Old 21-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Mary McHugh

Default New gardening gloves

With all the cold wet weather we've been having here in the northeast, I
have to content myself with small steps. I went to a local nursery to
pick up some plum tomatoes and I spied a new glove on the display by the
checkout. It's called "The Ultimate Summer Glove". It's got latex
fingers and palm with a polyester knit back.

Normally I just use good dishwashing gloves (Playtex or the like) in the
garden because they have the best finger feel. The downside is that
they're not particularly sturdy so it's easy to puncture or rip them and
because they can't breathe, my hands are soaked after a short bit.

I usually take a medium but I was able to squeeze comfortably into the
small size, which made for a better fit around my fingers. They're very
comfortable and even though the latex fingers are a little thicker than
the dishwashing gloves, I could still discriminate while pulling weeds.

So, so far so good. We'll see if my hands sweat if it ever warms up
around here. Oh, and they're supposed to be machine washable.

Sigh. If only I could post about my awesome tomatoes and eggplant instead.

Mary

Old 21-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Jim Carter

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:19:42 -0400, Mary McHugh wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Sigh. If only I could post about my awesome tomatoes and eggplant instead.

My tomatoes have just started to set fruit. There are three baby Stupice toms
and one each of Early Girl and Ultra Sweet. All tomatoes except Cherokee Purple
and one of the two White Beauties have blooms. Oh, and Bonny Best does not have
anything, but she is recovering from an earlier problem. The Red and Pink
Brandywines are having some sort of bud race.

Sweet 100 and a Grape Tomato (no telling what will happen as it is an F2) seem
to be in a competition for number of blooms. Sweet 100 has a slight lead.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:49:00 -0400, Jim Carter
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:19:42 -0400, Mary McHugh wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Sigh. If only I could post about my awesome tomatoes and eggplant instead.

My tomatoes have just started to set fruit. There are three baby Stupice toms
and one each of Early Girl and Ultra Sweet. All tomatoes except Cherokee Purple
and one of the two White Beauties have blooms. Oh, and Bonny Best does not have
anything, but she is recovering from an earlier problem. The Red and Pink
Brandywines are having some sort of bud race.

We have fruit on at least one of our Early Girls - it's
growing in a pot near our front door.

We probably have fruit on the others too, but I can't get to
them as the monsoons continue and our garden is again a
lake...

Pat
Old 21-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Jim Carter

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:49:15 -0400, Pat Meadows wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

We probably have fruit on the others too, but I can't get to
them as the monsoons continue and our garden is again a
lake...

We are fortunate in that the nasty weather passed three days ago and we have had
sunshine since and is forecast at least until Wednesday. Temperature will
actually hit 90F on at least one day. I am basking in the sunlight as much as
the plants are. All plants are suddenly growing, especially my wife's
wee...,er,flowers.

I have two Dufresne tomato plants this year; they are a Québec heirloom. They
are rare pink types, supposed to be tasty. If they live up to my hopes then I
will save some seeds and grow them again. If any anyone reading this has any
information on the Dufresne tomatoes (not Dufresne #2) then I would genuinely
appreciate hearing the information or having a link to it.

Anyway, you can eat your heart out with this. Temperatures are in centigrade
and the highs are 80°F or higher. Hmmm...that day of 34° is well over 90°F.

Today : Sunny. High 28. Maximum UV index 7.5 or high.

Tonight : Clear. Low 13.

Sunday : Sunny. High 29.

Monday : Sunny. Low 17. High 30.

Tuesday : Sunny. Low 19. High 32.

Wednesday : Sunny with cloudy periods. Low 19. High 34.

--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 21-06-2003, 04:32 PM
The Cook

Mary McHugh wrote:

[...]

Your gloves sound like the ones I bought earlier this year. Not as
flexible as Playtex, but yesterday I trimmed back a rose bush and
picked up the clippings with not thorns in the fingers.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Old 21-06-2003, 05:56 PM

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:19:42 -0400, Mary McHugh
wrote:

[...]

Normally I just use good dishwashing gloves (Playtex or the like) in the
garden because they have the best finger feel. The downside is that
they're not particularly sturdy so it's easy to puncture or rip them and
because they can't breathe, my hands are soaked after a short bit.

[...]

I use the "surgical" gloves sold by the box at pharmacies. They
are sturdy enough to handle almost everything that doesn't involve
rose thorns -- even pulling stubborn weeds. Environmental-wise
it means tossing them after nearly every use, but they are
convenient, fit my hands, and have good "feel" so I stay with them,
mea culpa!.

--

Polar
Old 24-06-2003, 06:30 AM
Noydb

Mary McHugh wrote:
Sigh. If only I could post about my awesome tomatoes and eggplant
instead.

I planted Mortgage Lifters this year. I got off to a late start and they
only had the first set of leaves when I transplanted them on April 19. In
the past week they have finally 'kicked in' to overdrive. They now have
buds on them despite being only about 18" tall.

Been getting a very good crop of strawberries. I have about 100 sq ft in
strawberries and have been picking 2# - 4# per day for the past week or so.

Tried mesclun mix this year ... next year I won't plant nearly as much of it
because it grows quite a bit faster than Avis & I can eat it!

Last fall I planted garlic sandwiched between layers of compost. I'm looking
forward to seeing how they liked that. When I poke a finger alongside them
they feel like they are big.

Well, I'd brag more but I gotta get to bed. :-)

Bill
Detroit, MI