Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Registered User

Default Buying a Greenhouse

I thought that 12 by 8 would be a good size for a
greenhouse,
I saw this on the net
Europa Manor Viscount 8x12 - Greenhouses Direct

thinking about it, might be a good idea to go for
the safety glass
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/azfzss6)

--
goldenmeadow

I suspect that like the rest of us what ever size you buy it will not be big
enough! They are easy to put up provided your base is level and square so do
spend some time on doing that.
Do go for the maximum ventilation you can as keeping it cool enough in
summer is as much of a problem as keeping the cold out in winter.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/03/2013 01:13, goldenmeadow wrote:
I thought that 12 by 8 would be a good size for a
greenhouse,
I saw this on the net
'Europa Manor Viscount 8x12 - Greenhouses Direct'
(http://tinyurl.com/azfzss6)

thinking about it, might be a good idea to go for
the safety glass

Have a look at these people
http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/greenhouses/
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

(
http://tinyurl.com/azfzss6)

thinking about it, might be a good idea to go for
the safety glass

If you have space and a deep enough pocket, go for the biggest size you
can possibly afford; you will never regret it.. as Charlie said, most
people end up regretting they didn't get a bigger one. a 12 X 10 allows
room for staging both sides and one end, with elbow space down the
middle.

I would go for the safety glass, the rainwater system (use to fill an
adjacent butt for GH watering), louvres and *at least* two roof vents
with automatic openers.. Green colour coating would be nice but is a
lower spending priority than size IMO

You can always improvise temporary staging for a few years then add
some better stuff later, when your wallet has recovered.

Don't be tempted to site the GH on the earth held down with pegs, its
a false economy. With high winds/climate change it's worth digging a
channel, fill with concrete and set bolt holes in it. Then you can bolt
the GH to an absolutely rigid "true" angled base that will never let it
distort/ shift in high wind.

In case you might one future day want to install power to the GH, lay a
couple of feet of flexible plastic pipe under the base now, as a future
conduit for wiring.

Janet

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 02/03/2013 01:13, goldenmeadow wrote:
I thought that 12 by 8 would be a good size for a
greenhouse,
I saw this on the net
'Europa Manor Viscount 8x12 - Greenhouses Direct'
(Europa Manor Viscount 8x12 - Greenhouses Direct)

thinking about it, might be a good idea to go for
the safety glass

Have a look at these people
Greenhouses - The Greenhouse People
I brought a Halls 12*8 Magnum a few years ago with 4 auto opening vents, the double doors are a must for ventilation and for moving stuff in and out.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User

thanks for the info and advice...

just seen this

Halls Magnum Green 8ft4 x 14ft6 - The Greenhouse People

wider than my original choice and 2 foot longer !
not too bad a price and .......... green..... without paying the 269 squid extra !
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/bgjhega)

wider than my original choice and 2 foot longer !
not too bad a price and .......... green..... without paying the 269
squid extra !

I got a Halls Magnum 14 x 8 (plain aluminium) about 3 months ago from he
http://www.southwestgreenhouses.co.u...um-magnum.html

I went for toughened glass, and had the company erect it. As it was on
a slight slope, I had a concrete and brick base built, and it was
fastened to that. I also had an armoured cable run out to it, and a
couple of waterproof 13-amp sockets fitted.

--

Jeff
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/azfzss6))

thinking about it, might be a good idea to go for
the safety glass

-
Have a look at these people
'Greenhouses - The Greenhouse People' (http://tinyurl.com/afwr3u6)

I brought a Halls 12*8 Magnum a few years ago with 4 auto opening vents,
the double doors are a must for ventilation and for moving stuff in and
out.

--
Granity

I agree, I have 4 of the Halls 14x8's Magnums here, ventilation and access
are great, as is the extra strength bars inside.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"goldenmeadow" wrote in message

thanks for the info and advice...

just seen this

'Halls Magnum Green 8ft4 x 14ft6 - The Greenhouse People'
(http://tinyurl.com/bgjhega)

wider than my original choice and 2 foot longer !
not too bad a price and .......... green..... without paying the 269
squid extra !

--
goldenmeadow

Good choice, I have 4 the oldest has been up 27 years, still good, excellent
ventilation and access