Old 14-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Daz Daz is offline
Registered User

Default Bindweed

Hi,

Im Daz and Im new to the site, been gardening since I was 15, but im mainly a plantsman first, and gardener second. ie I like to do the easy pretty parts, and let someone else do the hard work.

Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

When I first moved to my house, the entire back garden was gravelled, so no weeds, grass etc.

I had the gravel removed and planted up most of the garden, it is now jam packed with plants, but im starting to have a problem with bindweed.

I have a large border filled with Hemerocallis, Iris, Gunnera, Giant Scabious and Acanthus, which bulges by mid summer, however it is being taken over by bindweed, it is literally in every and around everything, also starting to get buttercups popping up everywhere in some areas.

I start spraying systemic weedkiller onto the bindweed early in the season, but it seems to have little effect, and by mid summer the plants are covered in it, I can no longer spray at that time due to the amount of plants I have.

I have chip barked the area deeply, but it makes no difference.

As plants will start coming into growth within the next few months, I just wanted to know if there is a better way of ridding myself of this weed, its driving me insane and is ruining my huge collection of day lilies.

I was thinking of collecting my old newspapers, wetting this and wrapping around the plants as they start to come into growth, then cover the rest of the bare area in newspaper, then chip barking again, but wonder if this will do any good?

Thanks for any advice.

Daz
Old 14-01-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Daz" wrote in message
news

[...]

Hi Daz,

You don.t say how big the area is, but with a little painstaking work you
can get rid of the bindweed - the buttercup you can simply weed out.
Get as many jam jars as you can and fill them with dilute Glyphosate
(Roundup). When the bindweed is about 6"tall, bundle the shoots
together and upend the bunches into the jars. Leave them there for
about a week, then move the jars on to the next patch. It's a bit
labourious but by the end of the summer the bindweed will be
gone.

Phil

Old 15-01-2013, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2013 22:50, Phil Gurr wrote:
When the bindweed is about 6"tall, bundle the shoots
together and upend the bunches into the jars. Leave them there for
about a week, then move the jars on to the next patch. It's a bit
labourious but by the end of the summer the bindweed will be
gone.

don't pull the plant out of the ground first like Someone I know, did
when i tried to tell them how to kill bindweed i went back to find
several jam jars with bindweed stems neatly coiled up in the jars

You can put them stems or as much as you can gather up, into a plastic
bag, spray the gylsophate inside the bag and then seal up the end and
lay back on the ground.
However I rather suspect you have bindweed now rampant amongst your
perennial plants so you will have to be careful not to tip the jars or
spray the plants whilst dealing with your bindweed!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 15-01-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:38:50 +0000, Daz
wrote:

Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

Steve

Old 15-01-2013, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Daz,

You don.t say how big the area is, but with a little painstaking work you
can get rid of the bindweed - the buttercup you can simply weed out.
Get as many jam jars as you can and fill them with dilute Glyphosate
(Roundup). When the bindweed is about 6"tall, bundle the shoots
together and upend the bunches into the jars. Leave them there for
about a week, then move the jars on to the next patch. It's a bit
labourious but by the end of the summer the bindweed will be
gone.

Phil

I think I might be worried that the jars would collect rainwater and
overflow on to other plants

Old 15-01-2013, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-15 10:52:59 +0000, stuart noble said:

Hi Daz,

You don.t say how big the area is, but with a little painstaking work you
can get rid of the bindweed - the buttercup you can simply weed out.
Get as many jam jars as you can and fill them with dilute Glyphosate
(Roundup). When the bindweed is about 6"tall, bundle the shoots
together and upend the bunches into the jars. Leave them there for
about a week, then move the jars on to the next patch. It's a bit
labourious but by the end of the summer the bindweed will be
gone.

Phil

I think I might be worried that the jars would collect rainwater and
overflow on to other plants

Use the poly bag trick if other plants are a worry in that particular
area. Tie the neck off with those twisty things, or a bit of garden
twine.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 15-01-2013, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

That's surprising. I've had it grow back after I've dug it out to
near a foot, the damned stuff! (it gets quite woody when you get
down deep, I've found)
Old 15-01-2013, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

I had a bit of a problem a few yrs back with some bindweed but defeated
it with glyphosate painted on neat wherever I could get at it safely.
You do have to be persistent and deal with it over a period. Sometimes
it popped up again, perhaps from seed left in the ground, so I stay
vigilant whenever I'm gardening in that patch. So far, so good...
One trick I learnt from URG: if the OP has it among plants and shrubs
where it's difficult to get at without harming them, is to push in canes
at an angle that stick out away from the plants. Wind the bindweed onto
the cane and let it grow up that for a while til it's clear of prize
plants - then hit with glyphosate and allow to die down to the root.
Repeat as long as necessary.

--
Sue

Old 15-01-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Jan 2013 13:42:20 GMT, wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

That's surprising. I've had it grow back after I've dug it out to
near a foot, the damned stuff! (it gets quite woody when you get
down deep, I've found)

After years of digging the roots up I gave up but then after another
few years of cutting the stuff it did seem like it just give up. It
could be deep underground planning an attack but it's not re grown for
about five years.

Steve

Old 15-01-2013, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/01/2013 14:54, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 15 Jan 2013 13:42:20 GMT, wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.
I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

That's surprising. I've had it grow back after I've dug it out to
near a foot, the damned stuff! (it gets quite woody when you get
down deep, I've found)

After years of digging the roots up I gave up but then after another
few years of cutting the stuff it did seem like it just give up. It
could be deep underground planning an attack but it's not re grown for
about five years.

You have to keep an ye out for seedlings too or it will re-establish.

I find a combined chemical and physical attack most effective. Trouble
is I have large reservoirs of the stuff in neighbouring field boundaries
(and also of ground elder which is much easier to zap)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 15-01-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/01/2013 17:38, Daz wrote:

[...]

I'd avoid the Jam jar method and the poly bag.
Mix a solution of Brushwood killer (SBK, with a touch of washing up
liquid added, literally 2 or 3 drips are enough. then with a rubber
glove on one hand with a woollen glove over it, wet the glove and run
your hand along the stems of bindweed, make sure that the Brushwood
killer isn't dripping off the glove.
Do this in the evening when the sun has gone down and there is no wind.
Make sure that the damp stems don't touch any other plants.

Old 15-01-2013, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Daz" wrote

[...]

I bought some Glyphosate as a jelly that was specially made for the
situation you are in. You paint it on and it sticks but you must not get it
on your prized plants. It certainly did the job on our allotment when we
took over this one.
If the infestation is too bad you may find you have to do what The Savill
Garden did and dig out everything and leave the border fallow for a season
so you can spray off the bindweed and kill it once and for all. Of course if
it's nextdoor it will just come back again under the fence unless they do
something too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-01-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 17:01:22 UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Daz" wrote

I bought some Glyphosate as a jelly that was specially made for the

situation you are in. You paint it on and it sticks but you must not get it

on your prized plants. It certainly did the job on our allotment when we

took over this one.

If the infestation is too bad you may find you have to do what The Savill

Garden did and dig out everything and leave the border fallow for a season

so you can spray off the bindweed and kill it once and for all. Of course if

it's nextdoor it will just come back again under the fence unless they do

something too.

--

In the end, with herbaceous the clean start a la Savill Garden is the only practical way. I did it several times at work in various gardens and I did it in our new garden here on the one existing border but it wasn't a great wrench because there was nothing worthwhile there anyway. I sprayed several times over the season and still had 'mopping up' to do by hand digging and the poly bag method for the following 2 summers. We just have to watch the boundary now.

Rod
Old 15-01-2013, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/01/2013 15:12, Janet wrote:
Any weed requires photosynthesis to sustain rootsystem survival; and
if you keep preventing photosynthesis (by ruthlessly destroying all new
growth) the roots eventually become too weak to sprout again, and die.
I've even killed an ancient dense plantation of japanese knotweed by
that method (it took a couple of years).

So how does grass grow back so well if we constantly cut it back so hard
in our lawns?

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 16-01-2013, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/01/2013 23:30, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 15/01/2013 15:12, Janet wrote:
Any weed requires photosynthesis to sustain rootsystem survival; and
if you keep preventing photosynthesis (by ruthlessly destroying all new
growth) the roots eventually become too weak to sprout again, and die.
I've even killed an ancient dense plantation of japanese knotweed by
that method (it took a couple of years).

A combination of chemical weapons and physical removal is the best bet
and glyphosate is the method of choice against pernicious weeds. The
bits you miss are less likely to regrow after a dose of glyphosate.

So how does grass grow back so well if we constantly cut it back so hard
in our lawns?

It doesn't if you completely scalp it often enough. Grass is designed to
be grazed by animals and has silica in its leaves to wear out their
teeth. It lacks more sophisticated chemical weapons and has evolved a
coping mechanism that involves being eaten since it cannot run away!

So long as you leave an inch or two the grass is still happy just keep
shorter and less able to flower. Left to its own devices it would reach
a certain height and then flower and set seed like all flowering plants.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bindweed problem Ellen Connell United Kingdom 14 06-08-2003 10:12 AM
Bindweed and nettles Andy Sanson United Kingdom 26 03-08-2003 07:13 PM
Newbie: Bindweed Wars Dr. HackenSack United Kingdom 10 17-06-2003 07:56 AM
bindweed barrier Jane Gardening 3 08-06-2003 01:44 PM
Bindweed SIgnots Gardening 16 29-05-2003 04:44 PM