Old 21-05-2013, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy Gardening Gloves

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks
Old 21-05-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

I saw a pair of men's gloves in B&Q yesterday evening which claimed to be
"thorn resistant":

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...skuId=10709025

I know the description says "ladies" but they're mens.

Old 21-05-2013, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:09:37 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks

For heavy gloves I avoid garden centres and the sheds and go to a
builders' merchant. In fact, these days, I get all my gardening gloves
from one. Usually a lot cheaper.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 21-05-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote ...

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Welders Gloves
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/41031...ders-gauntlets
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-05-2013, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/05/2013 18:09, Tom Gardner wrote:
I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks

What do you need a pair for?
IF I wear gloves then it's just one on my left hand to pull brambles etc
my right hand holds the secateurs and I don't like using them with gloves.
The problem with gloves is you tend to grab much harder and force thorns
through the gloves.
I mostly work bare handed and have a happy evening with a needle
removing stray thorns.

Old 21-05-2013, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
[...]

I have the other glove, of course!

The problem with gloves is you tend to grab much harder and force thorns through the gloves.

Not with my current glove, but I strongly suspect
that would be the result with the gloves I've seen
but haven't bought. Hence my question.

I mostly work bare handed and have a happy evening with a needle removing stray thorns.

Ah, that is clearly a definition of "happy" that
I'm not familiar with

Old 21-05-2013, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

[...]

I have small hands, so that's not a problem.

More of a problem is my suspicion of B&Q's specifications;
in fact it looks like it is merely woven on the back of
the hand - so that's where I'd be punctured

Nonetheless, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Old 21-05-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks

For heavy gloves I avoid garden centres and the sheds and go to a
builders' merchant. In fact, these days, I get all my gardening gloves
from one. Usually a lot cheaper.

Seems very sensible. IIRC the last time I looked I
didn't see anything notably better in the builders
merchants. But I need to verify that.

Thanks.

Old 21-05-2013, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote ...

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Welders Gloves
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/41031...ders-gauntlets

That's an interesting idea; I'll follow it up.

Old 21-05-2013, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/05/2013 22:04, Tom Gardner wrote:
David Hill wrote:
[...]

That lovely feeling as the last thorn is removed.
No pain no gain
Old 21-05-2013, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:36:56 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Welders Gloves
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/41031...ders-gauntlets

Aldi sometimes have them just in case you go in for a tin of beans and
come out with a welder which seems to be their marketing strategy.
Got the missus a lovely bright red pair and told her they were oven
gloves. she doesnt burn her arms on the oven surround now.

G.Harman
Old 22-05-2013, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Tom Gardner" wrote ...

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Welders Gloves
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/41031...ders-gauntlets

I'll second that.

Mike
Old 22-05-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

wrote:

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks

For heavy gloves I avoid garden centres and the sheds and go to a
builders' merchant. In fact, these days, I get all my gardening gloves
from one. Usually a lot cheaper.

I agree.
I get all my gardening accesories from builders merchants. Sometimes you
have to order an item from their catalogue but it is usually only 24hrs
delivery. The counter staff are IME, very helpful too.

Baz