Old 15-05-2013, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Marshalls Seeds - quick check

I am on their mailing list and now subject to temptation.

Especially, thinking of buying some yellow courgette plants because I've
tried to buy from local sources and grow from seed for the last few years
and have ended up with no fruit or green fruit.

So having an on line order for yellow fruiting courgettes seems a good way
to have some come back.

The concern is delivery of poor quality plants.

Have people had good experiences with Marshalls?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 15-05-2013, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/2013 10:51, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I am on their mailing list and now subject to temptation.

Especially, thinking of buying some yellow courgette plants because I've
tried to buy from local sources and grow from seed for the last few years
and have ended up with no fruit or green fruit.

So having an on line order for yellow fruiting courgettes seems a good way
to have some come back.

The concern is delivery of poor quality plants.

Have people had good experiences with Marshalls?

Cheers

Dave R

There are mainly yellow courgette plants near here, in fact the green
are quite rare. Last year I bought some yellow, for the first time I had
almost complete failure of courgettes.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 15, 10:51*am, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
I am on their mailing list and now subject to temptation.

Especially, thinking of buying some yellow courgette plants because I've
tried to buy from local sources and grow from seed for the last few years
and have ended up with no fruit or green fruit.

So having an on line order for yellow fruiting courgettes seems a good way
to have some come back.

The concern is delivery of poor quality plants.

Have people had good experiences with Marshalls?

Cheers

Dave R

Yes I think they are good but a bit pricey now. This year I bought my
seed from Dobies who are cheaper (probably less seed in the packet.) I
have been a customer of Marshalls for about 25 years and have always
been happy with their products. The only plants I have bought from
them were asparagus crowns - still doing well.

Jonathan
Old 16-05-2013, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 May 2013 00:16:47 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

On May 15, 10:51Â*am, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Thanks - good feedback :-)
Old 16-05-2013, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May 2013 09:51:51 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

I am on their mailing list and now subject to temptation.

Especially, thinking of buying some yellow courgette plants because I've
tried to buy from local sources and grow from seed for the last few years
and have ended up with no fruit or green fruit.

So having an on line order for yellow fruiting courgettes seems a good way
to have some come back.

The concern is delivery of poor quality plants.

Have people had good experiences with Marshalls?

Cheers

Dave R

I hzave bought veg seed from Marshalls for years. I've had no
problems, any failures are due to me, not the seed!
I've grown yellow courgettes successfully.

Pam in Bristol

Old 16-05-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-16 08:16:47 +0100, Jonathan said:

[...]

Just a general query - have any of you bought seeds from Tuckers or
from Nicky's Nursery? I ask because Istr a germination trial a couple
of years ago showed that both sold seeds with a good germination rate.
http://www.tuckers-seeds.com/
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...able-seeds.htm

You'll see our name on the Tuckers site but that's because we have a
small plant sales area there, not because we sell seeds!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-05-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I've grown yellow courgettes successfully.

I've given up with yellow courgettes, they always seem a lot ... seedier than
green ones.
Old 16-05-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 08:16:47 +0100, Jonathan said:

[...]

I have bought from Tuckers, but only because everywhere else such as T&M,
Suttons and Marshalls etc. were 3 times the price.
Parkers are good and cheap....read economical. And reliable IME,
I have no idea how the big 3 seed companies price their products! Almost
twisting.

Baz
Old 16-05-2013, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-16 12:00:26 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 08:16:47 +0100, Jonathan said:

[...]

Does that mean you didn't continue to buy from Tuckers because the
germination rate was poor, Baz?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-05-2013, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2013 12:27, Sacha wrote:
Does that mean you didn't continue to buy from Tuckers because the
germination rate was poor, Baz?

Seeds from Nikki's and Tuckers seem to be okay for me, Kings is very
cheap and worth a look though not a huge range though i got a packet of
tomato seeds called "Christmas lights" or something similar from them
free at Malvern show last week.

I like the germination of Moles seeds but again they don't stock like
the normal everyday seed people.

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Old 17-05-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 12:00:26 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 08:16:47 +0100, Jonathan said:

[...]

No. It was the high price, Sacha.

Baz
Old 17-05-2013, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-17 11:02:38 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 12:00:26 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-16 08:16:47 +0100, Jonathan said:

[...]

Ah, I thought you meant the others were more expensive. I was in
Tuckers this morning but didn't think to look at seed prices. I will
next time!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-05-2013, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-17 11:02:38 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

The others, T&M, Suttons and Marshalls etc. ARE more expensive by a long
way. Tuckers are cheaper by comparison. I thought I had made that clear.
Tuckers ARE cheaper, but still very dear compared to, say, Carters or
Parkers.
Everything we do here in our house has to have a budget. Even for seed or
anything to do with the garden. I try hard to keep to that budget.

Baz