Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening Gauntlets?

Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/5/2013 9:14 AM, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

I ordered some from a Canadian place - Lee Valley Tools. They look a bit
like what a vet might use...but they work very well.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page.aspx?p=62005&cat=2,42407,33246&ap=1
They're much more flexible than the leather gauntlets I've used.

Lee Valley also have a good line of lightweight midge-proof jackets,
hoods, and trousers.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 14:46, S Viemeister wrote:
On 4/5/2013 9:14 AM, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

I ordered some from a Canadian place - Lee Valley Tools. They look a bit
like what a vet might use...but they work very well.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/page.aspx?p=62005&cat=2,42407,33246&ap=1

They're much more flexible than the leather gauntlets I've used.

Lee Valley also have a good line of lightweight midge-proof jackets,
hoods, and trousers.

They seem just what I am looking for, the only problem being that I am
in the UK.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/p...t=2,42407,3324
6&ap=1

They're much more flexible than the leather gauntlets I've used.

Lee Valley also have a good line of lightweight midge-proof jackets,
hoods, and trousers.

They seem just what I am looking for, the only problem being that I am
in the UK.

You can get gloves similar to S Viemeister's url from your local builders
merchant. The police and local government use them to tidy up after drug
users have left needles all over the place.
I don't know how much they cost, but my guess would be less than £5.

Hope that helps.
Baz
Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 15:21:43 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

[...]

You can get similar from builders merchants.

Steve

Old 05-04-2013, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The ones in question are available from a UK site:

www.atlasgloveshop.co.uk/
--
Phil Cook
Old 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 14:14, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

There are a number of products available. You could use gauntlets or
you could try forearm protectors with your regular gloves. I have given
links below which may be helpful. If they're not, google on 'forearm
protectors gardening', which may give you some good options.

It does seem that if you want really tough protection, you have to
forego dexterity, so you may have to compromise. It seems to me that
forearm protectors that give you continued use even after your regular
gloves have been consigned to the bin and replaced, are more practical.

http://www.briersltd.co.uk/gardening...ain-glove.html

http://www.wikkieslegprotection.com/...FcHHtAodu3QAOA

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co...et-gloves.html

Hope the links work for you. Good luck.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/5/2013 10:21 AM, Broadback wrote:
[...]

They'll ship internationally.
Pity you're not near me - I could carry them for you on my next trip!
Old 05-04-2013, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/5/2013 11:29 AM, Phil Cook wrote:

The ones in question are available from a UK site:

www.atlasgloveshop.co.uk/

Thank you! I'll remember that for when mine need replacing.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 14:14, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

I found welding gloves really good and you can pick anyhting up without
any fear of being scratched. Also good for stuffing stuff into the
shredder as it guards against sticks whipping round onto my arms.

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2013 18:04, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 05/04/2013 14:14, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

I found welding gloves really good and you can pick anyhting up without
any fear of being scratched. Also good for stuffing stuff into the
shredder as it guards against sticks whipping round onto my arms.

I'll second that.
The leather welding gloves are good, and the mice don't like them as
much as the rubberised gloves.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

Broadback wrote in
:

[...]

google for drain gloves (used by plumbers) and pond gloves
Janet

Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

Broadback wrote in
:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/p...&cat=2,42407,3
324 6&ap=1

They're much more flexible than the leather gauntlets I've used.

Lee Valley also have a good line of lightweight midge-proof
jackets, hoods, and trousers.
They seem just what I am looking for, the only problem being that I
am in the UK.

You can get gloves similar to S Viemeister's url from your local
builders merchant. The police and local government use them to tidy
up after drug users have left needles all over the place.
I don't know how much they cost, but my guess would be less than £5.

google for drain gloves (used by plumbers) and pond gloves
Janet

Don't have to google. I know where to get them. Erm, from builders
merchants. As I already said!

Baz
Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.
Ridiculously expensive, but the RHS shops sell very soft-gloved gauntlets.
__________________
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message ...

On 05/04/2013 14:14, Broadback wrote:
Is there any such beast around? As I am getting old my skin has thinned,
when I prune, roses especially, I am liable to rip the skin. No pain,
but as I am also on warfarin the blood gets everywhere. A Pair of
gauntlets that reach up over my forearms would be great, anywhere I can
get them? Most gauntlets have very stiff gloves, which makes them pretty
poor for gardening.

I found welding gloves really good and you can pick anyhting up without any
fear of being scratched. Also good for stuffing stuff into the shredder as
it guards against sticks whipping round onto my arms.

+1.

I always wear my welding gauntlets when dealing with prickly things in the
garden.

Mike