Old 16-07-2012, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default gardening shoes

In article , Baz
writes
Has anybody reading this subject seen a soldier trouping the Queens
colours, or similar, shoe lace come undone? No, because of the way they tie
them. It is hard to describe but I am looking for a url to show you.

Well Tom's laces never came undone, but on some jobs he would have had
gaiters on which might have kept the laces together more. Can't remember
how he tied up his boots.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 16-07-2012, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Tie the bow and then tie a knot in the bow, used to be my preferred method.

Done that and done that they still unravel.

There are 2 ways to knot after bowing - if you knot the way I do, it is
easier to undo, and you can still pull it open by pulling the correct
lace (although harder to pull than a bow). If you swap the over/under
and knot it, it's a lot harder to undo (except I can't make myself tie
them that way, however hard I try!)

My shoes at the moment undo 2 or 3 times a day, and I think it's due to
the laces being very flat. It's very annoying.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
oh I was in guides and brownies etc. and have tried all sorts of
knots!! Someone did suggest I use flat laces as it's the round ones that
slip!

I find the opposite, I've never had laces slip until I had these ones
which are very flat - about double the width of a tagliatelle(a)
Old 17-07-2012, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-16 18:35:32 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Only those who can still bend down! ;-)

And get up again! ;-)

Baz
Old 17-07-2012, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-16 14:06:15 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I had similar problems because the shoes came with leather laces so
I went to a "walking shop" and got some proper walking boot laces
and used them, problem cured. If you have to cut them just burn the
end and it will seal and not fray.

Oh I'll try that - thanks

I think it's time for the slip-ons with velcro fastenings, Janet!
;-))

I see you know all about those, Sacha ...
--

Only by remote experience!

you mean someone else fastens your velcro?
--

Only those who can still bend down! ;-)

Ahhh all friends together then ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-07-2012, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-16 18:35:32 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Only those who can still bend down! ;-)

And get up again! ;-)

hahaha I hadn't thought of that!!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 17-07-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-16 18:35:32 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Only those who can still bend down! ;-)

And get up again! ;-)

Baz

Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's something
to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I couldn't. Makes
me furious!

Arthritis. The scourge of my dog and my life but fortunately, not the osteo
kind.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-07-2012, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/17/2012 7:36 AM, Sacha wrote:

Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's something
to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I couldn't. Makes
me furious!

I use one of those garden kneelers - flipped over, it's a seat. I do as
much as I can from a seated position, then turn it over to do the rest.
The upside-down seat legs let me raise and lower myself easily, even
when my knee is acting up.

Old 17-07-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-16 18:35:32 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

Only those who can still bend down! ;-)

And get up again! ;-)

Baz

Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's
something to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I
couldn't. Makes me furious!

Now, that is sad to hear.
Baz
Old 17-07-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 7/17/2012 7:36 AM, Sacha wrote:

Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's something
to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I couldn't. Makes
me furious!

I use one of those garden kneelers - flipped over, it's a seat. I do as
much as I can from a seated position, then turn it over to do the rest.
The upside-down seat legs let me raise and lower myself easily, even when
my knee is acting up.

That is what I use!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-07-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-17 13:14:18 +0100, S Viemeister
said:

On 7/17/2012 7:36 AM, Sacha wrote:

Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's something
to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I couldn't. Makes
me furious!

I use one of those garden kneelers - flipped over, it's a seat. I do as
much as I can from a seated position, then turn it over to do the rest.
The upside-down seat legs let me raise and lower myself easily, even when
my knee is acting up.

Yes, I'm thinking of getting one of those. At present, the beds are so
full and lushly covered (thanks to the rain) that not much ground weeding
has to be done!

I use mine a lot, inside the house too!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-07-2012, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/17/2012 11:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
said:
On 7/17/2012 7:36 AM, Sacha wrote:
Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's
something to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I couldn't.
Makes me furious!

I use one of those garden kneelers - flipped over, it's a seat. I do
as much as I can from a seated position, then turn it over to do the
rest. The upside-down seat legs let me raise and lower myself easily,
even when my knee is acting up.

Yes, I'm thinking of getting one of those. At present, the beds are
so full and lushly covered (thanks to the rain) that not much ground
weeding has to be done!

I use mine a lot, inside the house too!

So do I, which explains the various colours of paint splatters on mine!

Old 17-07-2012, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

said:
On 7/17/2012 7:36 AM, Sacha wrote:
Ah now, that really is the tricky bit. Since developing arthritis
I've
discovered that if I kneel down, I can't get up unless there's
something to clamber up. One day I could, next day (it seemed) I
couldn't.
Makes me furious!

I use one of those garden kneelers - flipped over, it's a seat. I do
as much as I can from a seated position, then turn it over to do the
rest. The upside-down seat legs let me raise and lower myself easily,
even when my knee is acting up.

Yes, I'm thinking of getting one of those. At present, the beds are
so full and lushly covered (thanks to the rain) that not much ground
weeding has to be done!

I use mine a lot, inside the house too!

So do I, which explains the various colours of paint splatters on mine!

.... and on mine

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/