Old 04-05-2013, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Things to plant in mid June on the allotment.

In article , says...

On 04/05/2013 17:58, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote in
:

The best source I've found, is the very large cardboard boxes obtainable from
electrical- white good showrooms. They often nhave to pay to dispose of them so are
glad to give them away (ready flattened and bundled up). A box that protected a
large freezer opens up to a good size. Overlap the edges of adjacent sheets; and
weight them down with bricks or planks so they can't blow around. I also pile
lawncuttings on top of the card.

Use a stanley knife to cut an X to plant through.

Other sharp knives are also available

I tend to pass on tips and experienced advice the way I do it. I use a stanley
knife.

Janet

I really don't see the reason for the cardboard.

It's an instant free mulch which smothers existing weeds to death and prevents
their seeds germinating. It conserves soil water and warmth and reduces the need for
watering.

I am sure that your neighbours are going to love it

They were puzzled at first but within weeks the cardboard was invisible under
lawm-mowings.. all neighbours were glad to contribute theirs. They happily consume
the edible produce, and bring their visitors and friends to admire and enjoy the
ornamental areas.. all created using this method.

Janet.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2013 18:50, Janet wrote:
[...]

I was wondering if the cardboard was being recommended to keep the
plants away from the ground and plant life that had been sprayed with
Roundup as the OP said he was doing, or where it fitted into his
proposed plan for the ground.
In the days when Newspapers were newspapers not these fiddly little
things they now sell I used multi sheets as a mulch, worked quite well.
David

Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I was considering growing a lot of leeks from seed so that they could
become established this year, and then harvest them first quarter next
year.

Likewise cabbage and perhaps some brussels.

Yeah. And kale, sprouting broccoli and swedes.
Old 16-05-2013, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:44:22 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Cant you plant right away with cardboard?

NT

Yes. But thats a lot of cardboard for an allotment. I realy think though
that is a sound idea. I have done it on a small scale. It works and rots
down nicely and makes maintenance easier. You can with the aid of a bulb
planter or dibber get straight through and plant away to your hearts
content.

Baz

Supermarkets are happy to save it if you ask. Some even stack it flat
and help you get it in your car.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 16-05-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:36:45 +0100, mogga
wrote:

On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:44:22 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Cant you plant right away with cardboard?

NT

Yes. But thats a lot of cardboard for an allotment. I realy think though
that is a sound idea. I have done it on a small scale. It works and rots
down nicely and makes maintenance easier. You can with the aid of a bulb
planter or dibber get straight through and plant away to your hearts
content.

Baz

Supermarkets are happy to save it if you ask. Some even stack it flat
and help you get it in your car.

Although by save I do mean for half an hour at some point to suit them
rather than store it for a week for you.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 16-05-2013, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:44:22 GMT, Baz wrote:

wrote in
:

Cant you plant right away with cardboard?

NT

Yes. But thats a lot of cardboard for an allotment. I realy think
though that is a sound idea. I have done it on a small scale. It works
and rots down nicely and makes maintenance easier. You can with the aid
of a bulb planter or dibber get straight through and plant away to your
hearts content.

Baz

Supermarkets are happy to save it if you ask. Some even stack it flat
and help you get it in your car.

Although by save I do mean for half an hour at some point to suit them
rather than store it for a week for you.

This might be a plan for future years.

However this year I want to concentrate on cleaning the ground and digging
in manure to get the soil ready for long term cultivation.

The stuff I just bunged in last year did not take off like a rocket
(although that might be due to lack of water when first establishing
itself) so I think that some gross feeding may be in order.

I also need to get the asparagus bed cleaned up and well fed, plus get
some food into the rhubarb and get the soft fruit cleaned around and some
food there as well.

Oh, and infrastructure like a flagged area and a shed and some water
storage, proper compost storage and manure storage (to allow weathering of
fresh stable manure) and cleaning out the boundary by the ditch to get rid
of weeds and ivy and find a bit more usable space if only for woodland
flowers.

Given my limited time at the moment due to other commitments I plan to
take things slow and steady and hopefully build a good base for future
years.

Cheers

Dave R