Old 13-04-2013, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Monty Don & Gardners World 12 April

So, there we are, watching Monty Don for once not at Longmeadows, thank goodness, with the promise of
some information in the programme on orchids. Just what SWMBO is looking for.

Monty Don: "The most popular type of orchid is Phalaeonopsis".

Us: "Great. This is going to be good".

Monty Don: "So we're going to show you how to pot on..."

Us: "Yes? Yes?"

Monty Don: "...a Cimbidium".

Us: groanreaches for the fire water

--
Terry Fields
Old 13-04-2013, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Fields" wrote in message ...

So, there we are, watching Monty Don for once not at Longmeadows, thank
goodness, with the promise of
some information in the programme on orchids. Just what SWMBO is looking
for.

Monty Don: "The most popular type of orchid is Phalaeonopsis".

Us: "Great. This is going to be good".

Monty Don: "So we're going to show you how to pot on..."

Us: "Yes? Yes?"

Monty Don: "...a Cimbidium".

Us: groanreaches for the fire water

--
Terry Fields

.................................................. ................................

Would you have posted here if everything was to your satisfaction? Or are
you like the rest of the plebs, only post your complaints?

Mike
..

Old 13-04-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:28:33 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

So, there we are, watching Monty Don for once not at Longmeadows, thank
goodness, with the promise of some information in the programme on
orchids. Just what SWMBO is looking for.

Monty Don: "The most popular type of orchid is Phalaeonopsis".

Us: "Great. This is going to be good".

Monty Don: "So we're going to show you how to pot on..."

Us: "Yes? Yes?"

Monty Don: "...a Cimbidium".

Us: groanreaches for the fire water

--
Terry Fields

.................................................. ...............................

Would you have posted here if everything was to your satisfaction? Or
are you like the rest of the plebs, only post your complaints?

Mike .

Your sig separator is broken, meaning that your reply was stripped as it appeared to be part of a sig file; not an
unexpected occurrence for Microsoft Usenet products. There may be a fix for it, including using dedicated
software from other providers.

This apart, Don raised expectations regarding phalaeonopsis, then dashed them.

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of location. One can only take so much interest in a
soggy, bare, vegetable plot.

--
Terry Fields
Old 13-04-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 17:28, 'Mike' wrote:
Would you have posted here if everything was to your satisfaction? Or
are you like the rest of the plebs, only post your complaints?

wasn't a complaint as far as I could see, merely an observation and we
have all posted on here praise for the ORIGINAL Beechgrove.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-04-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Terry Fields wrote in
:

Your sig separator is broken, meaning that your reply was stripped as
it appeared to be part of a sig file; not an unexpected occurrence for
Microsoft Usenet products. There may be a fix for it, including using
dedicated software from other providers.

This apart, Don raised expectations regarding phalaeonopsis, then
dashed them.

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of
location. One can only take so much interest in a soggy, bare,
vegetable plot.

My word! You like yourself, don't you.

Baz

Old 13-04-2013, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:28:38 +0000, Baz wrote:

Terry Fields wrote in
:

Your sig separator is broken, meaning that your reply was stripped as
it appeared to be part of a sig file; not an unexpected occurrence for
Microsoft Usenet products. There may be a fix for it, including using
dedicated software from other providers.

This apart, Don raised expectations regarding phalaeonopsis, then
dashed them.

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of
location. One can only take so much interest in a soggy, bare,
vegetable plot.

My word! You like yourself, don't you.

Baz

Mike clearly does (like himself), throwing accusations of plebianism about in the manner that he did. And with
broken software too!

--
Terry Fields
Old 13-04-2013, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:28:33 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

..

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of location.
One can only take so much interest in a
soggy, bare, vegetable plot.

Well, that's what I'm faced with every day at the moment. Some of us live in
a world without Latin.
--
Pete C

Old 13-04-2013, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-13 17:48:23 +0100, Terry Fields said:

[...]

I think we must be also be aware that MD doesn't direct the programmes,
the camera angles, or the scripting. I can find some things to
complain about but to be absolutely fair, the structure of a programme
is NOT his responsibility. On Twitter, just today, I have asked him to
see if he can persuade directors to put the names of plants onscreen
because I found it very frustrating not to see that last night. His
replies are courteous and indicate this is not within his power! Like
all of all those who front programmes that exasperate us at times, he
isn't actually the backstop but equally, like all those others, the
face on the screen gets a hard time of it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-04-2013, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of
location. One can only take so much interest in a
soggy, bare, vegetable plot.

Well, that's what I'm faced with every day at the moment. Some of us
live in a world without Latin.

Ah. Not terra firma then, Pete? Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-) Awful,
wet, grey, horrible day here, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-04-2013, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-13 18:47:17 +0100, Pete C said:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:28:33 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

.

In case you missed it, I did express gratitude at the change of
location. One can only take so much interest in a
soggy, bare, vegetable plot.

Well, that's what I'm faced with every day at the moment. Some of us
live in a world without Latin.

Ah. Not terra firma then, Pete? Sorry, couldn't resist! ;-) Awful,
wet, grey, horrible day here, too.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, I doubt they had many orchids of
any variety ready for re-potting.
My comment would be....
"Why were all the back bulbs left on the plant when it was re-potted?
A couple could have been removed, put into a poly bag with some compost
and left till they throw new growth, something they won't do left on the
clump.
And as for talking about Gardeners world 12th April, for us in Wales it
was Gardeners World 13the April
David @ the now dampening end of Swansea Bay Aqua impura?

Old 13-04-2013, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-13 18:47:17 +0100, Pete C said:

[...]

That's exactly what we asked ourselves, David! Anyone got an answer?
There was all that helpful instruction about giving the young bulbs
room to expand but no explanation for leaving on the old ones.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 13-04-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:40:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I think we must be also be aware that MD doesn't direct the programmes,
the camera angles, or the scripting. I can find some things to
complain about but to be absolutely fair, the structure of a programme
is NOT his responsibility. On Twitter, just today, I have asked him to
see if he can persuade directors to put the names of plants onscreen
because I found it very frustrating not to see that last night. His
replies are courteous and indicate this is not within his power! Like
all of all those who front programmes that exasperate us at times, he
isn't actually the backstop but equally, like all those others, the
face on the screen gets a hard time of it.

This does add weight to the suggestions that Toby Buckland et al were
the scapegoats for the failed revamp of GW prior to Monty's return.

Conversely I suspect that MD has a bit more influence over things than
Sacha's post suggests. Take, for example, his clear statement in the
last series that squishing lily beetle was the ONLY way to dispose of
them. His adherence to the tenets of the Soil Association means that
an opportunity to educate about the proper use of pesticides has been
lost. (FWIW Provado Ultimate Bug Killer, which is a "chemical"
response to lily beetle, uses a "new generation" neonicotinoid which
is not on the EU's hit list and has not been withdrawn from sale by
the main chains, but is nevertheless lethal to bees if not used
properly.) To say that squishing is the only way was, de facto, a lie.
He sustained that approach in print and it must therefore follow that
his arguments - which were not truthful - prevailed over an editorial
team responsible for a supposedly factual TV programme.

Hence I no longer watch GW and will not until someone announces that
MD is no longer presenting it and we no longer have to endure little
more than a tweak round the edges at his place and only then in the
way that he gardens.

Geoff Hamilton introduced me to coir instead of peat years ago by
explaining. MD simply put me off organic gardening by pontificating. I
will be eternally grateful that my formative gardening years were
not, in any way, influenced by MD!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay where the
showers of April have arrived!
Old 14-04-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:38:55 +0100, Jake wrote:

Conversely I suspect that MD has a bit more influence over things than
Sacha's post suggests.

snip cogent points

I suggest that MD might be playing some sort of game here, although it isn't clear what the agenda might be.

He could easily have said to the expert "Yes, we leave the old bulbs in place because of X". I doubt that things
are that tightly scripted he couldn't have done that. AFAIWC it was an opportunity lost, orchids don't get much of
a mention in comparison to sweet peas or brassicas, yet they are reasonably popular house plants.

Hence I no longer watch GW and will not until someone announces that MD
is no longer presenting it and we no longer have to endure little more
than a tweak round the edges at his place and only then in the way that
he gardens.

I sense a change in the programme's approach, and getting away from Longmeadows was a welcome change,
but I have to say we watch GW more in hope than expectation.

Geoff Hamilton introduced me to coir instead of peat years ago by
explaining. MD simply put me off organic gardening by pontificating. I
will be eternally grateful that my formative gardening years were not,
in any way, influenced by MD!

Perhaps MD falls between the two stools of the 'old time' gardeners and the modern approach.

--
Terry Fields
Old 14-04-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:17:48 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 22:38:55 +0100, Jake wrote:

Conversely I suspect that MD has a bit more influence over things
than Sacha's post suggests.

snip cogent points

I suggest that MD might be playing some sort of game here, although it
isn't clear what the agenda might be.

He could easily have said to the expert "Yes, we leave the old bulbs in
place because of X". I doubt that things are that tightly scripted he
couldn't have done that.

You miss the point.GW is not live to air. You're watching a recorded,
edited, shorter version of film and sound track which took many hours
and repetitions to film and record on several different cameras.

It's entirely possible, his script did say that and so did he, on film
or on the sound recording. Then it was edited out, when all the
material filmed was selected, edited, and re-organised to fit into 40
minutes.
Janet.

Well, if the editor isn't a gardener, or takes advice on the editing from someone who is, then it's inevitable that
the gems are sometimes going to fall by the wayside leaving us with not enough information to make the clip
worth showing in the first place. And that leads to a poor programme and people turning away from it. We could
have learned twice as much about Cimbidiums for the want of a short sentence.

--
Terry Fields

Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty Derek[_6_] United Kingdom 116 18-12-2010 09:51 AM
Monty Don Weedeater United Kingdom 12 09-09-2004 09:22 AM
EARTHSHIP SAILS IN VALENCIA, SPAIN APRIL 2004 EARTHSHIP SAILS IN VALENCIA, SPAIN APRIL 2004 Earthship Biotecture Permaculture 0 06-02-2004 09:07 PM
Monty Don and his spade DLee United Kingdom 29 07-10-2003 04:32 PM
Monty Don JennyC United Kingdom 15 15-07-2003 02:44 PM