Old 19-07-2012, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default hedgehogs

Brief but nice article about hedgehogs in The Guardian yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...dgehogs-garden
Old 19-07-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Adam Funk wrote:
Brief but nice article about hedgehogs in The Guardian yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...dgehogs-garden

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road this
week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the station, not
out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing them out.
Old 19-07-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road
this week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the
station, not out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing
them out.

They must be like lambs to slaughter now, and starving after a very very
long spell in hibernation. I wonder if there will be any hoglets this year.

Baz
Old 19-07-2012, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
Brief but nice article about hedgehogs in The Guardian yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...dgehogs-garden

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road this
week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the station, not
out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing them out.

I saw one (alive) in a cemetery last weekend, but that's the only one
I've seen for several years.
Old 19-07-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 12:46:57 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road
this week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the
station, not out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing
them out.

They must be like lambs to slaughter now, and starving after a very very
long spell in hibernation. I wonder if there will be any hoglets this year.

Baz

Hogs have been out here for some time feasting on slugs. I have seen
two at a time but from the droppings I think there are three or four.
They follow the same paths around the garden each night and always
seem to poop most in the same place, close to my un-nibbled hostas, so
I'm guessing that the slugs are aiming for them but the hogs are
intelligent and are lying in wait.

I have also found frogs under the hostas in the daytime.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 19-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Funk[_3_] View Post
On 2012-07-19, wrote:

Adam Funk
wrote:
Brief but nice article about hedgehogs in The Guardian yesterday:

Hogging the limelight: Why hedgehogs need a path through our gardens | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road this
week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the station, not
out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing them out.

I saw one (alive) in a cemetery last weekend, but that's the only one
I've seen for several years.
We have one or two in the garden most nights, but then we're surrounded by fields, haven't seen any youngsters yet though.
Old 19-07-2012, 08:44 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
We have one or two in the garden most nights, but then we're surrounded by fields, haven't seen any youngsters yet though.
After not seeing any for years, we've seen a big one, a middle sized one and a teenage one.
__________________
Old 20-07-2012, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote
Granity;964960 Wrote:
We have one or two in the garden most nights, but then we're
surrounded by fields, haven't seen any youngsters yet though.

After not seeing any for years, we've seen a big one, a middle sized
one and a teenage one.

"Who's been eating *my* slug porridge?" said the biggest hedgehog,
indignantly.

One year we tried one of those cage traps to catch young rabbits that
were getting through a hedge into our garden. No rabbit ever did venture
into it but we kept finding what we thought must be the same large hog
in there almost every morning, so in the end we had to stop setting the
trap so he wouldn't lose every night's feeding time.

There have been hedgehogs around here most years but I've only actually
seen one young one this year so far, rootling around among plants late
one afternoon. We are getting the tell tale signs left on the lawn to
prove they're visiting under cover of darkness though.

--
Sue

Old 20-07-2012, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sue wrote:
One year we tried one of those cage traps to catch young rabbits that
were getting through a hedge into our garden. No rabbit ever did venture
into it but we kept finding what we thought must be the same large hog
in there almost every morning, so in the end we had to stop setting the
trap so he wouldn't lose every night's feeding time.

Maybe he waasn't losing his feeding time, perhaps he was wandering in
to crash out after a hard night snuffling.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
Sue wrote:
One year we tried one of those cage traps to catch young rabbits that
were getting through a hedge into our garden. No rabbit ever did
venture into it but we kept finding what we thought must be the same
large hog in there almost every morning, so in the end we had to stop
setting the trap so he wouldn't lose every night's feeding time.

Maybe he waasn't losing his feeding time, perhaps he was wandering in
to crash out after a hard night snuffling.

The nerve!
I should have called the slug squad.

--
Sue

Old 20-07-2012, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2012 17:05, Sue wrote:

wrote
Sue wrote:
One year we tried one of those cage traps to catch young rabbits that
were getting through a hedge into our garden. No rabbit ever did
venture into it but we kept finding what we thought must be the same
large hog in there almost every morning, so in the end we had to stop
setting the trap so he wouldn't lose every night's feeding time.

Maybe he waasn't losing his feeding time, perhaps he was wandering in
to crash out after a hard night snuffling.

The nerve!
I should have called the slug squad.

No Just snail him to the ground
Old 20-07-2012, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19 18:23:30 +0100, Jake said:

[...]

No badgers round you, presumably? We haven't seen a hedgehog in this
garden for a long, long time. And more's the pity!

Neither have we, I don't understand where they have all gone.

Alan

Old 21-07-2012, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19 18:23:30 +0100, Jake said:

[...]

I have seen five or six dead badgers in the road this last few weeks.
(Traffic kills)

Old 21-07-2012, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:
Brief but nice article about hedgehogs in The Guardian yesterday:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...dgehogs-garden

I meant to post yesterday - I've seen 2 dead hedgehogs on the road this
week, where previously I've seen none (ie, between me and the station,
not
out in the countryside). Must be all the slugs bringing them out.

I saw one (alive) in a cemetery last weekend, but that's the only one
I've seen for several years.

I saw a dead flat one on the road I use frequently to go to the supermarket
2 days ago and today there is another flat one less than a metre away from
the first. I've never seen that before and it's not exactly a busy road.
For two hedgehogs to get killed during the night hours on a road that winds
through a small industrial estate that mainly only outlying villagers use
has to be sheer bad luck.
Or. Maybe. thinks
The industrial units get deliveries from big lorries that arrive from all
over the world and sometimes during the night.
I am not a detective but do I have a case?