Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Redcurrant extreme

The number of becoming-berries on the redcurrants this year is about 20x as many as last year. Even the new cuttings are trying to fruit this year! Why are they so prolific this year? I did prune it over winter, though not as much as is generally recommended. Anything I can do to help as many as possible ripen?

It gets sun from about 1pm on, and we're in the mild south

NT
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

NT wrote

The number of becoming-berries on the redcurrants this year is about 20x as
many as last year. Even the new cuttings are trying to fruit this year! Why
are they so prolific this year? I did prune it over winter, though not as
much as is generally recommended. Anything I can do to help as many as
possible ripen?

It gets sun from about 1pm on, and we're in the mild south

Yes, keep the mice away or you will lose the lot.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:36:29 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
NT wrote

The number of becoming-berries on the redcurrants this year is about 20x as
many as last year. Even the new cuttings are trying to fruit this year! Why
are they so prolific this year? I did prune it over winter, though not as
much as is generally recommended. Anything I can do to help as many as
possible ripen?

It gets sun from about 1pm on, and we're in the mild south

Yes, keep the mice away or you will lose the lot.

Consider it done thanks

NT
Old 11-05-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
NT wrote

The number of becoming-berries on the redcurrants this year is about
20x as
many as last year. Even the new cuttings are trying to fruit this year!
Why
are they so prolific this year? I did prune it over winter, though not
as
much as is generally recommended. Anything I can do to help as many as
possible ripen?

It gets sun from about 1pm on, and we're in the mild south

Yes, keep the mice away or you will lose the lot.

Consider it done thanks

Never heard of mice going for red currants before, I've always lost mine to
birds at the first flush of colour

The first cropping year we had our red current bush we had a good crop, the
second year there was a good crop ripening then it all disappeared. Some
days later I was tidying up our brassicas and found heaps of red currents
under the old cabbage leaves. Obviously stored there by mice as they do
that.
Similar with our cherries, netted against the birds but they still all got
taken so this year I'm working on baffles on the trunks to stop mice
climbing up as well as netting against birds. The only problem is if it's
two legged thieves.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Redcurrant issue NT United Kingdom 14 09-11-2011 06:23 PM
Extreme Makeover - Extreme Novice ger_ryan22 Gardening 1 12-04-2010 08:06 PM
Flowering redcurrant? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 33 16-02-2004 11:28 PM
Flowering redcurrant? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 2 15-02-2004 07:01 PM
Redcurrant buds Tim United Kingdom 2 16-05-2003 08:20 AM