Old 21-09-2012, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roundup-resistant weeds

In article , Martin
writes
The parasite is only one cause.

If you google you will find that it has been identified as the main
cause.

But if you talk to bee experts (and many bee keepers) you get a
different picture from google.

It seems most likely that varroa itself wouldn't cause anything like the
problems that have been seen. However, bad infestations can weaken a
hive to the extent that other environmental factors (that also in
themselves wouldn't cause collapse) can tip colonies over the edge to
collapse.

It really is fascinating stuff (as are bee colonies in general).

--
regards andyw
Old 22-09-2012, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, September 21, 2012 11:17:49 AM UTC+1, news wrote:
In article , Martin

writes

The parasite is only one cause.

If you google you will find that it has been identified as the main

cause.

But if you talk to bee experts (and many bee keepers) you get a

different picture from google.

It seems most likely that varroa itself wouldn't cause anything like the

problems that have been seen. However, bad infestations can weaken a

hive to the extent that other environmental factors (that also in

themselves wouldn't cause collapse) can tip colonies over the edge to

collapse.

It really is fascinating stuff (as are bee colonies in general).

--

regards andyw

Well it would seem that the wheels of government are cranking slowly into action on this issue.

It is amazing how profit-motivated people will do virtually nothing about environmental destruction until it is virtually too late. Only when their incomes are affected to they take any notice of the warning signs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ry?INTCMP=SRCH
Old 22-09-2012, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emery Davis wrote in
:

On 09/20/2012 10:52 AM, Martin wrote:
Just remember that we take in more antibiotics in our meat than we
get
from the Dr.

Especially in the Netherlands.

Very easy to avoid in France though. Many butchers follow the supply
line closely and can guarantee grass fed, minimum intervention beef.
All bets are off if you buy from a big supermarket though.

BTW after a big push around 10 yrs ago antibiotics are much less
prescribed here. It's true they used to be handed out for every cold
and sniffle.

Yes, and I think it's true that once a patient feels a bit better, the
antibiotics are neglected and kept and then used again. I know I have
done that. No doctor has advised me otherwise. Ever. We simply did not
know the damage. Did the doctor? No! Or at least never told us. There is
the problem. Ignorance. By both patient and GP. We are supposed to trust
our GP with our lives...

Baz