Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default One born every minute?

On 09/06/2013 22:29, David Hill wrote:
As I knew them when I lived in Hastings, Rock Salmon and Robin Huss
were other names for Dogfish,
The best thing with chips.

so true ................

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2013 22:25, David Hill wrote:
For the benefit of the youngsters in the group who don't remember pre
decimal days
2/3d is about 11p
1/9d is about 9p

not if you take into account inflation David!! I got 5 pounds 10
shillings per week when i started in the Civil Service as a CO.!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2013 12:56, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 09/06/2013 22:25, David Hill wrote:
For the benefit of the youngsters in the group who don't remember pre
decimal days
2/3d is about 11p
1/9d is about 9p

not if you take into account inflation David!! I got 5 pounds 10
shillings per week when i started in the Civil Service as a CO.!

With or without inflation 2/3d is about 11p , 1/9d is about 9p.
I'm talking about the equivalent cash value coin for coin.
When I started work I got £3.00 a week working on a farm near Henley,
living in.
Then when I was working on the Parks in Hastings, early 60's, I remember
we had a pay rise of 1/9p (9p) a week.
David @ a still arid part of Swansea Bay

Old 10-06-2013, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/13 21:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 09/06/2013 19:58, Pam Moore wrote:
I also remember compliaining to a fish and chip man in Penzance that a
cod lot was 2/3

oh ugh give me rock slamon aka gurnet or huss every time

Rock salmon is coaley

Rock eel is huss, usk, rock, spined dogfish or bireach

Gurnard is a totally different (bony) fish.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2013 14:47, RustyHinge wrote:
On 09/06/13 21:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 09/06/2013 19:58, Pam Moore wrote:
I also remember compliaining to a fish and chip man in Penzance that a
cod lot was 2/3

oh ugh give me rock slamon aka gurnet or huss every time

Rock salmon is coaley

Rock eel is huss, usk, rock, spined dogfish or bireach

Gurnard is a totally different (bony) fish.

Not where I come from and it should be coley fish
Rock salmon, also called rock eel, flake, and huss, is a dish popular in
England, and can be one of many species of small shark, including the
spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)

Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/13 15:02, David Hill wrote:
On 10/06/2013 14:47, RustyHinge wrote:
On 09/06/13 21:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 09/06/2013 19:58, Pam Moore wrote:
I also remember compliaining to a fish and chip man in Penzance that a
cod lot was 2/3

oh ugh give me rock slamon aka gurnet or huss every time

Rock salmon is coaley

Rock eel is huss, usk, rock, spined dogfish or bireach

Gurnard is a totally different (bony) fish.

Not where I come from and it should be coley fish
Rock salmon, also called rock eel, flake, and huss, is a dish popular in
England, and can be one of many species of small shark, including the
spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias)

I'm going on textbooks, Billingsgate lore, and my experience as CEO of a
fish-handling company.

'Tis true that there are local differences inwhat fish are called (well,
not just fish...), but rock eel and rock salmon are different fish -
different types of fish altogether.

The 'eel' comes from the cartilaginous nature of the bones. For the
other, 'salmon' is applied in the hope of upgrading the image of a fish
(saithe) which in days of yore was considered as only fit for the cat.
(I like it though, and lithe - or lythe).

These days I suspect there's an EC directive that you can't call a fish
'rock eel' unless it *is* an eel, likewise an embargo on rock 'salmon'.

On the east side of the Isle of Lewis huss, usk, dogfish, rock eel,
bireach- whatever you want to call them are seldom eaten, but those
people of the west side are more discerning: they skin them and put them
under rocks at low tide, allow the tide to cover them, and collect them
salted to perfection.

--
Rusty Hinge