of it from the lawn and it had both me and my dad stumped as i didn't think a normal selective lawn weedkiller would do the trick because of the type of plant and even if the lawn was the be replaced with new turf then there would still be the problem of the seeds germinating in the soil.

any suggestions on either how to get rid of it or how to manage the spread of the plant.

we have already told him to remove the parent plant that the seed is coming from in his garden but his neighbor has the acorus growing around his pond and doesn't want to get rid of it so the seeds will still come from there

any suggestions will be much appreciated
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Eames
writes

[...]

How wet is the lawn? Acorus calamus is a plant of the margins of water
bodies.

If it did manage to establish in a lawn I would have expected mowing to
see it off.

Other than that, spot weeding techniques such as weed knives, weed wands
and weed sticks.

--
Eames

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Eames writes

[...]

Quite agree, it suggests the lawn is more like a bog garden.
I know people that have that plant without any spread, even into the normal
borders.
Weed & Feed should see it off.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/07/2012 08:08, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Eames
writes

[...]

If his lawn is like mine then this year it is on the verge of ponding.
Yesterday saw another 35mm of rain here and I now have a spring at the
top of the lawn (and a fountain at the bottom of the drive). The old
capped well in a neighbours garden has overflowed under her drive.

Fern garden is nice and and green though and the slugs are gigantic.

If it did manage to establish in a lawn I would have expected mowing to
see it off.

Other than that, spot weeding techniques such as weed knives, weed wands
and weed sticks.

I suspect it is just this year that lawns are so wet that water margin
plants are at home there. It would certainly have no trouble growing in
mine at the moment. Some roads out of the village are seriously flooded
in stretches 100m long and in places 0.5m deep. No homes affected tho.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eames View Post
[...]

Interesting. Wikipedia suggests that the cultivated form of A calamus is triploid and sterile. If this is indeed what is being grown, then it isn't coming from seed, its spreading from rhizomes. In which case a bid of glyphosate carefully applied might do the trick.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , echinosum
writes

Eames;964137 Wrote:
[...]

IIRC, I've read that the diploid and triploid forms are about equally
common "in the wild" in the UK.

--
echinosum

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
[...]

Acorus calamus is a monocot (but Acorus is the sister group to all other
monocots), so whether a broad-leaved weedkiller would work is not a
question to which the answer is obvious.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley