Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Smile White edges to cucumber leaves?

Hello everyone, I'm new on here and have recently been bitten by the gardening bug.

I've got some cucumber plants growing nicely but when I put them outside in my mini greenhouse some of the leaf edges seem to bleach? Any ideas?

Also, should I support them with a cane?

Thanks

Tim
Old 06-05-2013, 10:10 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLondon View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new on here and have recently been bitten by the gardening bug.

I've got some cucumber plants growing nicely but when I put them outside in my mini greenhouse some of the leaf edges seem to bleach? Any ideas?

Also, should I support them with a cane?
Possibly a cold shock if the nights in your mini greenhouse are colder than the conditions they've been growing in previously. It's getting a bit warmer, so they should recover OK. If it is because of cold, next year introduce them to it gradually, bringing them in at night for a while, for example.

I grow mine up canes - takes up less space, allows the cucumbers to hang down freely. They have self-clinging tendrils, so if you gently and loosely tie the stalk into the cane, they soon get the idea.
__________________
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Possibly a cold shock if the nights in your mini greenhouse are colder than the conditions they've been growing in previously. It's getting a bit warmer, so they should recover OK. If it is because of cold, next year introduce them to it gradually, bringing them in at night for a while, for example.

I grow mine up canes - takes up less space, allows the cucumbers to hang down freely. They have self-clinging tendrils, so if you gently and loosely tie the stalk into the cane, they soon get the idea.
Thanks for that, it could well have been the shock. Will try up canes as well. How long until the cucumbers appear, mine are about 4 weeks?

Can I also ask, I've got some trellis that gets about 3 hours direct sun a day (so not loads) and I want to grow either a fruit or vegetable up it, what would you recommend?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLondon View Post
Thanks for that, it could well have been the shock. Will try up canes as well. How long until the cucumbers appear, mine are about 4 weeks?

Can I also ask, I've got some trellis that gets about 3 hours direct sun a day (so not loads) and I want to grow either a fruit or vegetable up it, what would you recommend?
No idea how long they take, but it seems quick compared to, say, courgettes. You'll see them as tiny little "proto-cucumbers" behind the flower, and you can watch them as they get larger. Depending on which variety you're growing they could look more or less like the shop ones, or they could be shorter or have prickles. But once you've eaten your own, shop cucumbers just don't hold an attraction any more.

Trellis - I don't know. Peas and beans need a good bit of sun to flower well. You could consider hybrid blackberries (eg tayberry) which in my experience do all right in partial shade. They are vigorous and need a lot of space. But they crop well, and it's a high value crop, so you feel quite smug as you fill basins full of fruit.
__________________
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default White edges to cucumber leaves?

On 06/05/2013 15:54, TimLondon wrote:

kay;982584 Wrote:
Possibly a cold shock if the nights in your mini greenhouse are colder
than the conditions they've been growing in previously. It's getting a
bit warmer, so they should recover OK. If it is because of cold, next
year introduce them to it gradually, bringing them in at night for a
while, for example.

I grow mine up canes - takes up less space, allows the cucumbers to hang
down freely. They have self-clinging tendrils, so if you gently and
loosely tie the stalk into the cane, they soon get the idea.

Thanks for that, it could well have been the shock. Will try up canes as
well. How long until the cucumbers appear, mine are about 4 weeks?

Can I also ask, I've got some trellis that gets about 3 hours direct sun
a day (so not loads) and I want to grow either a fruit or vegetable up
it, what would you recommend?

I wouldn't rush to get then up canes, if they are on the ground you can
still cover if there is a threat of a late frost.
When they get to about 2 ft long should be early enough to tie them.
You don't say what type of cucumber you are growing.