Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daphne bholua 'Jaqueline Postill'

Anyone know the commonest current propagation techniques for this plant?
I'm asking because our plant is surrounded by suckers which atm appear to be identical to the main plant.
There's no visible evidence of a graft union so I'm hoping the suckers are the same plant and not some rootstock.
I understand that micropropagated plants do sucker quite freely so I wonder if that's what I have?

Rod
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 18:19, Rod wrote:
Anyone know the commonest current propagation techniques for this plant?
I'm asking because our plant is surrounded by suckers which atm appear to be identical to the main plant.
There's no visible evidence of a graft union so I'm hoping the suckers are the same plant and not some rootstock.
I understand that micropropagated plants do sucker quite freely so I wonder if that's what I have?

Rod

Not sure Rod but i do know that the plant can very suddenly turn up its
toes for no apparent reason. One friend had a wonderful plant that had
been flowering for several years and was actually getting quite large,
then last year it just suddenly died. No suckers on it though.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 5 January 2013 18:27:14 UTC, Janet wrote:
Not sure Rod but i do know that the plant can very suddenly turn up its

toes for no apparent reason. One friend had a wonderful plant that had

been flowering for several years and was actually getting quite large,

then last year it just suddenly died. No suckers on it though.

--

Janet T.

Amersham

Thanks Janet,
I wonder if that was a grafted plant, though usually with any grafted plants it's the scion that dies and the rootstock continues to grow, so that would look like suckers.
Plants turning up their toes for no obvious reason is something that's happened to me at work and at home a few times over the years, something you usually won't get to the bottom of without the help of a proper post mortem by a switched on plant pathologist. That's not to put anyone off doing their own investigations as far as their knowledge and observation can take them..
Obviously if there's a chance of being affected by one of the current 'plague of the month' nasties then fuller investigation may be needed.

Rod

Old 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
Anyone know the commonest current propagation techniques for this plant?
I'm asking because our plant is surrounded by suckers which atm appear to
be identical to the main plant.
There's no visible evidence of a graft union so I'm hoping the suckers are
the same plant and not some rootstock.
I understand that micropropagated plants do sucker quite freely so I
wonder if that's what I have?

Rod

You are correct, the vast bulk of those sold in the last few years were
micro propped.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-01-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 5 January 2013 22:28:03 UTC, Charlie Pridham wrote:
You are correct, the vast bulk of those sold in the last few years were

micro propped.

Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

Good, thanks Charlie I've got a project now to populate the village with it and scent the whole neighbourhood.

Rod

Daphne bholua Sacha United Kingdom 8 16-12-2006 07:54 AM
Daphne bholua Sacha United Kingdom 7 25-11-2005 12:46 AM
Daphne bholua 'Jaqueline Postill' Rod United Kingdom 4 29-01-2004 07:13 PM
Daphne Pete United Kingdom 0 04-01-2004 11:07 AM
Daphne Odora- diagnosis, please skg Gardening 2 14-04-2003 07:08 AM