Old 24-05-2013, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Courgettes poorly

I brought on a couple of courgettes in the garage, they got rather large
for indoors so I carefully hardened them over a week. However since
planting them out, with this miserable cold weather they have regressed.
While still alive only the very centre of the plants remain green.
should I cut my losses and buy replacements or might they survive?
As an aside the seeds are taking a lot longer this year to germinate, I
suspect the plants have got more sense than us and are staying tucked up!
Old 24-05-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I brought on a couple of courgettes in the garage, they got rather large
for indoors so I carefully hardened them over a week. However since
planting them out, with this miserable cold weather they have regressed.
While still alive only the very centre of the plants remain green.
should I cut my losses and buy replacements or might they survive?
As an aside the seeds are taking a lot longer this year to germinate, I
suspect the plants have got more sense than us and are staying tucked up!

I think I would have hardened them off for longer, at
least a week outside during the day and in at night,
then similar time frame leaving them out at night,
unless very cold night forecast.

I gave up on courgette seed this year. Planted six
seeds over a month ago indoors (cold bedroom), nothing
germinated, so I bought some last weekend at the Royal
Welsh Spring Fair.

Slugs round here love courgettes, lost them all last
year. This year, they are surrounded by slug pellets,
some of which is under cover, so I'm hoping for
success!

I also have had very slow/poor germination of seeds in
general this year, particularly those left over from
last year. I keep them in the garage, which is an
integral part of the house so never really gets the
frost in. In fact the dahlia's are stored there and
they seem to be shooting well now. I do wonder if it
was the combination of cold and damp (wet car) over
the winter that got the seeds.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 26-05-2013, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I brought on a couple of courgettes in the garage, they got rather large
for indoors so I carefully hardened them over a week. However since
planting them out, with this miserable cold weather they have regressed.
While still alive only the very centre of the plants remain green. should I
cut my losses and buy replacements or might they survive?

They might survive, but you probably planted them too early. It's not too
late to sow another few. They are horribly tender.
I only sowed mine a couple of weeks ago and they are still in the
greenhouse.

I did very well with them last year. I could hardly keep up with the crop.

Looking at my diary for last year, I planted them out on 15th June on a heap
of chicken muck and they went crazy. I filled my freezer with them and my
neighbours started to avoid me. One or two got away and grew into marrows
so I left them on the doorstep of a friend with a recipe for stuffed
marrow..

Old 26-05-2013, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Broadback" wrote
[...]

We just throw the excess on the compost heap unless a neighbour has asked
for some, saves annoying people and wasting our time walking around asking.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Poorly pond - update (longish) Smith Ponds (alternative) 0 09-07-2003 09:20 PM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
poorly Ceanothus proteus Gardening 2 31-05-2003 04:44 PM
wisteria poorly minerva nine Texas 5 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Poorly Lemon tree sparky United Kingdom 7 13-12-2002 10:32 AM