Old 22-03-2013, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very quiet today

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike
Old 22-03-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike

In the south we're splashing in the puddles. We went to the allotment on
Tuesday and it was like the somme. And a lot of rain has fallen on it since.

Steve

Old 22-03-2013, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote:

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Well, I shoveled snow from Dear Lady's side of the garage, since the plow
man can't easily get too close to the doors. But them, I'm in NEW York,
where such things are expected. Temperature here expected to barely reach
freezing today, but the attached greenhouse is nearly warm enough to open
the door into the house and get a few free BTUs.
Otherwise, just digging through the seed closet to see what got forgotten,
neglected, never threshed/screened/winnowed, etc.

Old 22-03-2013, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

I am teaching modern Fortran.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-03-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote...

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Vicious strong Easterly wind today and it's finally started to rain at 4pm,
been threatening all day. Mended three of the 5 non-working solar lights and
threw two in the dustbin. They put silly on/off switches on them that always
corrode/bust so I just wire/solder them out of the circuit. Does anyone know
of a solar garden light that lasts more than a season or two (even if you
have to change the rechargeable battery)?
Was going to wash and clean the car but that wind is not nice and Sue said
it was about to rain anyway, which it has. Was also going to replace the
hinges on my Landrover drivers door, having painted them, but that is a job
for more time and a better day.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 22-03-2013, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2013 13:54, Muddymike wrote:
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike

I've been looking through the T&M plant/seed catalogue (since I've got a
£5 voucher) and making a rough wish list. I'm sharing an order with a
friend, so we may qualify for one of their 'cheapies'.

I confess I'm a little wary after people on urg have had a moan about
them, but we'll see what happens. I'll report back.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-03-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/03/2013 14:07, shazzbat wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike

In the south we're splashing in the puddles. We went to the allotment on
Tuesday and it was like the somme. And a lot of rain has fallen on it since.

Steve

You mean you've got your trenches dug?
Old 22-03-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-22 13:54:28 +0000, Muddymike said:

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike

No gardening activity to report because it has been chucking it down
for 2 days and nights! Now we have fog creeping into the twilight so
does this mean that at some point in the next day or two we'll have
sunshine?! Pray & hope!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-03-2013, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , writes
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

I am teaching modern Fortran.

Sounds fascinating. Pray tell how different it is to the Fortran I
learned in 1977...

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

Old 22-03-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
usenet2012 wrote:

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

I am teaching modern Fortran.

Sounds fascinating. Pray tell how different it is to the Fortran I
learned in 1977...

Very different indeed, especially as you probably learnt Fortran 66.
If you are interested, the following pages link to the course and
another (lecture-only) one on converting older Fortrans to modern
Fortran:

http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/nmm1/Fortran/index.html
http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/nmm1/OldFortran/index.html

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2013, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:15:31 +0000, nmm1 wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

I am teaching modern Fortran.

That sounds like a contradiction in terms. Are you still using punched
cards?
Old 24-03-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Derek Turner wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

I am teaching modern Fortran.

That sounds like a contradiction in terms. Are you still using punched
cards?

Stay awake at the back there, or I shall rap your knuckles with
my ruler!

Amusingly, Fortran has moved on far more than many other, newer
languages and is in many ways more advanced and more modern than
(say) C++ (which I also teach). I posted a link to my courses.
But it is highly amusing teaching the kiddies and telling them
that I am a mere youngster, having used it only since 1969, by
which time it had been around for 15 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike[_2_] View Post
Is the NG down or are you all out busily shovelling snow.

Mike
Snow, Rain, Mud??? You folkes should come to live in sub-tropical Cheshire! No snow, rain or mud for weeks. We do have the cold easterly winds, a bit of frost for an hour or so in the early morning but not the other rubbish.