Old 30-03-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who has got what veg. in.

Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Baz
Old 30-03-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2013 16:56, Baz wrote:
Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Baz

Nowt here, still waiting for the snow to go!
Old 30-03-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:56:36 GMT, Baz wrote:

Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Baz

First earlies in bins in the greenhouse (Maris Bard), now showing.

Various flavours of Tomato (including Ferline F1 which look quite
strong and Roma which have grown like weeds) on just about every
windowsill that I can get away with and on some that I can't.

Aubergines germinated, Okra germinated (after only two days), various
Chillis up, again on windowsills but suffering through lack of light I
guess.

Cabbages up indoors and being hardened off in the porch.

Peas in under tunnel cloches and a small number of seedlings
propagated inside are now out.

Broad beans in but no signs yet.

Haven't looked at the carrots (again under cloches) for a week or so.

Some Spring Cabbages that I planted from seedlings last year are
making a comeback after getting a severe beaking. They are now under
some home grown crop cages made from cloche hoops and wire mesh. Keeps
the cats and the foxes off too.

Rhubarb (Timperley Early) showed but got frosted to hell and back.

The proposed outdoor potato patch for this year is still a bit like
Paschendale. Must redeploy a roll-out path so that I can get on to
the soil and extract the Bluebells that escaped my depredations last
season.

I have a single row of Garlic that I put in under cloches during the
nice spell we had a few weeks ago. All appear to have survived.

All but one of my Acer Japonicas appear to have survived.

'Er indoors has sown some stuff in her side of the garden, probably
too early but we'll see.

Four Apple seedlings (from pips of uncertain parentage) have made it
through the winter and are content in the greenhouse.

Regards
JonH
Old 30-03-2013, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Did intend to plant the early potatoes, shallots and some onion sets but the
ground is still too cold so I'll hold off for now. Got my peas in guttering
but they have been in there over three weeks and nothing showing, it's just
too cold. Got onion seedlings coming on in the greenhouse.
Everything else will have to wait.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-03-2013, 12:45 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.
Tomato seedlings in the bathroom.

Garden still largely covered by snow and ponds by ice.
__________________
Old 31-03-2013, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message ...

Tomato seedlings in the bathroom.

Garden still largely covered by snow and ponds by ice.

--
kay

Yup, my Alicante have popped up to check out the world
in my new enclosed front porchway. Still sub-zero in the glasshouse
every night but some overwintered leeks are doing just fine in there.

Pete
Old 31-03-2013, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2013 16:56, Baz wrote:
Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Baz

My potatoes are chitted, but it's still far too frosty overnight to risk
planting them. I don't have a greenhouse, so I can't get ahead of the
season in that way. I'll just have to sit it out.

Haven't even dug over our excuse for a veg patch due to injury last year
and grim weather ever since. I was going to start off some tomatoes,
but simply haven't got room. Maybe I'll take a chance with some runner
beans if the weather improves.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 31-03-2013, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

"Baz" wrote

Easter is here and we are still freezing our najers off.
Nowt to speak of in the greenhouse either.(seed wise)
Good Friday is the time to sow/plant potatoes they say.
I am beginning to lose confidence now, this second year without.

Did intend to plant the early potatoes, shallots and some onion sets but
the ground is still too cold so I'll hold off for now. Got my peas in
guttering but they have been in there over three weeks and nothing showing,
it's just too cold. Got onion seedlings coming on in the greenhouse.
Everything else will have to wait.

Tested the temperature of the soil on the allotment today, even in the
sunshine the temperature about 2 inches down was under 40°F so no point
planting anything.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger Tonkin wrote:
Nothing in the ground here this year. Got garlic
planted last Oct/Nov and purple sprouting is manfully
trying to sprout.

I have a white sprouting broccoli in the greenhouse that is
starting to sprout away very well.

Window sills are full of tomatoes, courgettes, butternut + sweetcorn,
plus a few aubergines are making an effort (but won't get anywhere,
they never do)

Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Oh good! I thought I was being foolish having purple sprouting in the greenhouse (but I had the space, and it seemed the best defence against pigeons)
__________________
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Oh good! I thought I was being foolish having purple sprouting in the greenhouse (but I had the space, and it seemed the best defence against pigeons)
I'm seriously considering trying some runner beans in the greenhouse this year, put the containers on the bottom of the staging and removing the top trays. Bit of well rotted manure forked into the containers and regular feeding works well outdoors so it should be ok in the greenhouse.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sown tomatoes, pomadora, orange paruche and usual stuff, all growing far
too quick indoors but cold greenhouse living up to its name!!

germinated sugar snap peas but so cold have given them to brother who
has allotment in Shoreham, even there it's parky.

Lovely sun from behind a window, outside bitter wind........

Amazingly mixed salvia seeds and also exochorda and chicoriuym came up
quite quickly and considering putting them in greenhouse on top of sand
with heated coil thing.

Ground too cold to dig really and don't need much encouragement to down
tools and go inside!!
Still got 324 packets of seeds to sow (OK I did go made with ordering
and also with RHS and AGA seed order)

Potatoes really need putting out but not sure..............

What's the month ahead weather forecast? says 9 in my car but it feel
like -2

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2013 12:15, Granity wrote:

kay;980066 Wrote:
Oh good! I thought I was being foolish having purple sprouting in the
greenhouse (but I had the space, and it seemed the best defence against
pigeons)

I'm seriously considering trying some runner beans in the greenhouse
this year, put the containers on the bottom of the staging and removing
the top trays. Bit of well rotted manure forked into the containers and
regular feeding works well outdoors so it should be ok in the
greenhouse.

You would do better growing climbing French beans inside, they will crop
2 to 3 weeks earlier than runners and being string-less will not go
stringy, also you wont have the pollination problems.
But watch out for red spider.