Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Beech Hedge

A neighbour and friend of mine is about to plant a copper beech hedge.
One section of hedge will be on their boundary between their own
suburban garden and the next. Another section will be between their
drive and front steps *and within 6ft of the house frontage*. I confess
this rang alarm bells with me.

I know this is going to be a trimmed hedge, and that controlling the top
growth has considerable bearing on the growth and spread of the root
system(s), but I am nevertheless concerned that there may be eventual
damage to the drains and house foundations.

The hedge nearest the house will probably be kept somewhere between 2ft
and 3ft high to conform with an existing hedge. The other hedge on the
shared boundary may be a little higher, but this has not been fixed.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there a real risk to their home once
this hedge is established? I would really appreciate any help with
this, not least because the *copper* beeches mark a copper wedding
anniversary and I don't want to spoil their romantic joy in planting
this hedge.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 08-04-2013, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

A neighbour and friend of mine is about to plant a copper beech hedge.
One section of hedge will be on their boundary between their own
suburban garden and the next. Another section will be between their
drive and front steps *and within 6ft of the house frontage*. I confess
this rang alarm bells with me.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there a real risk to their home once
this hedge is established? I would really appreciate any help with
this, not least because the *copper* beeches mark a copper wedding
anniversary and I don't want to spoil their romantic joy in planting
this hedge.

The main risk is if the house has some extremely dubious drains
or foundations, or they let it get completely out of hand.
I wouldn't worry about a hedge like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

A neighbour and friend of mine is about to plant a copper beech hedge.
One section of hedge will be on their boundary between their own
suburban garden and the next. Another section will be between their
drive and front steps *and within 6ft of the house frontage*. I confess
this rang alarm bells with me.

Am I worrying unnecessarily, or is there a real risk to their home once
this hedge is established? I would really appreciate any help with
this, not least because the *copper* beeches mark a copper wedding
anniversary and I don't want to spoil their romantic joy in planting
this hedge.

The main risk is if the house has some extremely dubious drains
or foundations, or they let it get completely out of hand.
I wouldn't worry about a hedge like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thank you, Nick, that is reassuring. I will tell them, with appropriate
warnings of dire consequences should they lapse with their trimming
regime. On London Clay and with a postcode that makes insurance
companies nervous, there are always concerns about foundations and
drains. However, they are sensible people and will, I am sure, keep
both panic and hedge under control.
Thanks again.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Thank you, Nick, that is reassuring. I will tell them, with appropriate
warnings of dire consequences should they lapse with their trimming
regime. On London Clay and with a postcode that makes insurance
companies nervous, there are always concerns about foundations and
drains. However, they are sensible people and will, I am sure, keep
both panic and hedge under control.

No problem. But don't panic them - when I said completely out of
hand, I did mean 10' or more! I am no expert, but doubt that beech
will send its roots deep on clay.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Be aware that if the hedges grow too big and sucks up enough water out of
the clay, then that could cause subsidence - or if after many years, they
decide to cut them back, then that could cause ground-heave. Both
situations are enough to give insurance companies large fits.

Probably not worth worrying about with small hedges, but the effects could
make themselves very plain if those hedges are neglected and left to grow to
a rather graceful and pleasing size.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Be View Post

Be aware that if the hedges grow too big and sucks up enough water out of
the clay, then that could cause subsidence - or if after many years, they
decide to cut them back, then that could cause ground-heave. Both
situations are enough to give insurance companies large fits.

Probably not worth worrying about with small hedges, but the effects could
make themselves very plain if those hedges are neglected and left to grow to
a rather graceful and pleasing size.
For what it's worth, we have a copper beech about 10 ft from our house. Every few years I ask the church to trim a few branches before they start knocking our roof slates off. Neither surveyors nor insurance assessors have batted an eyelid. But then I think we're on "non-shrinkable clay", our foundations are a good 10 ft below the ground surface where the beech is, and removing a tree of that size will arguably give more problems than leaving it be.
__________________
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid says...

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Pretty unlikely to happen, given that the hedge is 6ft from the front
windows and front steps to the front door..

Janet

Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:
In article , lid says...

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

As long as the bushes stay small I agree, but as you know, the roots from
larger trees will spread far more than 6 feet.

Just out of interest, as I type this, I'm looking at a neighbours 40 odd
foot tall birch tree some30 feet away from my property - and its roots are
touching the wall of my house (having about a foot down under slabs of the
full garden length patio.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 00:42:20 +0100, "Let It Be"
wrote:

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Mature beech trees planted a foot apart? :-)

You don't plant them as mature trees - do you? vbg And if neglected,
nearly all in the hedge will die - but it's the odd survivor that will cause
the problems - hence my statement immediately above your post. ;-)

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Let It Be wrote:
Janet wrote:
In article , lid says...

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

Correction

This:

"and its roots are touching the wall of my house (having about a foot down
under slabs of the full garden length patio".

Should have read:

"and its roots are touching the wall of my house (having TRAVELLED about a
foot down under THE slabs of the full garden length patio."

Ah well, sods law again.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2013 00:42, Let It Be wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

These were the thoughts, along with root problems, that set me worrying
in the first place. I am hopeful that the owners, having been
forewarned, will keep the hedge under control. I live within view of
their front garden, so I will be in a position to give them a kindly
nudge if I see cause for concern ... at least in my lifetime.
Thanks for your comments.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2013 10:23, kay wrote:

Let It Be;980496 Wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Kay. One of my friends' hedges is closer than that, but will be
kept as a fairly low hedge, so perhaps that one will be relatively safe.
The main hedge is between two houses (in places about 10ft from bricks
and mortar) and it may be allowed to grow taller than the first, though
I'd be surprised if they even let it reach 6ft. However, we are on
decidedly shrinkable clay here, which is why I was concerned.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2013 10:29, Janet wrote:
In , lid says...

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

"Unlikely" is good, Janet. We can take all the "unlikely" you've
got:~). Provided they keep on top of hedge trimming in future years
(the plants are merely sticks atm), then I think there will be a happy
ending. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/04/2013 17:59, Let It Be wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 00:42:20 +0100, "Let It Be"
wrote:

Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2013 14:47, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

I thought that mature trees a foot apart were called a fence..