Old 16-07-2012, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weed killing in rain

Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching
off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 16-07-2012, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:37:05 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching
off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.

You could lay some plastic sheet over whatever you've sprayed and
weight it down with some bricks or stones until the spray has
dried/been absorbed properly. For individual plants, cut the bottoms
of some 2 litre pop bottles.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 16-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching
off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.
--
Janet Tweedy
Sodium Chlorate, preferably in granular form if you can still get it, sprinkled lightly in the cracks would probably work ok.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
You could lay some plastic sheet over whatever you've sprayed and
weight it down with some bricks or stones until the spray has
dried/been absorbed properly. For individual plants, cut the bottoms
of some 2 litre pop bottles.

Oh now that's a thought, bravo Jake, Good for most weeds
However there's no such thing as an individual ground elder plant
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-07-2012, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Granity.a7a3196
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;964601']Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in
paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching

off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.

I wouldn't compost its roots or seedheads, but if your lawn mowings
just contain chopped off leaves of GE, those should not regenerate in a
compost heap.

--
Janet Tweedy

Sodium Chlorate, preferably in granular form if you can still get it,
sprinkled lightly in the cracks would probably work ok.

It's banned now.

So long as the area doesn't drain onto beds or lawn, look for a
path/driveway weedkiller that lasts months. They are residual in the soil
so rain shouldn't matter.
Janet

Old 17-07-2012, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;964601']Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in
paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching

off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.
--
Janet Tweedy

Sodium Chlorate, preferably in granular form if you can still get it,
sprinkled lightly in the cracks would probably work ok.

Or go and nick some salt from the highways dept bins at the road side.

Old 19-07-2012, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/07/2012 15:37, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Is there ANY weed killer that would work on say, cracks in paving or
along paths in all this wet weather? I mean how often can you spray if
you have to have 4 hours of dry weather afterwards!!

Ignore the nominal 4 hours dry afterwards - that is the manufacturers
being cautious and covering themselves. Two hours will do and on paths
the Pathclear type formulations contain a persistent component that will
remain in the soil to discourage germination. Ideally you do want it dry
though as heavy rain could move the weedkiller where you don't want it.

I expect you can get a four hour rainfree spell if you plan carefully.
We even had a dry sunny spell long enough last weekend for me to cut the
lawn. The grass itself was dry but the ground waterlogged.

Have tried boiling water and boiling salted water and so on which is
fine but if I don't kill some of the larger stuff soon they'll push my
paving up!

Nice sunny day and aim for yur best guess of a at least a couple of
hours dry.

I also have now got Ground elder, which i manage to keep on top of in
the dryer weather most years, coming across the flower beds and marching
off into the grass and beyond!

Which means I can't put my grass cuttings in the compost.

The tops off ground elder have never given me any trouble in my compost
heap - but it runs hot. It is only ground elder roots that are trouble
and they are no bother if you leave them in the sun to desiccate first.

Lack of sun spoils that strategy for the roots but I would not worry
about adding the cropped tops to compost unless it had set seed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown