Old 13-10-2012, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What do you think about mouse control?

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

Old 13-10-2012, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/2012 18:54, Christina Websell wrote:
I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

I bought Rat glue a few years ago in Spain, but never used it.
I also prefer the old style mouse trap, and in the last 2 weeks have had
16 of the little pests.
I throw the bodies onto the track where our resident Sparrow hawk
removes them for me. Makes a change from "Fings with wings"
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

Old 13-10-2012, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:54:25 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

You need to subscribe to alt.rec.exterminate
--

Martin

I won't bother. I am asking the gardeners here what they think about glue
traps.

Old 13-10-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

Resident cat (in between making sure that no alien cat craps on the
property) does a pretty decent job of catching rats and mice (and
moles in season) and leaving the bodies as tribute in the porch each
night. I will not mention the occasions when he offers us the chance
to enjoy the thrill of the hunt by delivering a live one somewhere on
the human side of the front door.

But I would not use glue traps. Mice and whatever are not in-sentient
beings. A quick (relatively painless I hope) kill is delivered by
snap-traps. The thought of drowning anything (other than a slug or
snail in salted water) gives me real shivers!

We do have a rat problem here (living next to farmland). I have paid
over the odds for a type of rat poison that (a) kills rats with a
single feed and (b) doesn't present a danger to an animal killing a
rat. I suspect that the bait sort of sends the rat to sleep a bit when
it will succumb easily to the nip on the back of the neck that
resident cat delivers (before delivering the body to the porch for
counting).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Old 13-10-2012, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I have a good cat too, although he isn't so stupid as to go for big
grandfather rats with huge teeth, time for the terriers
for those, and they give the dogs a run for their money. However, the
terriers don't seem to mind a big rat hanging off their nose with his teeth
in there.
They seem to find it amusing and he is soon snapped up.

I remember insisting on antiseptic once for a badly bitten terrier at my
house. I dabbed her nose for ages, and the terrier men allowed it and
snickered.
No working terrier worth its salt is allowed such a thing.
FGS the rat had taken a bit of her nose off - but she didn't mind, she
wanted me to stop attending to her nose so she could get out and kill a few
more rats.

I have to make certain that Boyfie is inside the house when the terriers
come - otherwise he would be an ex-cat. They kill anything in their path.
They aren't like normal terriers that you might have as a pet. They are
killing machines.
I would not trust them anywhere near a child.

Old 13-10-2012, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

Resident cat (in between making sure that no alien cat craps on the
property) does a pretty decent job of catching rats and mice (and
moles in season) and leaving the bodies as tribute in the porch each
night. I will not mention the occasions when he offers us the chance
to enjoy the thrill of the hunt by delivering a live one somewhere on
the human side of the front door.

Gosh Jake, you must have my Charlie's older brother! Except Charlie brings
them all indoors - dead, half eaten and very much alive. I use a couple of
humane traps when I'm not around to remove the live ones from him. Removed
ones go out the window and take their chance, trapped ones go to work with
me and are released into the overgrown boundary between the car park and the
hotel next door.

I would never use glue traps for mice, though I have used them for carpet
moths and fleas [student accommodation a scrillion years ago]. Totally
unpleasant things.

--
Kathy

Old 14-10-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/2012 18:54, Christina Websell wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

I favour snap traps as well and/or poison grain.

Drowning is an exceptionally nasty fate for any mammal and glue boards
are almost as cruel as snares from the animals point of view.

Poison is no fun for them either but you generally need to do a bit of
both to get complete control. It is now the time of year when critters
try to get in out of the cold as winter approaches.

They are in for a very hard time in my garage this year since my apple
crop is zero.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-10-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another
group..some seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then
drown them. I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

For what its worth, my opinion is that it is NOT ok to drown any creature.
As swift a death as possible. A snap trap is good and probably the best way
but I have seen them with their noses trapped and must have died very
slowly. A bit negative I know but I don't know a better alternative.

Baz
Old 14-10-2012, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message

For what its worth, my opinion is that it is NOT ok to drown any creature.
As swift a death as possible. A snap trap is good and probably the best
way
but I have seen them with their noses trapped and must have died very
slowly. A bit negative I know but I don't know a better alternative.

I agree completely. No need to prolong the death of *any* creature where a
more kindly alternative exists.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 14-10-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

For what its worth, my opinion is that it is NOT ok to drown any
creature. As swift a death as possible. A snap trap is good and
probably the best way
but I have seen them with their noses trapped and must have died very
slowly. A bit negative I know but I don't know a better alternative.

I agree completely. No need to prolong the death of *any* creature
where a more kindly alternative exists.

Apart from Steerpike?

Baz
Old 14-10-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
lid says...

Resident cat (in between making sure that no alien cat craps on the
property) does a pretty decent job of catching rats and mice (and
moles in season) and leaving the bodies as tribute in the porch each
night. I will not mention the occasions when he offers us the chance
to enjoy the thrill of the hunt by delivering a live one somewhere on
the human side of the front door.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Looking out of the bedroom window the other
morning, I spooted something in the middle of
the road. Looke like a red & grey scarf at
first, but when I went out, it was a
decapitated and disembowelled rat. As there
are children in the road, I removed it before
it got run over and threw it into the field
across the road for the buzzards and Red Kites
to find. Neighbour came out at that point and
I told him what I'd just done and with a wince
he congratulated me. Saw him yesterday and he
told me the rest of the rat was found under
his car - he was not happy!

Whilst I get fed up with the cat in our garden
and its crapping on the road, I'm quite happy
for him to despatch the local rodent
population.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 14-10-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

For what its worth, my opinion is that it is NOT ok to drown any
creature. As swift a death as possible. A snap trap is good and
probably the best way
but I have seen them with their noses trapped and must have died very
slowly. A bit negative I know but I don't know a better alternative.

I agree completely. No need to prolong the death of *any* creature
where a more kindly alternative exists.

Apart from Steerpike?

What do you think ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 14-10-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another group..some
seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then drown them.
I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

I don't use anything at all as there is no way they can get into the
house. They can have the run of the garden. If I wanted to control
them I would arrange a one way hole through the fence into next door!

Steve

Old 14-10-2012, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
:

wrote:

I'm having a bit of an argument with the Americans on another
group..some seem to think it's Ok to get them on glue boards and then
drown them. I disagree. I favour snap traps.
What do you all think?

I don't use anything at all as there is no way they can get into the
house. They can have the run of the garden. If I wanted to control
them I would arrange a one way hole through the fence into next door!

Steve

So then, you never open the door?
Are your eaves blocked? Unwise because we all need at least a trickle of
air through the loft. I assume you have guttering too.
Trust nature to get a mouse into your house. Even when you open your door.
Honestly there are thousands of ways. I am not taking the mickey.

Baz