Old 12-01-2013, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beechgrove Garden Going National

Beechgrove fans, and potential fans who cannot get BBC Scotland for
some reason, my be glad to hear that this year's series of Beechgrove
Garden will be broadcast on BBC2 nationwide on Sunday lunchtimes from
late March/early April.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:34:02 +0100, Martin wrote:

Given that the move "national" is in response to the programme's
popularity established through iPlayer and satellite, I would doubt
that Auntie would want to change a successful formula.

Cheers, Jake

What? Don't you know that 'Auntie' considers all change to be good!
If there is a successful format, the first move will be to change it. This
will not be to the benefit of the rest of the UK but to Scotland's
detriment.

Phil

Old 13-01-2013, 02:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2013 11:59, Martin wrote:
Expect The One Show's hair dresser to make an
appearance.

and a celebrity chef, one of the presenters will be on Strictly and they
will be given the task of doing a makeover for a school or 'deprived '
council estate householder

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-01-2013, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 02:57:35 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 12/01/2013 11:59, Martin wrote:
Expect The One Show's hair dresser to make an
appearance.

and a celebrity chef, one of the presenters will be on Strictly and they
will be given the task of doing a makeover for a school or 'deprived '
council estate householder

Euuugggh!

Eddie the Eagle is back too!

I visited Beechgrove many years ago in Aberdeen I loved it, but that
Carole ? was convinced she knew me. It got a bit embarrassing but she was
a very nice lassie
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 13-01-2013, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 10:31:13 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 12/01/2013 11:59, Martin wrote:
Expect The One Show's hair dresser to make an
appearance.

and a celebrity chef, one of the presenters will be on Strictly and they
will be given the task of doing a makeover for a school or 'deprived '
council estate householder

Euuugggh!

Eddie the Eagle is back too!

I visited Beechgrove many years ago in Aberdeen I loved it, but that
Carole ? was convinced she knew me. It got a bit embarrassing but she
was
a very nice lassie

I don't know the names of any of those who appear in Beechgrove. It's
personality cult/celeb free.
All the people in Beechgrove appear to be very nice. It's one of the
things we like about the programme.

Did they not move venue some years ago?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 13-01-2013, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2013 08:48, Martin wrote:
Eddie the Eagle is back too!
--

what on Strictly? I'm afraid i don't watch that no any of the xyz factor
stuff nor Dancing on water/ice/floorboards et al

Though I DO like Silent Witness and Lewis if that's any help

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-01-2013, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2013 10:38, Martin wrote:
All the people in Beechgrove appear to be very nice. It's one of the
things we like about the programme.
--

Me TOO no sense of Egos being massaged or personalities being given
bigger spots. Is it because they come from Scotland and not hyped up

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-01-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2013 11:34, Janet wrote:
Beechgrove has done Community Garden outreach section for years past.
With a completely different approach from makeovers in Gardeners World
etc.

yes well, shuffle shuffle, I do tend to fast forward to gardening and
lots of children. Sorry, there's only so much showing children how to
plant, that i can watch, but that's my personal point of view.
Their other makeovers they seem to integrate into the prgrammes as
another venue to comment and advise without 'makeover' becoming the be
all and end all of the content

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-01-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/01/2013 11:55, The Original Jake wrote:
Given that the move "national" is in response to the programme's
popularity established through iPlayer and satellite, I would doubt
that Auntie would want to change a successful formula.

huh, they did with GW when Geoff died and having regrown to a successful
show (apart from the inane acting at the end with "communal cups of
coffee" and "pretending to be surprised the others were there") they
again changed it for the worse after AT retired.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-01-2013, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:49:07 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 12/01/2013 11:55, The Original Jake wrote:
Given that the move "national" is in response to the programme's
popularity established through iPlayer and satellite, I would doubt
that Auntie would want to change a successful formula.

huh, they did with GW when Geoff died and having regrown to a successful
show (apart from the inane acting at the end with "communal cups of
coffee" and "pretending to be surprised the others were there") they
again changed it for the worse after AT retired.

I think there are three elements here that will militate against
destruction of the current format:

1) With one exception (a replacement) the presenters will be the same;
that replacement is either going to be Scottish or be someone who is
prepared to "become Scottish". Whoever it is will need to fit with a
team that gels - there is no "lead Monty" tying together self-standing
segments from the likes of Carol, Rachel and Joe;

2) The production company (Tern TV) will be the same and the base (the
Beechgrove Garden near Aberdeen) will be the same;

3) The programme is made for BBC Scotland. It is a popular format in
Scotland just as it is. BBC Scotland (and indeed BBC Wales) are no
pushovers to BBC HQ.

There may be a 4th factor - Auntie must be painfully aware that her
tinkering with the GW format has resulted in a haemorrhage of viewers.
I think she's testing the water. We'll see.

The other night a group of us were discussing gardening TV over the
proverbial pint. We remembered the likes of Percy Thrower, Clay Jones
and his good pea and so on. Giving age away!!!

Going around the table, all 9 of us used to almost worship the sainted
Geoff and were happy with Alan. We were put off by the
holier-than-thou preaching of Monty in incarnation 1 and thought that
Toby Buckland wasn't given a chance because some mandarin wanted a
tarty programme. We had high hopes of Monty2 but those hopes have been
dashed.

None of the nine now watches GW. We all watch Beechgrove and, after
30-40 years of gardening each, we all say we learn something from it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 13-01-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We've simply given up on GW. Whatever one's personal preference,
Monty's attitude to organic being 'the only way' is simply wrong for a
public service programme. And that's what GW is or should be. People
are sufficiently adult to decide for themselves how to work their
gardens, imo. We thought Toby did a really good job but wasn't allowed
to develop his own approach far enough or long enough. We just don't
watch the programme any more. It's totally unconvincing in terms of
the work done, the amount of it and the bods involved.

It's a shame and imo, a disgrace, that at a time when more and more
people are wanting to grow their own food, the reality is not being
shown to them and they are being taught only one approach by one person
whose personal creed dominates the whole thing. The wrong people are
directing these gardening programmes and what is needed are people with
experience of gardening, not television. The camera angles, grinning
faces and lighting should be secondary to 'how to grow potatoes'. As I
say, we've given up watching - no point, no enjoyment.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-01-2013, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 19:01:48 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've simply given up on GW. Whatever one's personal preference,
Monty's attitude to organic being 'the only way' is simply wrong for a
public service programme. And that's what GW is or should be.

I sent a letter to several gardening mags but none published it. So I
blogged at http://www.rivendell.org.uk/garden/?p=542.

Essentially, Monty lied. There's no other way to put it. That day, GW
ceased to be a factual programme and became fantasy.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 14-01-2013, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2013 18:41, Janet wrote:
Beechgrove has been made and broadcast in Scotland since 1978.

Janet.

Doesn't mean to say they won't 'improve ' it Janet !

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 14-01-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/01/2013 21:57, Martin wrote:
We used to like Midsomer Murders, but not any more.
--

oh same here, now it's gone too weird although I can take the new
detective , it's the story lines/plots which are stupid.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 14-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

The best bit of GW is Nigel, the best bit of Midsomer Murders is Sykes. :-)

Last Reminder - Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 0 29-03-2012 06:18 PM
Beechgrove Garden Jake United Kingdom 3 17-02-2012 06:05 PM
Beechgrove garden programme Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 2 07-09-2009 03:37 PM
For Padraig: different kinds of gardens & folliage - Commemorative 2 Cent Stamps, National Parks Centennial, Cape Hatteras National Seashore.jpg 232672 bytes HEMI-Powered @ [email protected] Garden Photos 0 11-05-2007 04:10 PM