Old 29-05-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default May Mushroom

It's that time again, I've got mushrooms under the (relatively new) almond tree,
and we're looking for hints in identification.

With usual provisos - yes, we're not going to eat them; yes, we know you can't tell
much just from a photo; no, we're not going to poison anyone with them; no, we're
not going to sell them to the local school kids; etc

http://comps.org/vicky/may_mushroom.jpg

The tops are brown and the whole thing looked almost spherical. The brown was
very shiny but it was damp. You couldn't really see the base, as it was growing
up between stones, but when I took one out you could see the white fluffy stuff
I have forgotten the name of, with no underground growth to speak of. The size
should be obvious from the scale in the photo, but was approx 1.25 inches across.

Old 29-05-2013, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

[...]

Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.
R.

Old 29-05-2013, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ragnar wrote:
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.

From the underside, but the top is brown.
Old 29-05-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.

From the underside, but the top is brown.

There are several Agaricus like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2013, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.

From the underside, but the top is brown.

I often see field mushrooms with brown caps. And they taste just as good.
Not suggesting that Vicky should take my word for it of course.
R.

Old 30-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

It's difficult to be sure because of colour reproduction, however it's NOT a common Field Mushroom, My susgestion is that it's either Agaricus subrufescens, or if there any conifers near by, Agaricus silvaticus or Tricholoma vaccinum
Old 30-05-2013, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Granity wrote:
It's difficult to be sure because of colour reproduction, however it's

The colour reproduction is quite good for me, although it may depend more on
your monitor than the photo quality.

NOT a common Field Mushroom, My susgestion is that it's either Agaricus
subrufescens, or if there any conifers near by, Agaricus silvaticus or
Tricholoma vaccinum

Web search photos all show them to be a bit flaky looking on the top, where
this was very smooth, although I guess it could have been because it was young
and had been raining.

Interesting stuff here though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almond_...Commercial_use

"Because Agaricus subrufescens contains a high level of beta glucans,
compounds known for stimulating the immune system,[7][8][9] the fungus is
used in oncological therapy in Japan and Brazil ... "
Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.

From the underside, but the top is brown.

do not eat it. I did once eat a mushroom from my garden and spent 24 hours
on the toilet.
It looked innocuous. It wasn't.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Christina, instead of sounding like a stuck needle every time someone mentions mushrooms, perhaps you could explain what you thought the mushroom was, how you managed to misidentify it and what reference works you used. This would be much more use to others on here. :-)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I don't think this is Agaricus. The stem looks rather tough and fibrous for that, and also it has a well-defined hollow section - now Ag stems can become hollow with age, but this doesn't look old. Also shiny top is unusual for Ag. Also it is rather an odd time of year for agaricus to be appearing, though I have occasionally seen some out-of-season ones, often big fat ones on grass verges by roads. Also up between stones is an odd location for an Agaricus, with the exception of A bitorquis the "pavement mushroom", but it isn't that. Immature Agaricus have white gills which become dark brown on maturity. If this is an Agaricus, its gills are surprisingly pale for such a well-expanded cap. Even if it is an Agaricus, never eat one until its gills have darkened because you can't be sure until then.

Something fairly small with a brown cap growing up between stones in May is very unlikely to be of culinary interest. The interesting things that grow at this time of year are mostly St Georges mushrooms and morels.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-02 19:01:38 +0100, Christina Websell said:

wrote in message
Ragnar wrote:
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.

From the underside, but the top is brown.

do not eat it. I did once eat a mushroom from my garden and spent 24
hours on the toilet.
It looked innocuous. It wasn't.

She has already said she has no intention of eating it. Saying it made
you very ill would suffice, btw - some of us have a vivid imagination!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
[...]

No Name, I think what we need are some more photos, one showing them growing, a view of the cap a 3/4 view from top and bottom and one from the side after you have cut the mushroom in half length ways from the bottom of the stem to the top of the cap. Please make sure you get the whole of the stem as the bottom of it is important.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
It's that time again, I've got mushrooms under the (relatively new) almond tree,
and we're looking for hints in identification.

With usual provisos - yes, we're not going to eat them; yes, we know you can't tell
much just from a photo; no, we're not going to poison anyone with them; no, we're
not going to sell them to the local school kids; etc

http://comps.org/vicky/may_mushroom.jpg

The tops are brown and the whole thing looked almost spherical. The brown was
very shiny but it was damp. You couldn't really see the base, as it was growing
up between stones, but when I took one out you could see the white fluffy stuff
I have forgotten the name of, with no underground growth to speak of. The size
should be obvious from the scale in the photo, but was approx 1.25 inches across.

A good /starting/ point is to look at http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
particularly the "visual key" and "easy key" and "glossary".
From that you will gain an understanding of:
- what aspects of a fungus are used when making an identification,
and therefore what info/pictures you need to supply
- why several photos are necessary
- how/when to eat/avoid fungi
and be able to compare your specimen with the examples shown.

I'm not going to attempt to identify your specimen because I
don't think you've given sufficient information and, as you
are well aware, mis-identification could have serious consequences.

Sorry.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/05/13 11:59, wrote:
It's that time again, I've got mushrooms under the (relatively new) almond tree,
and we're looking for hints in identification.

With usual provisos - yes, we're not going to eat them; yes, we know you can't tell
much just from a photo; no, we're not going to poison anyone with them; no, we're
not going to sell them to the local school kids; etc

http://comps.org/vicky/may_mushroom.jpg

The tops are brown and the whole thing looked almost spherical. The brown was
very shiny but it was damp. You couldn't really see the base, as it was growing
up between stones, but when I took one out you could see the white fluffy stuff
I have forgotten the name of, with no underground growth to speak of. The size
should be obvious from the scale in the photo, but was approx 1.25 inches across.

Far too large to look at that. Try reducing the pic to (say) 800 pixels
wide, and saving it at 25%

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/06/13 13:31, echinosum wrote:
;984238 Wrote:
In article
, wrote:-
Ragnar
wrote:-
Looks like common Field Mushroom to me.-

From the underside, but the top is brown.-

There are several Agaricus like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I don't think this is Agaricus. The stem looks rather tough and fibrous
for that, and also it has a well-defined hollow section - now Ag stems
can become hollow with age, but this doesn't look old. Also shiny top
is unusual for Ag. Also it is rather an odd time of year for agaricus
to be appearing, though I have occasionally seen some out-of-season
ones, often big fat ones on grass verges by roads.

Those are most likely to be A. bitorquis, but they tend to have white
caps,sometimes with a little scaly brown.

Also up between
stones is an odd location for an Agaricus, with the exception of A
bitorquis the "pavement mushroom", but it isn't that. Immature Agaricus
have white gills which become dark brown on maturity. If this is an
Agaricus, its gills are surprisingly pale for such a well-expanded cap.
Even if it is an Agaricus, never eat one until its gills have darkened
because you can't be sure until then.

Something fairly small with a brown cap growing up between stones in May
is very unlikely to be of culinary interest. The interesting things
that grow at this time of year are mostly St Georges mushrooms and
morels.

Yes, morels are thin on the ground here, and St. George has come about a
month late,due to the dry spring. (Got some in the fridge.)

--
Rusty Hinge