Old 16-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
'10 poisonous mushrooms to watch out for in Britain - Telegraph'
(http://tinyurl.com/cb6wzlr)[/i][/color]

Useful site, good pictures. Thank you.

Pam in Bristol
Actually the first photo is quite misleading. It might simply be an untypical specimen, but I think it is more likely it is just wrong. It is an important fact to realise that Amanita phalloides, the Death Cap, is rather variable in appearance, and, whilst it usually has a smooth cap, it does sometimes retain some veil fragments on the cap. But the particular pattern of veil fragments we see here is entirely typical of Amanita citrina, the False Death Cap, as a quick google images search confirms. So I think it much more likely they have accidentally given us a photo of the False Death Cap by mistake. A citrina is unlikely to poison you unless you eat it in large quantities, but the best reason not to eat it is that they are hard to tell apart, as this mistake reminds us.