Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Daffs

My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )
--
Pete C

Old 08-05-2013, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 22:26, Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

Not. The daffs need all their leaves working at maximum efficiency to
build up the bulb for next year.

--

Jeff
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 08/05/2013 22:26, Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

Not. The daffs need all their leaves working at maximum efficiency to
build up the bulb for next year.

Thanks Jeff.
--
Pete C

Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 8 May 2013 22:26:24 +0100, Pete C wrote:

My daffs have now finished.

Ours are in full bloom, at last. They started to flower on Monday.

Do I bend in half and tie or not.

No, leave them until they die back. If they are in a mowed area don't mow
them until they die back either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 01:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 8 May 2013 22:26:24 +0100, Pete C wrote:

My daffs have now finished.

Ours are in full bloom, at last. They started to flower on Monday.

Do I bend in half and tie or not.

No, leave them until they die back. If they are in a mowed area don't mow
them until they die back either.

I always follow the way the council treat those planted in their verges,
as these seem to do well, also they employ professionals, that works for me.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

I've never seen anyone do that before, until I saw my neighbour do it yesterday!
She said "I know you're not meant to do it, but ... "

Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May 2013 11:19:30 GMT, wrote:

Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

I've never seen anyone do that before, until I saw my neighbour do it yesterday!
She said "I know you're not meant to do it, but ... "

Years ago I was told to tie daffs. I thought that was a stupid idea
and so ignored it.

Steve

Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 22:32, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 08/05/2013 22:26, Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

Not. The daffs need all their leaves working at maximum efficiency to
build up the bulb for next year.

Tis true. They need to be left for 6-8 weeks in order for the leaves to
feed the bulb. You could give them a high potash feed to help them along.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

You could give them a high potash feed to help them along.

Thanks for that
--
Pete C

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

I've never seen anyone do that before, until I saw my neighbour do it
yesterday!
She said "I know you're not meant to do it, but ... "

I remember my parents doing it but couldn't fathom why.
--
Pete C

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.
(Name and email are real )

I've never seen anyone do that before, until I saw my neighbour do it
yesterday!
She said "I know you're not meant to do it, but ... "

Years ago I was told to tie daffs. I thought that was a stupid idea
and so ignored it.

Steve

It's something very old gardeners used to do to make things look
tidier. I think most of us can think of better things to do with the
time!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-05-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/9/2013 9:54 AM, Sacha wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme said:
wrote:
Pete C wrote:
My daffs have now finished. Do I bend in half and tie or not.

I've never seen anyone do that before, until I saw my neighbour do it
yesterday!
She said "I know you're not meant to do it, but ... "

Years ago I was told to tie daffs. I thought that was a stupid idea
and so ignored it.

It's something very old gardeners used to do to make things look tidier.
I think most of us can think of better things to do with the time!

I visited a garden a few years ago, where the gardener had _plaited_ the
leaves before tying them!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:14:41 +0100, Spider wrote:

Tis true. They need to be left for 6-8 weeks in order for the leaves to
feed the bulb. You could give them a high potash feed to help them
along.

Is the right time for this just when their done? I wanted to feed some
blind ones this year, but am not sure when to do it.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 18:05, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:14:41 +0100, Spider wrote:

Tis true. They need to be left for 6-8 weeks in order for the leaves to
feed the bulb. You could give them a high potash feed to help them
along.

Is the right time for this just when their done? I wanted to feed some
blind ones this year, but am not sure when to do it.

Feed ASAP
Now with this bit of rain you could use a liquid tomato feed, and water
it on.

As for tying spent daffs, this was common 50/60 years ago it left a
small garden tidy, but we used to fold a clump of leaves over and slip a
rubber band over them, a lot easier than tying.
David @ a stormy end of Swansea Bay, Mumbles head recorded wind gusting
to 71 mph 2 to 3pm today
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 09 May 2013 18:30:26 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Feed ASAP

OK, thanks. Yes I have some tomato feed, but crystals to water in.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy