Old 16-04-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some Firsts

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 16/04/2013 10:18, Jake wrote:

Then again, I suppose with a bit of time and minimal effort I could
follow Bob Flowerdew's advice and pollinate my fruit trees with an old
paintbrush.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

Paint brush?
That's what rabbits tails were invented for.

My father used to do that on his GH peachtree. I had my own rabbit-
tail on a stick and did the lower ones I could reach.

Janet.

Old 16-04-2013, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-16 10:18:29 +0100, Jake said:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:11:17 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I don't understand this. What does it mean the hive only lasts for one
year? The hive or the colony? It definitely does not appeal! Why not
do it on a more permanent basis with a hive plus colony that will last
for as long as nothing awful happens to either?! I'm afraid that this
sounds like something preying on peoples' fears of non-pollination and
I would never be attracted to it.

There's some info at
http://www.dragonfli.co.uk/bees/beepol-garden-hive

This is so-called hive containing a colony of bumblebees. I do not
have the distance from neighbours to risk keeping honey bees.
Bumblebees are less aggressive of course and numbers are going to be
lower.

The colony will only last for one year tops. As the plastic hive is
non-refillable that will only last for one year. Then there's the
structure to keep the hive in which brings the cost up to the total I
quoted. They call that a "lodge".

Then again, I suppose with a bit of time and minimal effort I could
follow Bob Flowerdew's advice and pollinate my fruit trees with an old
paintbrush.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!

It sounds an expensive way of going about it. I'm not at all convinced!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-04-2013, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
We had a bumbley bumbling about in the greenhouse yesterday.

yesterday afternoon there was not only a bumbling bumble bee but also
a clouded yellow butterfly fluttered by our garden.
There is no sign of midges or mosquitoes yet.

I saw a red admiral sitting in the garden at hte weekend.