Old 14-10-2012, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do you think about mouse control?

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:29:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
. ..
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

For what its worth, my opinion is that it is NOT ok to drown any
creature. As swift a death as possible. A snap trap is good and
probably the best way
but I have seen them with their noses trapped and must have died very
slowly. A bit negative I know but I don't know a better alternative.

I agree completely. No need to prolong the death of *any* creature
where a more kindly alternative exists.

Apart from Steerpike?

who asked for the behaviour of twelve sock puppets to be taken into
account.

What do you think ...

The jury is out on that, but not for long.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 15-10-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

The pest control man told that if there is a hole somewhere in your
house that you can get a biro into, a mouse will get in. Up drainpipes
was another favourite, I believe. I've watched one climbing up a fig
tree against a wall.

Mice climbed up a plaster wall, in the cupboard under the stairs, got
in and out of a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a nail, and ate the
crisps that were in it

Was there some cheese in the crisps? :-;

Baz
Old 15-10-2012, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:02:55 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

The pest control man told that if there is a hole somewhere in your
house that you can get a biro into, a mouse will get in. Up drainpipes
was another favourite, I believe. I've watched one climbing up a fig
tree against a wall.

Mice climbed up a plaster wall, in the cupboard under the stairs, got
in and out of a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a nail, and ate the
crisps that were in it

Was there some cheese in the crisps? :-;

:-)

I was impressed that they chewed their way into unopened bags

So their sense of smell is very well evolved. And you are upset 'cos they
opened them first? Beat tham to it next time, Martin...

Baz
Old 15-10-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:52:23 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:02:55 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

The pest control man told that if there is a hole somewhere in
your house that you can get a biro into, a mouse will get in. Up
drainpipes was another favourite, I believe. I've watched one
climbing up a fig tree against a wall.

Mice climbed up a plaster wall, in the cupboard under the stairs,
got in and out of a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a nail, and
ate the crisps that were in it

Was there some cheese in the crisps? :-;
:-)

I was impressed that they chewed their way into unopened bags

So their sense of smell is very well evolved.

or their ability to recognise a carrier bag containing food?

And you are upset 'cos they
opened them first? Beat tham to it next time, Martin...

:-)

The mice, our two children and the crisps are long gone. Our children
and the mice used to eat the crisps. I put cement in the hole that the
mice used to get into the cupboard, but not before they had chewed up
a pair of trainers

Another cheesy treat?

Baz
Old 16-10-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
..

Mice climbed up a plaster wall, in the cupboard under the stairs, got
in and out of a plastic carrier bag, hanging from a nail, and ate the
crisps that were in it

I'm not surprised, they are very crafty.

Old 16-10-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 17:55:24 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:54:25 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

I don't use anything at all as there is no way they can get into the
house. They can have the run of the garden. If I wanted to control
them I would arrange a one way hole through the fence into next door!

They get into our house when the kitchen door is left open.
--

But would anyone use a glue trap?

Old 19-10-2012, 05:16 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
[/i][/color]
But would anyone use a glue trap?

I would use a live mammal trap and empty the mouse further down the garden. If I wasn't happy about doing that I'd use a break neck trap. I wouldn't use a glue trap.

I have to add that I very rarely have live mice in the house - about once every few years. And therefore I'm not particularly inclined to attempt the impossible task of eradicating them from the garden.