Old 16-01-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bindweed

On 16/01/2013 08:58, Martin wrote:
Not to mention cattle munching it in fields
-- Martin

Can't remember which one but I seem to recall that sheep farmers made
life very difficult for the cattle men in America because the sheep
grazed the grass too low for it to regenerate or maybe cattle need
taller grass?

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 16-01-2013, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 11:06:37 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 16/01/2013 08:58, Martin wrote:
Not to mention cattle munching it in fields
-- Martin

Can't remember which one but I seem to recall that sheep farmers made
life very difficult for the cattle men in America because the sheep
grazed the grass too low for it to regenerate or maybe cattle need
taller grass?

From the film Oklahoma? :-)

Cows eat by wrapping the grass around their tongues and pulling. Sheep
make the grass too short to do that
--

Martin

I remember from school the order to put cattle/livestock on the land to
clear it. Cows as you say, sheep as you say, pigs to dig the roots out!!

Mike

Old 16-01-2013, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Can't remember which one but I seem to recall that sheep farmers made
life very difficult for the cattle men in America because the sheep
grazed the grass too low for it to regenerate or maybe cattle need
taller grass?

Sheep chomp grass low, like a lawnmower, cows wrap their tongues around
longer grass and pull it up in clumps. I don't know why I know this, but
someone taught me the difference a long long time ago, and it's stuck in
a strange mental image in my head.
(goats eat like sheep, iirc)

Old 16-01-2013, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Can't remember which one but I seem to recall that sheep farmers made
life very difficult for the cattle men in America because the sheep
grazed the grass too low for it to regenerate or maybe cattle need
taller grass?

Sheep chomp grass low, like a lawnmower, cows wrap their tongues around
longer grass and pull it up in clumps. I don't know why I know this, but
someone taught me the difference a long long time ago, and it's stuck in
a strange mental image in my head.
(goats eat like sheep, iirc)

Goats are primarily browsers, not grazers, but otherwise yes. Sheep
were used as lawnmowers for large areas of grass before mechanisation.
On suburban gardens, guinea pigs are pretty useful for that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-01-2013, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A point of contention in our house hold as the East Yorkshire pronunciation
is Bin-weed, and the rest of the family don't like it!

"Daz" wrote in message news

Hi,

Im Daz and Im new to the site, been gardening since I was 15, but im
mainly a plantsman first, and gardener second. ie I like to do the easy
pretty parts, and let someone else do the hard work.

Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

When I first moved to my house, the entire back garden was gravelled, so
no weeds, grass etc.

I had the gravel removed and planted up most of the garden, it is now
jam packed with plants, but im starting to have a problem with
bindweed.

I have a large border filled with Hemerocallis, Iris, Gunnera, Giant
Scabious and Acanthus, which bulges by mid summer, however it is being
taken over by bindweed, it is literally in every and around everything,
also starting to get buttercups popping up everywhere in some areas.

I start spraying systemic weedkiller onto the bindweed early in the
season, but it seems to have little effect, and by mid summer the plants
are covered in it, I can no longer spray at that time due to the amount
of plants I have.

I have chip barked the area deeply, but it makes no difference.

As plants will start coming into growth within the next few months, I
just wanted to know if there is a better way of ridding myself of this
weed, its driving me insane and is ruining my huge collection of day
lilies.

I was thinking of collecting my old newspapers, wetting this and
wrapping around the plants as they start to come into growth, then cover
the rest of the bare area in newspaper, then chip barking again, but
wonder if this will do any good?

Thanks for any advice.

Daz

--
Daz

Old 17-01-2013, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If there's is masses of it then a whole summer fallow and sprayed every 3/4
weeks. If just a few, stick a cane in and let them climb up then sponge them
in glyphosate.

Anyone who wants to go the organic way is really making life difficult for
themselves. I don't touch vegetables with chemicals, but wouldn't hesitate
in the flower border with bindweed and buttercups (and wickes - couchgrass)
..

"Daz" wrote in message news

[...]

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM