Old 25-04-2013, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More EC Tomfoolery

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 25-04-2013, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-25 12:24:38 +0100, Martin said:

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:36:29 +0100, Jake
wrote:

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

"If passed it would mean no seed can be sold or even given for free to
anyone anywhere in the EU unless it is registered on the EU Plant List
as an ‘approved’ variety. This would effectively outlaw Heritage seeds
in the EU."

Nothing has changed in this respect.

Daft? it is a rationalisation of existing EU directives
http://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/plant...s_paper_en.pdf

"4. Approach to conservation varieties/niche markets
This approach is not changed. Specific provisions continue to apply
for conservation varieties and landraces of agricultural crops, for
vegetable varieties, mixtures of fodder plant seed and for forest
reproductive material intended for gene conservation purposes."

Ornamental plants are excluded.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is tried up with Monsanto's ambitions.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-04-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

Wish I knew what this is about. All I get is 'bandwidth exceeded'
--
Pete C

Old 25-04-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Jake" wrote in message
Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

Wish I knew what this is about. All I get is 'bandwidth exceeded'

"due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit". !

Janet

Old 25-04-2013, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

Have a look at:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see
that, if not actually disgruntled he was far from being gruntled.

Old 25-04-2013, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 18:47:55 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Jake wrote:

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/
Have a look at:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

This does seem to be another somewhat OTT article. Whilst I have not
seen the draft regulation, from the useful europa link provided above
by Martin it does appear to be a tidying up of the existing 12 Council
Directives covering, in the main, commercial crops. From the wording
it is aimed at commercial seed production, agriculture, commercial
horticulture and forestry and, probably most importantly for the EU,
the reduction of member states administrative burden.

I have had a quick trawl round the main eur legislation sites but no
sign of a draft of the regulation. In the event that anyone is
particularly interested in the probable impact of this and is able to
locate a draft let me know and I will put my pre-retirement hat on and
see if there is anything for non-commercial gardeners to be aware of,
other than a potential increase in seed prices.
--
rbel
Old 25-04-2013, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

James) wrote:

Jake wrote:

[...]

This seems to be a draft:
http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/PDF/...e_material.pdf

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 25-04-2013, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds is
also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested and
receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be too much
for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-04-2013, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds
is also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested and
receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be too
much for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.

Bob, surely it is time that we followed the very excellent example
of the French - and ignored every one of the EC directives. As far
as I can tell, it's only ourselves and the Germans that pay any
heed to these directives. Who is going to police them anyway?

Phil

Old 26-04-2013, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds
is also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested
and receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be
too much for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.

Bob, surely it is time that we followed the very excellent example
of the French - and ignored every one of the EC directives. As far
as I can tell, it's only ourselves and the Germans that pay any
heed to these directives. Who is going to police them anyway?

I've said that for years, seems we have too many jobsworths here so that
laws that are designed to protect us eventually end up causing us grief
because they look at the law as written instead of the spirit of the law as
meant. I think in France they look at the spirit of the laws and directives
more and then ignore them if it means a change in their culture. When have
you ever been to a Restaurant in France ordered the cheese and it's turned
up cold as here, the French would refuse to eat it.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-04-2013, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:45:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds is
also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested and
receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be too much
for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.

There's nothing to stop you buying barley straw for other purposes and
using it as you want.

It would be nice if people quoted the directive when posting things
like this.

or at least, the name of the Daily Mail journalist.

Janet
Old 26-04-2013, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:41:35 +0100, Jake
wrote:

I have had a quick trawl round the main eur legislation sites but no
sign of a draft of the regulation. In the event that anyone is
particularly interested in the probable impact of this and is able to
locate a draft let me know and I will put my pre-retirement hat on and
see if there is anything for non-commercial gardeners to be aware of,
other than a potential increase in seed prices.

This seems to be a draft:
http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/PDF/...e_material.pdf

From a quick read of the draft regulation there would seem to be
little to concern gardeners other than potential 'knock-on' of the
implications for suppliers. The constraints apply to 'operators'
defined as 'any natural or legal person carrying out professionally at
least one of the following activities with regard to plant
reproductive material: reproducing, producing, breeding, maintaining,
providing services, preserving, including storing, and placing on the
market'.

Article 2 states 'This Regulation shall not apply to plant
reproductive material... (d) exchanged in kind between persons other
than operators.

For 'operators' there is a detailed series of constraints relating to
the species listed in Annex I of the draft (see Jake's link above). It
appears to me as a someone with limited knowledge of garden plants
that the list is fairly limited and contains a number of trees. It is
worth bearing in mind that many of the constraints have been in place
for many years (since 1966 in a couple of cases) via the 12 Council
Directives that are being subsumed into the proposed reg.

Under Art 44 all other species not listed in Annex I will be the
subject of a more relaxed regime.
--
rbel
Old 27-04-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
T...

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:45:07 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote

Another daft proposal emanating from the Commissariat and with
potentially serious implications for all of us:

http://open-seeds.org/bad-seed-law/

I also understand that Barley Straw as used to cure green algae in ponds
is
also to be removed from sale as it's been decided it must be tested and
receive the necessary number to remain on sale. The costs would be too
much
for anyone to contemplate so it's coming off the shelves.

There's nothing to stop you buying barley straw for other purposes and
using it as you want.

It would be nice if people quoted the directive when posting things
like this.

or at least, the name of the Daily Mail journalist.

I'll bow to your knowledge about the Daily Mail having never read one, in
fact I haven't bought a British Newspaper in over 50 years.

The EU Directive is their Biocides Regulation and can be read here....

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/biocides/

I know the Trade has been lobbying for exemption and although promised it
would be in Annex 1 and excluded it hasn't appeared there yet. If it doesn't
get exemption then it's off the shelves.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbel[_2_] View Post
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:41:35 +0100, Jake lid
wrote:

I have had a quick trawl round the main eur legislation sites but no
sign of a draft of the regulation. In the event that anyone is
particularly interested in the probable impact of this and is able to
locate a draft let me know and I will put my pre-retirement hat on and
see if there is anything for non-commercial gardeners to be aware of,
other than a potential increase in seed prices.

This seems to be a draft:
http://www.seed-sovereignty.org/PDF/...e_material.pdf

From a quick read of the draft regulation there would seem to be
[...]

What Phil wrote was right. Let`s do what the French have always done, if they do not like one of the moronic rulings from Brussels, ignore it!!

Bigolob.
Old 28-04-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message

Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Jake" wrote

[...]

It is in neither the list of inclusions nor the list of non-
inclusions.
The biocides are identified by active chemical. Barley straw is not an
active chemical.

Well it must have an active chemical in it to do what it does.
The trade are saying that unless it gets exemption it will be withdrawn from
sale as no-one will pay for the testing/registering required.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.