Old 15-04-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Beech Hedge

On 09/04/2013 18:43, Spider wrote:
On 09/04/2013 00:42, Let It Be wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

A neighbour and friend of mine is about to plant a copper beech
hedge. One section of hedge will be on their boundary between their
own suburban garden and the next. Another section will be between
their drive and front steps *and within 6ft of the house frontage*.
I confess this rang alarm bells with me.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there a real risk to their home
once this hedge is established? I would really appreciate any help
with this, not least because the *copper* beeches mark a copper
wedding anniversary and I don't want to spoil their romantic joy in
planting this hedge.

The main risk is if the house has some extremely dubious drains
or foundations, or they let it get completely out of hand.
I wouldn't worry about a hedge like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you, Nick, that is reassuring. I will tell them, with
appropriate warnings of dire consequences should they lapse with
their trimming regime. On London Clay and with a postcode that makes
insurance companies nervous, there are always concerns about
foundations and drains. However, they are sensible people and will,
I am sure, keep both panic and hedge under control.
Thanks again.

Be aware that if the hedges grow too big and sucks up enough water out of
the clay, then that could cause subsidence - or if after many years, they
decide to cut them back, then that could cause ground-heave. Both
situations are enough to give insurance companies large fits.

Probably not worth worrying about with small hedges, but the effects
could
make themselves very plain if those hedges are neglected and left to
grow to
a rather graceful and pleasing size.

These were the thoughts, along with root problems, that set me worrying
in the first place. I am hopeful that the owners, having been
forewarned, will keep the hedge under control. I live within view of
their front garden, so I will be in a position to give them a kindly
nudge if I see cause for concern ... at least in my lifetime.
Thanks for your comments.

To everyone who replied so helpfully to this thread, I send warmest
thanks. In the event, I was too ill in bed to talk to my neighbours but
they managed to find the thread on urg all by themselves and were able
to see your replies. They are thrilled and are busily planting their
hedging. So thank you, dear urglers.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London